User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Padlocks for B&W

We're about to embark on a multi-state trip with our Momentum and was looking to buy some padlocks for our B&W hitch. I used padlocks on my previous hitch for security reasons but they don't fit this one. I would like to have one padlock for the arm, and one for the puck system levers.

Anybody do the same? What padlocks do you recommend for each application?

Thanks!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, never have even considered a padlock. Any padlock small enough to fit would be easily defeated with a bolt cutter. I've never been worried our 200 lb. hitch would be stolen for resale.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clange View Post
    We're about to embark on a multi-state trip with our Momentum and was looking to buy some padlocks for our B&W hitch. I used padlocks on my previous hitch for security reasons but they don't fit this one. I would like to have one padlock for the arm, and one for the puck system levers.

Thanks!
    Yes we do but its not to prevent theft of the hitch or RV, its to detour nasty people from stealing the lock arm pin and partially opening the arm on our B&W Companion, or the puck levers on fuel stops or short stops along the road. We use master weather resistant padlocks keyed the same. I take the locks off periodically and use graphite and exercise the padlock to make sure they don't corrode and freeze up, but I always check the B&W after hitched travel stops to make sure nobody has fooled with the hitch. Its just a deterrent. I took the different OEM pins with me to the hardware store to compare the size when buying padlocks.

If you don't use a padlock at least on the lock arm to detour buttholes, its best to have a spare lock arm pin of some type just in case someone steals the pin and partially opens the arm. You might not have a problem with tomfoolery for a lot of years, but you never say never.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!
    Hello---I use these locks ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on my new puck system and like them. Sure they can be defeated but everything can given the right amount of time and the right tools. For me it's peace of mind and another small layer of defense. Secondly, it's another layer of protection in case the handles were to turn or the lock pin comes out. I had this happen on my Reese standard hitch when the cotter pin fell out and then my clevis pin worked it's way out after driving on a 3+ hour trip and then a very bumpy road. I now use locks for all my hitch type devices and receivers. To each his own---it's what has worked for me for the last 40+ years of towing.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Hello---I use these locks ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on my new puck system and like them. Sure they can be defeated but everything can given the right amount of time and the right tools. For me it's peace of mind and another small layer of defense. Secondly, it's another layer of protection in case the handles were to turn or the lock pin comes out. I had this happen on my Reese standard hitch when the cotter pin fell out and then my clevis pin worked it's way out after driving on a 3+ hour trip and then a very bumpy road. I now use locks for all my hitch type devices and receivers. To each his own---it's what has worked for me for the last 40+ years of towing.
    Same here. Definitely use one on the latch arm so some jerk does not open it at a lunch stop. I use them on the puck levers as well like COGrandDes.
    2022 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab Duramax with BW OEM non slide hitch
    2022 Reflection 31MB w custom 7000# axles, dual panhard rods and G rate tires.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, y'all. I was thinking about just using 1 lock on the puck system - is there a reason to do all four points?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, y'all. I was thinking about just using 1 lock on the puck system - is there a reason to do all four points?
    That's up to you and how much harder of a target you want to be. One lock is easier and quicker to remove than four, right? I have all four corners of my pucks locked with padlocks that are keyed alike.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two corners locked on my pucks. One on each side of the truck bed caddie corner if that makes sense.
    2022 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab Duramax with BW OEM non slide hitch
    2022 Reflection 31MB w custom 7000# axles, dual panhard rods and G rate tires.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use these as replacements for the saddle pins & use padlocks elsewhere. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...s-now-availabl
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    I use these as replacements for the saddle pins & use padlocks elsewhere. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...s-now-availabl
    I saw where you posted these lockable saddle pins in another post, thanks, Thats the only part of our hitch not locked. I'll get some of them.

To the OP, You wouldn't necessarily have to padlock all four corners of the puck lever clamps but we did. If you stay over at a WalMart parking lot or places like that, someone could steal the the puck lever pins and open your puck clamps, but if you find someone did this, you could just close the puck levers again but you would be missing the locking pins. So I thought it was best to lock all four corners.

Again, at hitched up stop overs, I always check the hitch to make sure nobody has fooled with it, Or the 7 way power cord, Or the breakaway cord!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast