User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery venting

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery venting

I've enjoyed all the battery threads lately. I've got a question that involves venting multiple batteries. I'm curious as to how 5th wheel owners that add one or more batteries in the front pass through storage set up a venting system. I would like to add an additional 12v battery, or maybe go with 2 X 6 volt batteries, and I'm wondering if I can just get another battery case, cut an opening in the top of it, and then "Y' into the existing vent hose. Suggestions and/or pictures would be great.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I went from one 12V battery to 2 batteries (6volt Trojan T105s), I bought a new battery box that both of them fits into.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have googled first because I've found several threads on the subject. Seems like it would be easy to make a case out of wood, or even easier a plastic storage box. Mainly curious how some may have vented 2 boxes into the one factory outside vent.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dealer provided 2 batteries with my 311. Each has it's own battery box with a vent, and they connect to a wye adapter which connects to the vent on the front of the 5th wheel. Both of my boxes have bottom vents as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 03-13-2021 at 03:09 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually to properly vent a flooded battery you need a top and a bottom vent. This is how GD set the first sunken battery box up. My dealer did it wrong in just tying the top vent into the existing vent line when they added the second battery. I am going with 4-6V in a new box and it will have a bottom vent opening when I set it up as well as the top vent. Flooded batteries produce 2 types of gas. Hydrogen which is lighter than air and hydrogen sulfide which is heaver than air, Both in the right concentrations are very explosive.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dealer threw in a second battery when I bought it. Put it in a separate (non vented battery box) and hooked it straight as a generator start battery. Have had no issues with no vent as the battery compartment is not air tight. As a side note - on my first boondocking trip using the generator, the generator died after about a day and a half of continuous use. Later found out that the generator does not have a charging circuit and it finally ran out of juice since the generator uses the 12v power to run. Ended up paralleling the two batteries to provide charging of the second battery.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    My dealer provided 2 batteries with my 311. Each has it's own battery box with a vent, and they connect to a wye adapter which connects to the vent on the front of the 5th wheel. Both of my boxes have bottom vents as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I'm adding a second battery now looking to use the existing vent as a common port. What did you use for a wye to connect the two hoses? Finding hose was easy, a fitting, not so much.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I'm adding a second battery now looking to use the existing vent as a common port. What did you use for a wye to connect the two hoses? Finding hose was easy, a fitting, not so much.
    Wicked
    My dealer used common white PVC fittings that just fit inside the hose (Home Depot or Loews, etc) and then used small sheet metal screws to hold it together. There are also kits (more $$$$) on Amazon. If you can provide a bottom vent like GD does on their box.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Wicked
    My dealer used common white PVC fittings that just fit inside the hose (Home Depot or Loews, etc) and then used small sheet metal screws to hold it together. There are also kits (more $$$$) on Amazon. If you can provide a bottom vent like GD does on their box.
    I was able to obtain a second box identical to the dealer ( GD ) installed one.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Wicked
    Found the answer! https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...755#post370755

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast