User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Absent a problem in the trailer, supply wiring issues won’t cause current to flow in the grounding conductor.
    You would be surprised what incorrect wiring or faulted wiring can do. Electricity is a strange animal. Start with the supply. Verify. Move on down the line

It's what I do anyway. Too many times in the past I skipped the verifying supply step only to eventually get back there to find the original issue
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 05-14-2023 at 05:26 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long is your extension cord? What size wire does the extension cord have? What amperage breaker is protecting the outlet you are plugged into? Someone needs to test the outlet with a meter to ensure proper wiring?
    Michael Dilday - Suffolk, Va.
    2024 Solitude 376RD - Body paint, 3rd A/C, slide toppers, solar upgrade, 8k axle upgrade
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Crew Dually, B&W Companion hitch
    35+ years camping

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    You would be surprised what incorrect wiring or faulted wiring can do. Electricity is a strange animal. Start with the supply. Verify. Move on down the line

It's what I do anyway. Too many times in the past I skipped the verifying supply step only to eventually get back there to find the original issue
    Any wiring problem at the pedestal that could cause current in the ground would be instantly obvious. The ECG in the trailer has no load except in a fault condition within the trailer, so current can’t flow.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Invest in a power Watchdog surge protector. He didn’t mention any surge or electrical protection at all. Progressive makes nice stuff too. This won’t happen with either of those because they will shut down. I also see you have a ton of lithium batteries which means inverter was wired and probably a charger upgrade. Check everything because something is going to ground. Maybe could be loose wires but there is leakage somewhere. Perhaps the dog bone is bad or something else is crossed or loose or touching.
    Last edited by ardvark16; 05-16-2023 at 07:18 AM.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your unit is good when plugged into a 50 amp plug. I would check the outlet out of you panel. The neutral could be on the ground terminal and the ground on the neutral terminal

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for the help on what to check; I have an electrician friend who will come by in the near future (exact date uncertain as I write this). And I presume he'll be able to help diagnose what's happening. I'll update here when we find out what's wrong.
    Jim and Merna

2021 Solitude 345GK-R w/ 17.5 wheels/Cooper H-rated tires (replacing a 2014 Solitude 369RL).
    8k axles upgraded with Mor-Ryde IS/disc brakes and Solar (1280 watts + 800Ah Lithium batteries).
    2015 F-350 6.7 diesel SRW, Curt 20k hitch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimibooks View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the help on what to check; I have an electrician friend who will come by in the near future (exact date uncertain as I write this). And I presume he'll be able to help diagnose what's happening. I'll update here when we find out what's wrong.
    Good luck. I hope it works out and is an easy fix.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimibooks View Post

I'm considering getting the SmartPlug system from etrailer:

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Power-In...ug/SM76FR.html

Anyone familiar with how good this is (it should be very very good for the price!!).

!

We converted to Smartplug several years ago. Never have had an issue. Old screw type was always loose and had water in it once. A suggestion is to make sure you make a second cable with a spare plug. What we did was take a 3 ft 30ft leash and swap out the female (trailer end) with a second Smartplug end. That way if you do have a problem with your cable, you can still hook up with an extension cable. Did that after having the factory male going bad due to bad pedestal ( built in EMS protected the trailer). Had to hunt down a male end to replace the burnt plug. The new leash gives us a backup without having to haul a third cable.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really does seem like the smartplug is a very expensive solution searching for a problem. You now spend 250.00 and can’t get any cords anywhere if something breaks. I think the stock 50 amp furrion plug is fine. I did buy a 90° adapter so it doesn’t put the stress on it. I am not a fan of switching to a proprietary plug for that kind of money.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JKWILSON: you likely have something going on with the ground and neutral in your trailer since you don’t mention tripping breakers. If ground and neutral are bonded inside the trailer, the ground wire could end up carrying 25A, and that contact isn’t designed for that kind of continuous current.

i amend my post and fully agree with JKWilson
    Last edited by ForBruce; 06-02-2023 at 01:10 PM.
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast