User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in Vermont just 6 miles from the border and cross a good bit, both with and without our rig. Here's some of our learning:

Citrus, most fruits, some vegetables, eggs, and chicken products aren't allowed. Prepackaged foods and restaurant leftovers, however, are fine.
    Firearms are a no-no. They'll ask. Fireworks, mace, and any explosive devices are also banned.
    They'll ask about alcohol. Up to 2 bottles per person are allowed. After that, you have to pay tax. They'll ask you if you're bringing anything you plan to leave (or sell) in Canada.

They'll ask, of course, where you're from, where you're going, and how long you plan to be in Canada.
    You can't have a felony on your record and get in, and yes, a DUI is a felony in Canada.

Will they search your rig? Depends on the guard, the day, and the crossing. Totally up to them.
    Ironically, if you have pot they usually won't say a thing. Conversely, though, if you try and bring it back into the U.S., even into a state like Vermont where it's legal, you're in trouble. The Border Patrol is a federal agency, and possession is not legal as far as the USG is concerned.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been planning a trip to Nova Scotia with our travel trailer for some time now and only recently discovered the inability to cross into Canada with an arrest record. I have some misdemeanor offences from 1980 which were satisfied at that time. Can anyone tell me how hard line the border agents will be on offenses this old. I have read all about applying for waivers which can take months to obtain along with costing much $$$. It appears that it is next to impossible to obtain those arrest records due to the age of the offences. I also read that it is possible to plead my case to the border agents at the time of our attempt to cross. True? When I was young and stupid and didn't have a care in the world, I never paid heed to the statement; "Your arrest record will follow you for the rest of your life". Would love to visit their beautiful country, but if we can't, there is lot's of beautiful sites to see in this great land of ours. Responses are appreciated.
    Steve & Sally Borders
    2019 2600RB Grand Design Imagine
    Pulled by 2023 2500 Chevrolet Z71 Turbo Diesel
    <”)))><

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sborders View Post
    We have been planning a trip to Nova Scotia with our travel trailer for some time now and only recently discovered the inability to cross into Canada with an arrest record. I have some misdemeanor offences from 1980 which were satisfied at that time. Can anyone tell me how hard line the border agents will be on offenses this old. I have read all about applying for waivers which can take months to obtain along with costing much $$$. It appears that it is next to impossible to obtain those arrest records due to the age of the offences. I also read that it is possible to plead my case to the border agents at the time of our attempt to cross. True? When I was young and stupid and didn't have a care in the world, I never paid heed to the statement; "Your arrest record will follow you for the rest of your life". Would love to visit their beautiful country, but if we can't, there is lot's of beautiful sites to see in this great land of ours. Responses are appreciated.
    Would you be willing to travel that far on a chance?

You need to make an application to the embassy
    I would take the time to do this
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, we are visiting Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine etc... anyway. Thought if possible with only negative of being turned away, we might try.
    Steve & Sally Borders
    2019 2600RB Grand Design Imagine
    Pulled by 2023 2500 Chevrolet Z71 Turbo Diesel
    <”)))><

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, we are visiting Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine etc... anyway. Thought if possible with only negative of being turned away, we might try.
    But you would have to cancel a bunch of reservations and likely lose many deposits
    That is something I wouldn’t want to do at the hope of a lenient border agent
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Would you be willing to travel that far on a chance?

You need to make an application to the embassy
    I would take the time to do this
    @Sborders

I agree with this. When I crossed into Canada last year they knew I had a Colorado CCW permit, so I know thier system is linked to ours. Best be prepared. The also have a web site with contact information. Last, depending on the state and jurisdiction you may be able to get your record expunged. Might be worth a call.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the offense, if it's criminal I'd say no way
    but the only way to know for sure is to try it. I also have a checkered past (from 1972) and was refused entry to the US (about 1985) so I got the required waivers etc and now have no problem but I have several friends who also have offenses from the '70s and have had no problems crossing, just depends on the agent on duty at the time
    Last edited by Bungy; 04-26-2023 at 09:13 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine has the same issue but going to the US. Here in Canada he got his pardon but apparently its not recognized this the US.
    Have you tried contacting CBSA and asking? https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sellis1053 View Post
    ArriveCAN has been optional since Oct 2022. Bear spray is allowed. US cellphones work fine in Canada, where there's service, just like in the US.
    I can second all of this with one bit of additional info regarding bear spray based upon our experience. You will need a credible claim regarding potential activity in bear territory. We travel to BC and Alberta regularly for hiking and mountain climbing. Best bet is to buy the bear spray in Canada the first time. It lasts for several years and when you take it back in next time, it will have the French printing on it if they bother to check. May not be necessary but I try to minimize potential issues.

Depending on your cell carrier and plan, cell service could be painless. On our last trip of two weeks, we didn’t even have any extra charges.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    A friend of mine has the same issue but going to the US. Here in Canada he got his pardon but apparently its not recognized this the US.
    Have you tried contacting CBSA and asking? https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html
    I was told the same thing about my pardon, had to get a “non-resident alien Canadian border crossing card”. It’s good for life but you can’t get them anymore, I call it my get out of jail free card...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast