Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exploring axle and brake upgrades to our 315RLTS..input welcomed

I'm currently communicating with Performance Trailer Braking about upgrading the current 5.2K axles to 6K or 7K...along with disc brakes. Performance advises to move up one axle size to the 6K. They say going to 7K could cause a stiffer ride. 7K also requires larger disc brakes and wheel upgrade to 8 bolt pattern from 6 bolt. Most recent CAT scale visit showed trailer axles at 9350 lbs when weight distribution hitch engaged. The leaf springs on the street side are beginning to flatten out after 2 seasons. I also visited with our local suspension shop that does suspension work on vehicles and trailers. They are very well respected and have been in business over 30 years. They advise going to 7k, since the cost is very minimal and that my trailer is heavy enough to flex the axles so the tires will wear even. Looking for advise, input, and/or experiences with axle upgrades. Thanks in advance.
    Larry & Cheryl

2021 Reflection 315 RLTS
    2017 F-350 Platinum

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to 7k axles and disc brakes on our 315RLTS. Heavier axles don't make a rough ride, too heavy of springs do. Also you can still use 6 lug rotors on 7k axles. The difference between 6k and 7k is the bearings. The spindle size is the same. Buy the disk brake kit from PTB and buy the axles and 6k springs from a Dexter dealer.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    I went to 7k axles and disc brakes on our 315RLTS. Heavier axles don't make a rough ride, too heavy of springs do. Also you can still use 6 lug rotors on 7k axles. The difference between 6k and 7k is the bearings. The spindle size is the same. Buy the disk brake kit from PTB and buy the axles and 6k springs from a Dexter dealer.
    X2 on that, or you could look into the Moryde IFS.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mntbiker View Post
    I'm currently communicating with Performance Trailer Braking about upgrading the current 5.2K axles to 6K or 7K...along with disc brakes. Performance advises to move up one axle size to the 6K. They say going to 7K could cause a stiffer ride. 7K also requires larger disc brakes and wheel upgrade to 8 bolt pattern from 6 bolt. Most recent CAT scale visit showed trailer axles at 9350 lbs when weight distribution hitch engaged. The leaf springs on the street side are beginning to flatten out after 2 seasons. I also visited with our local suspension shop that does suspension work on vehicles and trailers. They are very well respected and have been in business over 30 years. They advise going to 7k, since the cost is very minimal and that my trailer is heavy enough to flex the axles so the tires will wear even. Looking for advise, input, and/or experiences with axle upgrades. Thanks in advance.
    The question you need to be asking, even with an upgrade is what tube thickness are they giving you. Is it LW, STD, or heavy wall - makes a huge difference. Second question is what bearing set is in the hub. Are they easy to get? Is there a better option? To get a second opinion I would call https://ironbeartrailer.com/ (close to Denver CO) They really helped me with sorting out what I needed exactly. Great service and they do answer thier phones and answer emails. They knew more than Dexter regional order folks did and can custom order whatever you need and have it shipped to you. Very competitive pricing. They were recommended to me by a Dexter executive.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me I'd go with the 6K axles. 7K is overkill for your trailer. 6K axles have more than enough capacity to carry your 315. If you subscribe to the school of thought that when you replace you always go for a little overkill...go for the 7K. But it's not like the trailer shop said. It's not a minimal cost difference. Axles will cost a bit more. Brakes will cost more..... Wheels will cost more..... Tires will cost more.....
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What I ended up doing replacing my 4400lb axles was to go withe a 7K 3.5" HW tube and a 6K hub to fit my 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. Yes the tub upgrade cost. I had bent the tube on both axles at the U-Bolts. I also upgraded the springs to 6K. What I figured out is the initial compression (typical down the road) on the springs is the same for the first few leaves, so ride should not change. The upgrade also got me bigger brakes

Still working on the install

I guess what I am trying to say there are a lot of options. Just got to Dexter web page and ope up thier axle catalog and look at what they offer. Lots of possibility's. For what it is worth Iron Bear stocks a lot of stock axles in various capacities and may have what you need on hand
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought about eventually doing something like this, too. I'm not an engineer, nor have I ever played one anywhere, but my seat-of-the-pants idea is that the axles and springs should have a capacity somewhat greater than the gross weight of the trailer. Yes, I know that part of the weight is on the hitch, but when you suddenly meet a rough bridge crossing, or a pothole, there can be a sudden increase of weight on the spring and axle.

I've also read that GVWR is figured on all sorts of things, not just the springs and axles. Going to heavier axles and springs won't necessarily increase your GVWR. That would require some professional engineering and paperwork, which could get expensive. In other words, if my trailer has a GVWR of 10,000 pounds and I switch to two 6,000-pound axles and heavier springs, I haven't changed my GVWR to 12,000 pounds. The frame may not handle the greater weight, or the tires, or the brakes, or the hitch, etc.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar