User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    do you think 60 amp is too much?
    Probably overkill for a charge line coming from the truck. I used the 60A for my F450 onboard air compressor.

@LMagelitz suggested 30A which I'd think would be plenty. You can get those same resettable breakers in a variety of amperages.
    signature

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    My charge wire is a 10 gauge. I wouldn’t fuse higher than 30a if yours is the same.
    Thanks. That’s what I figured. Just wanted a second set of eyes per se. [emoji16]

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but the other end is connected to your trailer batteries which will continue to feed the short. You really need to fuse the battery end of that circuit as well. Safe Travels.................
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Probably overkill for a charge line coming from the truck. I used the 60A for my F450 onboard air compressor.

@LMagelitz suggested 30A which I'd think would be plenty. You can get those same resettable breakers in a variety of amperages.
    Thanks @jjbbrewer. Probably go with 30 combined with one of these.

https://a.co/d/6xqSfFU

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Wouldn't it be same amperage as the truck fuse? I'm trying to think what the RV batts would feed in the truck?
    They don’t feed anything in the truck, at least not on purpose. The wire is there to charge (albeit slowly) the coach batteries when the truck is running. So the normal feed is to the coach batteries, BUT that wire works in both directions. If there is a fault anywhere along it, both the truck batts will feed the fault and the coach batteries will feed the fault. The truck fuse will clear the truck batteries, but if there is no fuse on the charge wire where it terminates in the coach, the coach batteries will feed the fault until the wire burns up.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Wouldn't that +12vdc line be protected by a fuse in the truck?
    Yes, it is, but the coach batteries are also a source that can feed any fault in that wire. Therefore, it needs to be protected from that source as well.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    This is good info. Instead of a fuse, I might suggest this device & pick the amperage of your choice.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LYG7ZYF

Attachment 45663
    I think this might be a better option than a fuse as well, because it says “ignition protected.” In other words, if it operates, it won’t ignite any flammable vapors that might be present in the compartment. I know the Progressive Dynamics transfer switches are NOT “ignition protected”, and they don’t want them mounted anywhere around lead acid batteries or a generator. I can’t say that makes a lot of sense to me since the LA batts are in vented boxes, and any Genny is in a fire box, but I presume there are regulations dictating such. Someone else here may know specifics about that.

Edit: looks like MEGA and AMG fuses are ignition protected. Probably others as well..
    Last edited by LMagelitz; 04-02-2023 at 02:42 PM.
    Larry and JoAnna

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don’t feed anything in the truck, at least not on purpose. The wire is there to charge (albeit slowly) the coach batteries when the truck is running.
    No but they do power the breakaway switch if LCI is correct - the truck does not. Below is from Lippert on this page (https://store.lci1.com/blog/help-my-...isnt-working):

"The voltage source for the breakaway switch is supplied by the trailer battery system, not the truck battery....

Also, verify there is no fuse located in that circuit. There could be an auto-reset circuit breaker, but never a fuse."

EDIT: In my case, I installed the BlueSea and it cuts off everything, including the breakaway switch. In the event I forget to turn the disconnect switch to the on position prior to towing, that could become a safety issue. So I believe I'll be doing some re-wiring.
    Last edited by ajg617; 04-02-2023 at 03:24 PM.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to rework the daisy-chained mess that surrounded the 12v batts in our 310gk, before I install the genny and take up most of the working room. The batt covers were never installed properly either. I installed a ground bus, a 12v bus, and otherwise inspected what feeds what. The 10ga charge wire coming from the truck is NOT fused on the coach end (at least not in the front compartment). For any fault on that wire, even tho the truck fuse will clear, the coach batts will continue to feed the fault until the wire burns up. Maybe mine is one of a kind, but others might want to check. Attachment 44395
    Okay, I’m confused. Which wire is coming from the 7 pin connector on Pin 4 (charge circuit). If you are pointing to the black wires, it looks like there is a circuit breaker between the terminal with the red wire and the terminal with the two black wires. Can’t see enough of the circuit to see where any of the wires go.

On my 303RLS, there is only one wire on the positive side of the battery feed that doesn’t go through a circuit breaker or fuse and that is the breakaway switch for the brakes. Since that circuit is normally open at the disconnect, there is no need for a fuse.

Am I seeing this wrong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83193A31-81C7-40D7-91F5-BF005F5E9181.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	45684
    Last edited by Jomani; 04-02-2023 at 03:54 PM.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    No but they do power the breakaway switch if LCI is correct - the truck does not. Below is from Lippert on this page (https://store.lci1.com/blog/help-my-...isnt-working):

"The voltage source for the breakaway switch is supplied by the trailer battery system, not the truck battery....

Also, verify there is no fuse located in that circuit. There could be an auto-reset circuit breaker, but never a fuse."

EDIT: In my case, I installed the BlueSea and it cuts off everything, including the breakaway switch. In the event I forget to turn the disconnect switch to the on position prior to towing, that could become a safety issue. So I believe I'll be doing some re-wiring.
    Yes, it looks like the fuse to the 12v feed from the tow vehicle must only go on that lead, so it will not affect the break away switch. So assuming it goes to the +12vdc terminal block,how do you determine which wire?

Edit: Thinking about it, I guess to find the wire you would disconnect trailer battery and while hooked to truck, and find the wire on the terminal strip that is still hot.

Something I've never thought of, when operating the landing gear, is that also drawing current from the tow vehicle, or is it isolated to the trailer battery?
    Last edited by dryfly; 04-02-2023 at 04:43 PM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast