Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12 volt cooler question

I am looking into the different types of 12 volt coolers. You have Compressor and Thermoelectric. From what I gather the Compressor is the better of the two but let me draw up the scenario because if I am not specific the discussion will go off into space.

It is a 90 degree day, the Wife and I load up the truck and hit the road. The cooler is plugged in and sitting behind the front seat. Let's say for the sake of argument it is at 35 degrees. We head to lunch, Wife can't finish so we throw the leftover sandwich in the cooler. We head down the road and stop at a Farmer's Market and by pie and some cheese. In the cooler they go.

So, from what I understand, when we park if the temp inside the truck is 100 degrees, the compressor cooler will try to stay at 35 degrees. Chances are it will run a lot but will keep it cool. The thermoelectric will struggle and will only get it down to about 65 -70 degrees.

I believe my assumptions are correct.

Again, this is not a device we would use 24/7. More of a once/twice a week thing.

Or option 3 would be to get an icemaker for the RV and use a normal cooler. That is if the icemaker can make ice that fast.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If cost isn't an issue, compressor cooler any day.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @docque
    I follow a YouTube channel couple that uses this, Is this like what you're thinking about?

https://www.amazon.com/SetPower-Refr...89&sr=8-7&th=1

They seem to really like it and we are seriously thinking about getting one for the long touring scenic drives we do, as a backup and we could put some cold groceries in it if we buy something along the road.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-16-2023 at 10:41 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    @docque
    I follow a YouTube channel couple that uses this, Is this like what your thinking about?

https://www.amazon.com/SetPower-Refr...89&sr=8-7&th=1

They seem to really like it and we are seriously thinking about getting one for the long touring scenic drives we do, as a backup and we could put some cold groceries in it if we buy something along the road.
    That is one that I was looking at. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07THMM1CK...lig_dp_it&th=1 was another
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a thermoelectric that we have been using for years. I can tell you that it won’t ever get as cold as the compressor type.

Before we leave on a trip, I plug it in at least 24 hours in advance and let it cool in the garage. Before we pack it with cold water and snacks, I put a large Tupperware type container in it and fill it with ice. We never add anything warm - everything comes straight from the refrigerator.

If I had it to do over again, I would go with the compressor type.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thought...
    We also have a portable ice maker. It doesn’t make ice, it makes slush (very soft cube). When we get to our destination, we fill the Tupperware container with slush from the ice maker and leave it in the freezer - it takes a couple of days to fill unless you are diligent about dumping the ice maker every time it makes a batch.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    That is one that I was looking at. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07THMM1CK...lig_dp_it&th=1 was another
    We have an Iceco, we use it to make runs to Costco in Reno (100mi.) during the summer heat. keeps our cold stuff cold. We also keep it in the basement of our trailer on trips...the dog doesn't like to share the back seat. Plug it into our Bluetti & has kept things frosty after a six hour drive.
    We keep it plugged in at home 24/7 for fridge overflow for the past year now with no problems.
    Last edited by Gronk1; 04-16-2023 at 12:12 PM.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve used both. A thermoelectric cooler will usually keep things cool, but a compressor fridge is guaranteed to keep things cold (as long as your battery doesn’t run out). As Rob said, if price isn’t a factor, definitely get the compressor fridge. For the examples you gave, I would be fine with a thermoelectric cooler for saving a lunch sandwich for later in the day or the pie and cheese while I was sightseeing for an hour or so. But realize the food is going to be in the “danger zone”.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t consider a thermoelectric cooler good enough if you want to save that sandwich to put back in the fridge for tomorrow, or if you want to leave the pie and cheese for several hours. In that scenario, a compressor fridge would be fine (if your vehicle can supply enough power) because it really is just a small fridge.