Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning Topper issue

Just got to Florida in out 2021 3540 gk-r. After we set up the wind keeps whipping the slide toppers around, they sound like a loose tarp flapping. Is there a way to tension them a little more to keep them from flapping? Tips or tricks to stop the flapping?
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S Class 3540 GK-R
    2021 Ford Super Duty Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.7 LWB F350
    Curt A 20 Hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieD View Post
    Just got to Florida in out 2021 3540 gk-r. After we set up the wind keeps whipping the slide toppers around, they sound like a loose tarp flapping. Is there a way to tension them a little more to keep them from flapping? Tips or tricks to stop the flapping?
    If the wind catches them the right way they will flap. Tensioning may help but likely not. You can try a pool noodle under to keep them from flapping. Others have used PVC pipe to make a stand to place between the slideout roof and the topper. Others have used straps over the topper to prevent flapping. I rarely have the issue with mine but will if the wind catches them a certain way so I have not done anything with mine.

If you know the manufacturer of your slide toppers you can go to their website and they have instructions for tightening the tension as well if they are loose but may want the dealer to do it as there is a lot of tension and if not done correctly can hurt yourself or even have it unwind.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We love our slide toppers. But like you in high winds they tend to flap and pop. We just put up with it as when the wind is that strong there is a lot of noise going on. But over the years I have seen some interesting solutions to topper popping and rain puddles, here's some ideas to consider.

Awning de-flappers. Little clamps that attach to the edge of your awning. Then some commercial grade velcro attached to the side of the slide. The soft side does not interfere with slide seal.

A home made PVC pipe support. Basically just a big U made out of PVC pipe with legs at the joints and ends.

Inflatable beach toys. Beach balls, seem to be the most popular.

Throw a rope over the top and tie it underneath the slide. I kind of like this one as it also helps with rain drainage and can be done without climbing.

I also carry a role of awning repair tape. With high winds and popping awnings you will find little tears on the corners. If you get them taped as they occur the tear doesn't grow.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impromptu solutions:

1. Go to a Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc and get a set of ratcheting tie-down straps at least 1.5 inches in width - wider the better. Toss over the topper, around the slide box, and tighten.

2. Rope. Same fashion but get pool noodles or pipe insulation to cushion at the edge of topper and walls of slide box. If you don't cushion you will get some damage to the topper.

You cannot increase tension to the point of halting wind whip without causing other issues with the topper.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S Class 3540 GK-R
    2021 Ford Super Duty Crew Cab 4X4 DRW 6.7 LWB F350