User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LP regulator recall fraud

Grrr. Like many other grand design owners, my LP regulator was part of the recall a couple years ago. I foolishly thought it best to make an appointment with Bretz RV in nampa ID, where I bought the trailer, for them to perform the recall. This was in August 2021, and just getting an appointment with them proved to be a challenge, since they have an entirely automated system with no human contact, and they don't answer their phone. That should have been a warning. So I drop the trailer off, and when I come back at the appointed time to pick it up, it is of course not done...... fine.... I waited for an hour until they finally brought my rig out.... This is where I made the mistake in not verifying the work, because I was impatient, and it was hot and I was cranky. So i get home, and lo and behold I have the same old regulator with same old dust on it even. It didn't look like they had even touched it. I tried to call them, but of course they don't answer their phone, so I emailed Grand Design with pictures and my vin# just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. they said

The original regulator is a Winntec so going by the photos you sent it has not been replaced. We can send this regulator to you at no charge however they are on backorder with no current eta. If you would like to have it sent let us know your shipping address. Or you can source the replacement locally however it cannot be a Winntec brand or Enerco brand regulator, any other brand is approved.
    Great, ok, at this point I have no desire to deal with Bretz RV again, so I figure I'll get it fixed somewhere reputable and they'll take care of it. Unfortunately I didn't get around to fixing it until just a few weeks ago, and when I submitted the claim, Grand Design told me that Bretz had already submitted a claim and been paid (even tho I wrote to grand design with my vin# and dealer name to let them know the work had not actually been performed). Not only that, but Bretz send them before and after pictures of someone else's trailer to support their claim. The pic also shows the propane tanks which have a distinctive brand name wrapper on them. Lesson learned, some dealers are incompetent and/or dishonest, and I should have verified the work was done before I ever left the lot. I guess I'd still rather have paid for it myself than catch on fire tho.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velosapiens View Post
    Grrr. Like many other grand design owners, my LP regulator was part of the recall a couple years ago. I foolishly thought it best to make an appointment with Bretz RV in nampa ID, where I bought the trailer, for them to perform the recall. This was in August 2021, and just getting an appointment with them proved to be a challenge, since they have an entirely automated system with no human contact, and they don't answer their phone. That should have been a warning. So I drop the trailer off, and when I come back at the appointed time to pick it up, it is of course not done...... fine.... I waited for an hour until they finally brought my rig out.... This is where I made the mistake in not verifying the work, because I was impatient, and it was hot and I was cranky. So i get home, and lo and behold I have the same old regulator with same old dust on it even. It didn't look like they had even touched it. I tried to call them, but of course they don't answer their phone, so I emailed Grand Design with pictures and my vin# just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. they said

Great, ok, at this point I have no desire to deal with Bretz RV again, so I figure I'll get it fixed somewhere reputable and they'll take care of it. Unfortunately I didn't get around to fixing it until just a few weeks ago, and when I submitted the claim, Grand Design told me that Bretz had already submitted a claim and been paid (even tho I wrote to grand design with my vin# and dealer name to let them know the work had not actually been performed). Not only that, but Bretz send them before and after pictures of someone else's trailer to support their claim. The pic also shows the propane tanks which have a distinctive brand name wrapper on them. Lesson learned, some dealers are incompetent and/or dishonest, and I should have verified the work was done before I ever left the lot. I guess I'd still rather have paid for it myself than catch on fire tho.
    Sorry to hear you were treated poorly. That recall is interesting, I received a recall notice from GD. When I took it to my dealer they said my regulator isn't covered by the recall. I'm confused now, and will probably replace the regulator on my own dime, but at least my dealer didn't lie and cheat.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, sorry to hear of your troubles with the dealer. I have zero trust in the dealerships. I am sure there are good honest ones, but they are few and far between. Thankfully I have been able to address all of my issues directly and not had to work with a dealer.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar story here. Within a week of bringing our brand-new Reflection back to The Ranch we found out that the regulator had failed. Called the dealer, and they said we would have to bring it back to them - 200 miles each way and a night in the campground - all at our expense. Called GD and they said to get another and send them the bill for reimbursement. Done.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Called GD and they said to get another and send them the bill for reimbursement. Done.
    edit: It looks like my issue was resolved at GT, it just took a couple extra days. They are going to cover the lp regulator replacement .
    Last edited by velosapiens; 05-17-2023 at 08:02 AM.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unfortunately Grand Design is refusing to reimburse me, because apparently they reimbursed the dealer who faked the repair even tho I immediately emailed them about it, and they told me to just get it fixed and they would take care of it. Not too pleased with GD right now, but I'm trying to push this up further there. Anyone reading the email chain would agree they told me to get it done and they would reimburse.
    It really isn't a Grand Design issue, you shouldn't be angry with them. They are going by the documentation sent to them.

You should be standing in front of the Service office that faked the repair and making demands....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    It really isn't a Grand Design issue, you shouldn't be angry with them. They are going by the documentation sent to them.

You should be standing in front of the Service office that faked the repair and making demands....
    You are not wrong that Bretz is more at fault, but GD had my vin# and pics of the old regulator and my explanation of what happened long before bretz submitted the fraudulent claim. I told them about the faked service, and they told me to get it fixed myself and they would pay, and then they paid Bretz for it despite having the info that it was fraudulent..... so I have to put some blame on GD as well... but hopefully the issue will be escalated and GD and taken care of. I'm still working on that. They were at least polite and responded promptly, whereas Bretz service department has NEVER answered their phone. It's like they are trying to drive people away..... which I guess is doing people a favor really, lol.

edit: GD has taken care of the issue on my end.
    Last edited by velosapiens; 05-17-2023 at 08:03 AM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unfortunately Grand Design is refusing to reimburse me, because apparently they reimbursed the dealer who faked the repair even tho I immediately emailed them about it, and they told me to just get it fixed and they would take care of it. Not too pleased with GD right now, but I'm trying to push this up further there. Anyone reading the email chain would agree they told me to get it done and they would reimburse.
    That is ...just unbelievable. There are dealers out there doing a good job and dealers like this one...just...wow...unbelievable. I really don't know what to say about them.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really unfortunate. There are too many bad dealers out there ruining our experience and trust and ruining the hard work of the honest dealers. We lost our confidence also in ours. But @huntr70 us right, you should be standing at your dealers front door asking for an explanation and using the word FRAUD.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't falsely repairing a national recall a felony?
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast