User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never buy new again

Bought a solitude 377 MB brand new in 2017. It was like almost 80 thousand dollars. Here we are less than 4 years later and I can't even get half that on a trade in or selling privately In excellent condition mind you. I thought because I was buying one of the best 5th wheels in GD it would have a better resale value. GD is not any different than any other RV company. For the amount of money you pay you would think they would be better built. Save your self a lot money and buy a used RV and let the person who bought it new take the loss.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's got nothing to do with it being a Grand Design product. The 4 yr residual value on an F150 leased new is in the 40 - 45% range and that's on the best selling vehicle of any kind for over 40 years in a row. It's normal depreciation for any vehicle, car, truck, or RV.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You bring up a valid point, that's why I bought a 3 year old f150.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a lot of peace of mind in a new unit. And not all of them depreciate like that, but any unit is going to depreciate. We are picking up a new 2021 265BH this weekend, for what I think is a good price right now. We are selling our 2016 Jayco which we bought new in 2016 for $18,200. We are selling it for $13.200 so it's a 27% loss in depreciation, which I think is pretty good. The way I look at it, is we paid $1000 a year to live and camp in a brand new camper that we were 100% sure was not abused or neglected. We had a couple of used units before this and you never know how they were taken care of or what is being hidden.

They all have issues. There is no brand or product line that is consistently perfect. The first year in a new unit should always be considered the shakedown year, where you find all the loose screws, things that weren't installed right, and that's what the warranty is for if it's something expensive or if it's not something you're comfortable with fixing yourself.

50% depreciation does sound like a hell of a lot, but dealers always go low on the trade, as part of their business is to flip it for a profit. Have you tried to sell it privately? Have you checked Nada/Kbb for values?

Definitely understand your frustration.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Bought a solitude 377 MB brand new in 2017. It was like almost 80 thousand dollars. Here we are less than 4 years later and I can't even get half that on a trade in or selling privately In excellent condition mind you. I thought because I was buying one of the best 5th wheels in GD it would have a better resale value. GD is not any different than any other RV company. For the amount of money you pay you would think they would be better built. Save your self a lot money and buy a used RV and let the person who bought it new take the loss.
    Average retail on a 2107 377MB is $57k if you want to sell it on your own.

Trade in is obviously less.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    How much off MSRP did you buy your rig for? That's also a factor to consider.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Average retail on a 2107 377MB is $57k if you want to sell it on your own.

Trade in is obviously less.
    You are spot on here. I happen to own a 2018 377mbs and they could be negotiated into the 50k-60k range when we purchased.

Depreciation is a major bummer on it’s own, but depreciation and a marginal sales deal makes things really painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We looked at used. Decided to buy new. We found that almost every RV depreciates 20% the first year. I always figured my new cars drop 10 grand the minute I drive it off the lot. Perhaps you should have done your diligence before buying new.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get soaked at full or close to full MSRP that depreciation curve is really nasty.

If you get 30% off MSRP, the pain is less and if you sell on your own as opposed to trading it in even less.

Grand design is no different than any other RV maker.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m curious. Is the 2020 run on RV’s coming to a close? Last July I sold a 2018 POS (it was horrible) Starcraft 5th wheel for almost what I paid for it. I couldn’t believe it. Phone was ringing off the hook and the second guy that called offered 19k on a unit I paid two years earlier for 21k. That was in July and it feels like that was right about the time everyone i. the world (it seems like) was buying campers. We ended up with a new 2020 31mb and what a difference. At twice the cost mind you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast