Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12v Victron Multiplus DC Connection

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this. Installing lithium batteries with a Victron Multiplus and assortment of other equipment. I am connecting the batteries to buss bars, then T class fuse and cut off switch feeding into a Lynx Distribution box, then to the Multiplus. I'm making the layout and primary cables now on a table in preparation for the actual installation in the RV. I've just realized that for DC side, the multiplus only has inputs - no outputs.

Am I correct in assuming I connect the DC circuit from the RV to the Lynx Distribution box and not directly to the Multiplus? All along in my head I just assumed the RV DC circuit would be fed from the Multiplus but it seems now that is not the case. Not a problem, I just want to verify I'm not misunderstanding it?

EDIT: Disregard, I found clear diagrams. Not sure why I had trouble verifying earlier but I have it now...
    Last edited by Riverbug; 05-23-2023 at 07:07 PM.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12v Victron Multiplus DC Connection

Hi Riberbug,

You are correct. Only one + and one -. It’s all you need. Those big dc cables will act as both into and from the batteries via the bus bar as needed.

If inverting it pulls from the batteries, if charging it pushes.

Yes, using the Lynx or other bus bar to the loads.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Hi Riberbug,

You are correct. Only one + and one -. It’s all you need. Those big dc cables will act as both into and from the batteries via the bus bar as needed.

If inverting it pulls from the batteries, if charging it pushes.

Yes, using the Lynx or other bus bar to the loads.

Bill
    Thanks for confirming.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I'm almost embarrassed to ask this. Installing lithium batteries with a Victron Multiplus and assortment of other equipment. I am connecting the batteries to buss bars, then T class fuse and cut off switch feeding into a Lynx Distribution box, then to the Multiplus. I'm making the layout and primary cables now on a table in preparation for the actual installation in the RV. I've just realized that for DC side, the multiplus only has inputs - no outputs.

Am I correct in assuming I connect the DC circuit from the RV to the Lynx Distribution box and not directly to the Multiplus? All along in my head I just assumed the RV DC circuit would be fed from the Multiplus but it seems now that is not the case. Not a problem, I just want to verify I'm not misunderstanding it?

EDIT: Disregard, I found clear diagrams. Not sure why I had trouble verifying earlier but I have it now...
    I would connect the Multiplus directly to the buss bars before your Lynx, or the non fuse side (power in) of the Lynx. However be sure your battery cable gauge is the correct size from that connection to the batterys. I used 4/0 from the Multiplus and 2/0 from each battery to my buss bar. I used the non fuse version of the lynx - its called the Lynx Power In

I have attached a photo of my wiring. The cover is off of the power in assembly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0611s.jpg  
    Last edited by powerscol; 05-24-2023 at 07:21 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I would connect the Multiplus directly to the buss bars before your Lynx, or the non fuse side (power in) of the Lynx. However be sure your battery cable gauge is the correct size from that connection to the batterys. I used 4/0 from the Multiplus and 2/0 from each battery to my buss bar. I used the non fuse version of the lynx - its called the Lynx Power In

I have attached a photo of my wiring. The cover is off of the power in assembly.
    Thanks for sharing. What is the rationale for placing the inverter before the Lynx? That seems counter to all the wiring diagrams I have seen. What is the benefit (or con of doing it the other way)?
    Chad

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Thanks for sharing. What is the rationale for placing the inverter before the Lynx? That seems counter to all the wiring diagrams I have seen. What is the benefit (or con of doing it the other way)?
    I think I understand what your asking. If by inverter you mean the Multiplus, you want the best possible power in to it. Also for charging the batterys and power the coach you want the pest power out. Running the power through a bunch of connections can lead to issues. In my photo I used the Lynx power in as my primary buss bar as I did not need or want the fuses as I left everything alone at the distribution panel and added a separate 12V fuse panel for separate circuits.

Now if you look at the picture on the far right is a 4 gauge red battery cable coming off the positive buss bar, it runs to the right out of frame to a disconnect switch, then to the stock positive buss bar the feed the trailer (lower left corner of picture). It connects at the same location the trailer battery did. Battery's now feed through the center disconnect switches to the positive buss bar. Multiplus is fed from the left through a fuse.

Negative return side Multiplus is tied to a common negative buss bar, then through my BVM 712 shunt to the negative buss bar in the Lynx power in module.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I think I understand what your asking. If by inverter you mean the Multiplus, you want the best possible power in to it. Also for charging the batterys and power the coach you want the pest power out. Running the power through a bunch of connections can lead to issues. In my photo I used the Lynx power in as my primary buss bar as I did not need or want the fuses as I left everything alone at the distribution panel and added a separate 12V fuse panel for separate circuits.

Now if you look at the picture on the far right is a 4 gauge red battery cable coming off the positive buss bar, it runs to the right out of frame to a disconnect switch, then to the stock positive buss bar the feed the trailer (lower left corner of picture). It connects at the same location the trailer battery did. Battery's now feed through the center disconnect switches to the positive buss bar. Multiplus is fed from the left through a fuse.

Negative return side Multiplus is tied to a common negative buss bar, then through my BVM 712 shunt to the negative buss bar in the Lynx power in module.

Hope this helps
    Thanks again for the clarifications.
    Chad