User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

397th tow vehicle thought

Hello folks. [Expletive removed] new guy here….
    Looks like I’m picking up a 2018 397th. The 1/2 ton ram isn’t going to cut it.
    Here is the scenario:
    I’m getting a great family deal on this, so I have to get this. It’s not even going to be used as a toy hauler. It’s not going to be towed but maybe once a year, if that. It will be living quarters while my son travels from military base to the next military base. It may be towed a few times a year, or or less, depends on deployment and relocation.
    So, with that in mind, and such a heavy tongue weight, I still feel like I need to be 3500 DRW territory.
    Im used to hauling 24-28 ft enclosed car trailers with a 2500 Cummings Ram SRW for work, or my own 28 ft enclosed with the hemi ram 1500.
    I love to tow, so not intimidating by the size of this behemoth.
    So, based on research, mainly on payload, I feel like my bare minimum choices would be a duramax 3500 dually, or a 3500 ram SRW. I will say that I’m liking the specs of the 24 duramax engine mated to the 10 speed. Blue ovals are out of the equation. Sorry ford guys, just not my thing.
    Bring on the thoughts!
    Last edited by Todd440; 07-23-2023 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Removed expletive work-around

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pin weight on a 397 once loaded will probably be over 4k lbs, I'd say you're well into DRW territory. Any of the big 3 will be fine, pick what you like best as far as manufacturer goes, everyone has their own preference. I'd say if you can, test drive the different brands and see what you like or don't like.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to agree with @FT4NOW - firmly in dual rear wheel territory.

You can read over the community rules here:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ommunity-Rules

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Todd. It sounds like you have quite a bit of towing experience, and it also sounds like you have a handle on the realization that when towing, the TV needs to be up to the task in all the weight ratings/tow ratings.

As the owner of a Momentum 394M, I too have some perspective on these large 5th Wheel Camping type trailers. 20,000 lbs GVWR, triple axle, pin weights in the 4000+ lbs range, etc, etc.

The 397 is very similar to my trailer, except just a bit heavier on base weight, and a little bit longer. With these trailers, it's pretty easy, when loaded up to see pin weights in the 4000 lb range. Of course that will vary depending on how much is loaded into it, where it's loaded, heavy toys in the garage or not, etc. And of course, the pin weight is just one of the components that go into the payload calculation for the truck. You probably already know this, but in case you don't....there is also the weight of the 5ver hitch itself, anything and everything else that goes in or on the truck, either in the bed of the truck or inside the truck.

And as far as not moving the trailer but once or twice a year, you certainly still want to be safe and within all the weight ratings for the truck and the trailer. In my opinion, the 397TH, along with pretty much every single one of the Grand Design Triple Axle trailers need to be towed by a Dually truck with enough payload capacity to be able to handle the possible 4000+ lbs of pin weight, plus the hitch, plus anything/everything else that goes in/on the truck.
    I've had my Dually (payload = 5270 lbs) loaded up to within about 500 lbs of the GVWR of the truck, which is 14,000 lbs

That's my take on it, but I am one of those folks that strive to always be within the weight capacities when towing.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have 1800# in the garage your pin weight will be heavier than expected. You're already in dually territory...

BTW, I'll never buy another Ford after they sold me the 6.4 either. I'm pulling with a Ram 6.7 HO and 4:10 rear end, it's a beast. If you buy a Ram you won't get the CP4 fuel pump either (except for some 19 & 20 models that haven't been changed out).
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I did drive a few yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised how smooth a 8 ft box dually was. I was also surprised how different the power feels in the duramax, compared to the cummins. Completely different animals.
    FT4NOW, you mentioned pin weight after loading, and it brought up another thought. I know the pin weight is listed as 3350 empty. Seeing that a toy hauler is designed to have extra weight in the rear, behind the axles, wouldn't that reduce the nose weight if distributed properly? Of course I'll CAT scale this beast when ready

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    If you don't have 1800# in the garage your pin weight will be heavier than expected. You're already in dually territory...

BTW, I'll never buy another Ford after they sold me the 6.4 either. I'm pulling with a Ram 6.7 HO and 4:10 rear end, it's a beast. If you buy a Ram you won't get the CP4 fuel pump either (except for some 19 & 20 models that haven't been changed out).
    Ah, you beat me to the punch there. I figured the garage weight is a factor. Yeah, I've always liked the rams. But, with the cp4 issues, and now the aisin trans issues, I'm thinking of jumping ship!

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd440 View Post
    Seeing that a toy hauler is designed to have extra weight in the rear, behind the axles, wouldn't that reduce the nose weight if distributed properly? Of course I'll CAT scale this beast when ready
    In short - yes - but the toy in the back is just one part of the equation. LP, batteries (not included in the factory weight ticket), anything you load in the basement, everything loaded forward of the kitchen island (which is over the axles), etc., adds to the pin weight. There is also the matter of stability and safety margin should there be an issue with a rear tire on the truck. I would not consider pulling a 397TH with a single rear wheel truck.

Now - another thought. If the RV will only be used as stationary living quarters and pulled when your son PCSs, paying a hauler once or twice a year would be a lot less expensive than buying a truck. We're currently staying in a military FamCamp and there's an active duty family in the park who does just that; they don't have a truck capable of pulling their fifth wheel and his dad drives down from Illinois and moves the rig whenever the active duty member PCSs.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd440 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I did drive a few yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised how smooth a 8 ft box dually was. I was also surprised how different the power feels in the duramax, compared to the cummins. Completely different animals.
    FT4NOW, you mentioned pin weight after loading, and it brought up another thought. I know the pin weight is listed as 3350 empty. Seeing that a toy hauler is designed to have extra weight in the rear, behind the axles, wouldn't that reduce the nose weight if distributed properly? Of course I'll CAT scale this beast when ready
    I have a 398, and my loaded pin weight is about 700lbs heavier than the dry pin weight; the weights were measured while I had a 1000lb golf cart in the back. I'm not sure of the difference without the golf cart, but I'd expect the pin weight to be slightly higher.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the replies. I hear you all load and clear, the thought SRW trucks are gone.
    Thanks for the pin weight while loaded, that nailed the coffin shut on anything less than a dually!
    Second Chance.......do tell.....military famcamp....are there many out there? Never heard of them. My son seems to think he'll be able to find full hookup sites around any base he might be stationed....I question that. He'll be a commissioned officer, so he thinks he'll be serving longer stays at each base.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast