Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic issue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydraulic issue

I was disconnecting my 2015 M350 yesterday and when I raised the front jacks to take the weight off of the hitch. They wouldn't extend all the way, and the two main slides opened. This has never happened before. I had to start the generator and retract the slides when the jacks finally extended enough to disconnect. What would cause this to happen?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my understanding the hydraulic system can get a bit wonky when the voltage is lower than normal. What was the voltage/charge on the batteries when you tried the hydraulic pump?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @Hoopy Frood said, how many batteries do you have, what type, and how old are they?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    From my understanding the hydraulic system can get a bit wonky when the voltage is lower than normal. What was the voltage/charge on the batteries when you tried the hydraulic pump?
    I don't know what the battery voltage was at the time, but it also did it with the generator running.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by V-Rod Rider View Post
    I don't know what the battery voltage was at the time, but it also did it with the generator running.
    If the problem was low voltage, running the generator may not have been sufficient to supply the heavy draw the hydraulic system will require. Just a thought.
    Howard and Peggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the hydraulic slide outs started moving when you were operating the 6 point Lippert hydraulic leveling system there is one thing that will cause what you experienced..
    Hydac valve for the hydraulic did not close all the way.. thus allowing fluid to flow to the slide out cylinders..
    ** the Hydac valve for the hydraulic slides ( there is only one for all slides ) is mechanically closed via spring pressure internally inside the Hydac cartridge..
    ** The valve normal state is closed (NC) .. it is electrically opened via an energized coil that slides over the Hydac cartridge
    ** You can easily verify if that Hydac cartridges' coil for the hydraulic slides is receiving a 12vdc signal to open ( when it should not be ) while operating the leveling system.
    ** simply have a helper operate the leveling system and use your multimeter set to VDC and measure that hydac coil wire to ground while the leveling system is operating..
    ** There SHOULD BE ZERO VOLTS MEASURED at that coil wire when only the leveling system is operated..

By doing the above test YOU WILL KNOW WHERE the issue is isn't and you wont be "Guessing"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "By doing the above test YOU WILL KNOW WHERE the issue is isn't and you wont be "Guessing""
    Well not really, you may know that the voltage is, or isn't, getting to the solenoid, but that still won't tell you if the solenoid is working as it should, or whether the problem is somewhere else. It would help narrow down the problem.
    Howard and Peggy

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    If the hydraulic slide outs started moving when you were operating the 6 point Lippert hydraulic leveling system there is one thing that will cause what you experienced..
    Hydac valve for the hydraulic did not close all the way.. thus allowing fluid to flow to the slide out cylinders..
    ** the Hydac valve for the hydraulic slides ( there is only one for all slides ) is mechanically closed via spring pressure internally inside the Hydac cartridge..
    ** The valve normal state is closed (NC) .. it is electrically opened via an energized coil that slides over the Hydac cartridge
    ** You can easily verify if that Hydac cartridges' coil for the hydraulic slides is receiving a 12vdc signal to open ( when it should not be ) while operating the leveling system.
    ** simply have a helper operate the leveling system and use your multimeter set to VDC and measure that hydac coil wire to ground while the leveling system is operating..
    ** There SHOULD BE ZERO VOLTS MEASURED at that coil wire when only the leveling system is operated..

By doing the above test YOU WILL KNOW WHERE the issue is isn't and you wont be "Guessing"
    Thank you, I'll check it out.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the battery hooked up to a trickle charger now. I'll give it a try when it's full charged.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you happen to check the battery charge before hooking it up?
    Howard and Peggy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast