User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I believe some trailers have a valve you can close to force a cylinder to not operate. I've seen them, on ours, but never messed with them. I also have the B&W hitch, have had one for over 15 years, and I've never done a pull test. If the handle comes back, the hitch is latched. I drove for over a mile one time with the handle not pinned, not on purpose, but does show that it was locked. Just a good example of the excellent design of the B&W hitch.
    I accidentally did the same thing a few weeks ago, except I went about 15 miles. I did a tug test but forgot the pin. After I got to my destination to disconnect, I almost soiled myself and stared at the hitch for about a minute. It then dawned on me how well that hitch (B&W Companion) has been designed and made me glad.
    Brian and Lisa - Longmont, CO
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2022 F350 Lariat DRW Powerstroke
    Firestone airbags - WirelessOne Airlift
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's a peach of a hitch. And made next door to me, in Kansas.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago a neighbor at the campground forgot to drop the tailgate before unhitching. About $1000 later the tailgate was as good as new.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    I also have a B&W. Most people don't tug test, but I do. After hitching the truck to the trailer I will bring up the landing gear. As said, one will rise before the other. When the second comes up about 1/2 inch I will hit the extend button, the first one that retracted will lower, the other will not move. I stop it at about 1/2 inch. Do the tug test, hit retract all and I'm on my way.
    Hope this helps, if I made it clear.
    That's the way to do it
    George & Ronda
    2023 Momentum 376THS-R
    2020 F450 Platinum

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not raise the leveling legs to do a tug test, as stated in my owners manual. I also have the B&W and it is a really easy hitch to work with. I back under the 5th wheel, with the legs still down, and I can watch the hitch handle move into the correct position and then put the truck into forward and let the idle of the truck pull forward. If it is not hitched, then the 5th wheel stays in place without the possibility of dropping onto the legs. I then visually inspect the jaws to make sure they are latched and then lock the handle in place. Then, when starting to leave, at a slow speed, I hit the manual switch on the trailer brakes to make sure they are working.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    I do not raise the leveling legs to do a tug test, as stated in my owners manual. I also have the B&W and it is a really easy hitch to work with. I back under the 5th wheel, with the legs still down, and I can watch the hitch handle move into the correct position and then put the truck into forward and let the idle of the truck pull forward. If it is not hitched, then the 5th wheel stays in place without the possibility of dropping onto the legs. I then visually inspect the jaws to make sure they are latched and then lock the handle in place. Then, when starting to leave, at a slow speed, I hit the manual switch on the trailer brakes to make sure they are working.
    I do the same , no reason to lift landing gear. B&W hitch manual also says leave landing fully on ground when doing pull test.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123