User Tag List

Thread: Bearing failure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bearing failure

Ok, so on a trip look back drivers rear tandem is smoking. So I stop to check, assuming wheel bearing is destroyed. Smoking and very hot . Can I removed the rear tire and drive ? If so any idea of how far.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, in a breakdown situation…but you’ll need to chain or strap that axle end up to keep it off the road and transfer the weight to the other axle. I wouldn’t use it further than what it takes to get to a safe place to do the needed repairs.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying the rear tire on the trailer was smoking? If so, driving any distance with just one tire on that side is not a good idea. A mile may be doable, at low speeds, very low speeds. Personally, I would pull the brake hub off, an easy job, and examine the bearings. You may have a stuck/broken brake assembly, and not a bad wheel bearing. This you could likely repair/jury rig enough to keep using the tire until you can get it fixed, not an optimal solution, but possible.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Are you saying the rear tire on the trailer was smoking? If so, driving any distance with just one tire on that side is not a good idea. A mile may be doable, at low speeds, very low speeds. Personally, I would pull the brake hub off, an easy job, and examine the bearings. You may have a stuck/broken brake assembly, and not a bad wheel bearing. This you could likely repair/jury rig enough to keep using the tire until you can get it fixed, not an optimal solution, but possible.

It is the bearing, the bearing buddy exploded grease is everywhere . Tire/suspension is fine. My issue is there isn’t any place under this strap chain up the hub.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2015rlrl View Post
    It is the bearing, the bearing buddy exploded grease is everywhere . Tire/suspension is fine. My issue is there isn’t any place under this strap chain up the hub.
    Use the spring mounts on the frame. Go from one to the other to cradle the axle.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to those who replied-

Ok, so on a trip look back drivers rear tandem is smoking. So I stop to check, assuming wheel bearing is destroyed. Smoking and very hot . Can I removed the rear tire and drive ? If so any idea of how far.
    Limped 8 miles to shop, about 1.5 hours from home getting replaced and will pick back up. . Thanks to those who replied. It Was last day of our trip, back to work in the am. Appreciate the forum’s responses.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Limped 8 miles to shop, about 1.5 hours from home getting replaced and will pick back up. . Thanks to those who replied. It Was last day of our trip, back to work in the am. Appreciate the forum’s responses.
    Just curious, how did you keep the tire off the ground? @jkwilson's suggestion was a good one.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After letting it sit for an hour we drove it 8 miles to a mechanic and left it. I left the tire on . I didn’t have a strap or chain, I had a come a long but was afraid to pull on those hangers and create a bigger mess.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's most likely what I would have done. The only thing I might have done was, while waiting for it cool down, I might have jacked up the wheel to see how badly it spun. But sometimes you just have to do what you can to get through it.
    Howard and Peggy

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same thing happen to our Reflection 230RL due to poor maintenance by the owner (me). RR bearings failed due to shoddy maintenance and stranded us on the I40 10 miles west of Albuquerque. Removed the wheel (fell off when trailer was jacked up) and stuffed a jack between the other axle spring and frame. Limped it to the nearest exit which happened to be the exit for La Mesa RV. They are not a Grand Design dealer, but their service department went out of their way to help us. They procured a replacement axle from a local axle shop and replaced the damaged axle. This is a picture of the temporary jack installation. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0283.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	46515
    2023 Reflection 337RLS
    2021 GMC 3500 AT4HD LB
    B&W Companion OEM hitch