User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tank level indicators

Why do manufacturers even bother with tank level indicators? IMO they aren't worth two cents. We're full-timers, so we've been in our Reflection since we bought it at the end of January. The tank level indicators for the two grey tanks say they are full - right after I dumped them. Same with the black, although it says it is only 2/3 full.

Since I can't see the fresh water tank as it is filling we have to believe the indicator. I fill until the indicator says it is full, then give it two minutes more. Three minutes and I get overflow.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Why do manufacturers even bother with tank level indicators? IMO they aren't worth two cents. We're full-timers, so we've been in our Reflection since we bought it at the end of January. The tank level indicators for the two grey tanks say they are full - right after I dumped them. Same with the black, although it says it is only 2/3 full.

Since I can't see the fresh water tank as it is filling we have to believe the indicator. I fill until the indicator says it is full, then give it two minutes more. Three minutes and I get overflow.
    Yeah, the indicators on the grey and black can be easy to get crudded up. Vigorous cleaning helps with the black tank. As far as the fresh is concerned, we use a meter to measure how much we're putting in (this is the one we use but there are others https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EOC5M).
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Yeah, the indicators on the grey and black can be easy to get crudded up. Vigorous cleaning helps with the black tank. As far as the fresh is concerned, we use a meter to measure how much we're putting in (this is the one we use but there are others https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EOC5M).
    Bought the same water meter, although ours was "Rain Bird" branded. Seems to be fairly accurate and makes me WAY more comfortable filling my black tank to flush it when we're breaking camp. Stupid indicator still reads 3/4 full..
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by txarsoncop View Post
    Bought the same water meter, although ours was "Rain Bird" branded. Seems to be fairly accurate and makes me WAY more comfortable filling my black tank to flush it when we're breaking camp. Stupid indicator still reads 3/4 full..
    Yep, we have two meters. One for the freshwater fill and one to see how much we've pumped into the black tank at cleaning time. Our black tank sensor got crudded over, but regular cleaning has got it back to a fairly reliable place (typically we use the rinser 4 or 5 times before the flow is relatively clear). For one thing, when we clean it we always put about 5 gallons back in to slosh around while traveling. Dawn dish soap can help with that, put a small amount down the toilet before putting in that final five gallons, it helps break down whatever is covering the sensor.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Yep, we have two meters. One for the freshwater fill and one to see how much we've pumped into the black tank at cleaning time. Our black tank sensor got crudded over, but regular cleaning has got it back to a fairly reliable place (typically we use the rinser 4 or 5 times before the flow is relatively clear). For one thing, when we clean it we always put about 5 gallons back in to slosh around while traveling. Dawn dish soap can help with that, put a small amount down the toilet before putting in that final five gallons, it helps break down whatever is covering the sensor.
    That's been pretty much what we do. Fill & dump until clear and usually one extra for good measure, then we'd put 5 gallons in with some Dawn. This last trip I added 10 gallons and we swapped to the Calgon water softener, borax & HE laundry detergent. I need to go see what the indicator says, it was at 3/4 when we left the park.
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I saw a video from a tank clean-out service. Sorry, can't currently find it - but to save the hour long watching about doing a really deep cleaning...

Get one of these: https://www.valterra.com/product/flu...h-valve-boxed/

Flush using the black flush. It can help a lot to put the above valve on and close it, to build up water in the tank (or just close your black valve) - USE YOUR METER noted earlier so you don't over fill. I put about 15-20 gal back into my 40 gal tank. Then open the valve to get a big whoosh. They recommended 70-80% of capacity, but that is too much for me....
    Repeat several times. I may do it 4-5, depending on what comes out. Sometimes I turn off the flush first, to make sure the last bits come out. You'll be surprised at how much comes out (big, big chunks, not just dirty) even after 3 or more times.
    Then I hook the hose to the port on the valve, to fill the tank backwards via the main drain. Again, 15-20 gal, repeated 2-4 times, until no more bits-n-pieces.
    Turn off the water, close your black valve and open one of the gray. After the initial drain, use the back filling to fill the gray partially also, and then flush again. May only need 1-3 times. More if your sensors are reading poorly.

For really bad black, you may want to fill it to 50-80%, and let sit overnight to soak, then flush again.

The take away from the video - lots, and lots of water. And the more you can pre-fill after cleaning, the better. Your own call as to how much, depending on weight, travel, frequency of cleaning, etc. But starting with more..10-15 gal, is far, far better than less.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Why do manufacturers even bother with tank level indicators? IMO they aren't worth two cents.
    Ya, agree.....a waste of money there. When you buy your first Rv you think, "Hey cool, I can monitor the tank levels". A week or two later you are saying..."ok...those are useless"...lol

I'm thinking I'll drop some money on the SeeLevel gauges...they have proven themselves imo.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I'm thinking I'll drop some money on the SeeLevel gauges...they have proven themselves imo." A lot of Foretravelers have put them in and are pleased. We didn't, but we were well used to how much water we used so we knew when to fill and dump. This trailer has much smaller tanks, so we're still getting used to that. The so-called gauges on the Foretravel were totally useless, and I ditched that system within the first year.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t understand why people fret over tank levels?

It isn’t hard to know when tanks are getting full and it is close to time to dump
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t understand why people fret over tank levels?
    I agree! I don’t even bother looking at mine anymore. After a few trips, it’s pretty easy to know when to dump. Plus, why go to all the bother cleaning the sensors only to have them fouled up the next day?
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast