User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was curious to see if stealing RV’s and trailers is common. Hard to find statistics. Regardless, whatever you can do to protect your trailer before or after makes a lot of sense.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure there are some areas that are more likely to see trailer thefts, but not sure where they are. Many of the thefts I've read about are ones that occurred when the trailer was stored at home rather than at a storage facility. I already pay insurance for theft reimbursement, sure have no desire to pay another "premium" just in case. That's why we have the insurance in the first place. A few dollars here, a few dollars there, and it all adds up. I guess it just boils down to what gives you the warm fuzzies.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there! I'm so excited to share with you my thoughts on GPS devices and coach protection. I have a lot of experience in this field, as I've been working with GPS for over 20 years. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me anytime.

One of the best features of GPS devices is that they can run on solar power. This is awesome because you don't have to worry about draining your coach's battery or plugging it into a 12V outlet. Trust me, even a small GPS device can drain your battery over time if you leave it on.

Solar powered GPS devices are also great because they can detect vibration and movement. This is very useful for security and monitoring purposes. You can set up different rules and alerts based on these triggers.

For example, here's how I use my solar GPS device for two different scenarios:

Scenario 1: I store my coach in a remote location where there's no security or surveillance. I want to make sure no one steals or damages it.
    Rule: If my coach moves more than 30 feet or vibrates more than 8, do something.
    Action: Send me a text or email with a map of the location and a link to see more details.

Scenario 2: I camp in a dispersed area where I don't know the neighbors or other people around. I want to keep an eye on my coach while I'm away.
    Rule: If any vibration or movement occurs, do something. More sensitive than the above rule. Mostly erroring on the side of caution when boondocking.
    Action: Send me a text or email with a map of the location and a link to see more details.

I also have a camera at the front door that detects human bodies and sends me data as well, but that's another story.

Here are some of the reasons why I love using a solar GPS device:

- It's hard to find a unit on the roof, so it's less likely to be tampered with or stolen.
    - It's powered by the sun, so I don't have to worry about charging it or replacing batteries.
    - It notifies me if it's low on battery charge, so I can take steps to fix it.
    - It lets me share my location with my loved ones when I'm on the move.
    - It reminds me of the mileage for servicing things like axles, hubs, brakes, tires, etc.
    - It makes my life easier and more enjoyable as a full-time worker and traveler who moves once or twice a month.

Please know there are many solutions out there for both hardware and software. Just be careful and do your homework. Again feel free to reach out if you have any questions around iOT devices, BLE devices, GPS devices,

I like solutions that:
    offer web based and mobile apps
    hardware options
    reporting options like - time or movement or movement and time. I like movement with 2 GPS check-ins a day.
    meaning - IF not moving just let me know you are still there. if you are moving send me locations based of some rule - If travelling greater than 5MPH report every 50 feet. If degree of turn is greater than 20 degrees report. You want to build a bread crumb trail when travelling or being able to tell the police where it is close to real time as possible. less damage.

Most / some insurance companies will offer savings. so the coast of a solution should be a wash.

I hope you found this helpful and informative. Thanks for reading!

PS: I also use AI a lot to write things for me.... feel free to ask about AI as well.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do these solar GPS devices actually contact you? Is there a service charge via a third party? Are there any Alert-type GPS units that don't charge a monthly, repeating fee?
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    How do these solar GPS devices actually contact you? Is there a service charge via a third party? Are there any Alert-type GPS units that don't charge a monthly, repeating fee?
    Hi Hoopy Frood,

I'm not happy with having to buy a data plan for my solar device. It seems like a rip-off to pay for something that should be free. I usually need at least 1MB of data per month, but sometimes I go over that limit if there are firmware updates or other things that use up data. I don't want to pay extra fees for going over my data allowance.

I have two options for getting a data plan. One is to get it from the company that makes the hardware and software for my device. The other is to buy it online from a different provider, which might be cheaper. I'm not sure which one is better, but I guess it depends on the coverage and the customer service.

My device sends data through telecom networks to an online platform that processes it and sends me alerts. The data includes GPS information and events, such as when my device moves or when it checks in with the platform. I can set up triggers and actions, such as getting an email or a text message when my device moves more than a certain distance. This way, I can keep track of my coach and make sure it's safe. The 3rd party service is responsible for relaying the text messages and email to me.

Some devices use satellite networks instead of telecom networks to send data. This might be better if you live in an area with poor telecom coverage, but it's also more expensive. I don't think I need satellite data, because I have a Canadian SIM. (more explanation on Canadian SIM working U.S. below)

One thing I learned is that if you're in the US and you have a Canadian data SIM , you can roam on any tower from any carrier. This gives you better coverage than if you have a US SIM card that only works with one carrier. In Canada, this is not an issue, because all carriers share their towers.

That's how data plans work for solar devices. It's kind of complicated, but I hope this helps you understand it better.

SUMMARY:
    I have not seen a reliable free service. This might have changed in the last few months as technology has been changing so quickly lately.
    I like Canadian SIMS in the US - to check this ask any Canadian in the US if they are roaming and what network shows on there phone - then ask them to check what networks they are on through out the day - it changes
    I like devices that are designed in the US - Calamp and Xirgo(please know this company was bought within the last year and cannot remember new name)
    I like software that is hosted in the North America
    I like companies that do not sell my data but are the protectors of it
    - meaning do not sell my data to some other organization unless you want to pay me
    I have another unit on my car - 250 / 2500 / 350 / 3500 trucks are awfully costly - yet good luck finding it if stolen
    - I am not a fan of the UCONNECT guardian system at all.

Breadcrumb Trail based on Speed and Degree of turn - great looking path. Plus arrival Geofence in purple. that is a digital fence and if the coach moves it tells me. Added image below of a bread crumb trail and geofence. I hope this is clearer than mud.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV_Path_solar_unit.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	46388

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the info. It was pretty much what I feared: you can't get sumpin' for nuttin'. I may check with my insurance and see if they'll cut my premium if I went with some kind of tracker. If not, I won't go that route. Doesn't seem to be a problem in the area, and if it happens...that's why I'm paying for insurance.
    Howard and Peggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    This is a common topic on the Airstream forum, since they seem to be favorite targets of thieves. A few years ago someone posted a video of a "thief" "stealing" a trailer in less than a minute. The "thief" simply backed his truck up to the trailer and used a chain to attach the (locked) hitch to the ball. He even attached the electrical cable so the lights would work.

Remember that the thief only has to get to a place where he can more easily get to what he wants.

On another note, I've been told that almost all recreational vehicles use the same key for the storage bay door locks. I suspect that all GD trailers may use the same key, as when we looked at our trailer it was locked and the salesman had a key with him. Since he didn't know we were coming it wasn't as if he was expecting us.
    Depending upon the type of lock used on storage bays there is the old 751 key that is the same on all RVs. While they are not the most robust lock the first thing I do is replace the locks with some other key number.

I cannot say if this is the case for all trailers but many come with master keyed main door locks. Each trailer uses a unique owner key but can still be opened by someone who posses a master key. You can purchase replacement door locks that are not master keyed if this is a concern.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A large screwdriver, or medium sized prybar is the master key of choice for someone who plans to steal a trailer. A $100 lock on a 50 cent frame is just a waste of money. My thought is that a trailer theft isn't a spur-of-the-moment thing, and the thieves come prepared to a certain extent.
    Howard and Peggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    A large screwdriver, or medium sized prybar is the master key of choice for someone who plans to steal a trailer. A $100 lock on a 50 cent frame is just a waste of money. My thought is that a trailer theft isn't a spur-of-the-moment thing, and the thieves come prepared to a certain extent.
    I don't disagree that trailers are not very secure but there are different types of theft. For stealing a trailer I think the thieves come with some tools but not much other planning. Security devices won't stop them if they really want a trailer but unlike cars I don't think most are targeted thefts. In this case my only purpose for having security is to make them look at it and decide it is faster and easier to steal the trailer next to mine. It might not be a nice sentiment but it is what it is. The other common type of theft is the casual break-in. I've have seen many reports of folks having items stolen without a forced entry due to the 751 lock. I've even witnessed it once while camping though we were able to get the ranger there in time to arrest the thieves. Changing these locks is inexpensive and again the idea is not impenetrable security but to make it inconvenient enough for the would be thief that they choose an easier target.

As to the door lock I thought I'd mention it as I don't think a lot of folks are aware of it as they are the 751 key. I went with a non-master keyed lock on our last trailer when the original one broke. Much like the 751 key it isn't hard to get a hold of a master key so having a lock that does not allow its use is back to trying to make accessing my trailer less convenient that others nearby.

I also think there is a benefit when dealing with insurance. I can show I took precautions should I ever have to place a theft claim which should make the claim process go smoother thought this is a secondary benefit compared to avoiding the theft to begin with.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're experiences are much different from mine, I've only heard about theft of stuff from a trailer very rarely, unless in storage and then it's a smash-and-grab, so keys are immaterial. I never lock our trailer in a RV park or campground and have never had a theft in nearly 20 years, or actually heard first hand about one. I figure the insurance people are going to be a pain no matter what, but never needed any reimbursement for theft of any kind, so don't know. I guess we stay in quite different places.
    Howard and Peggy

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast