User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can My Truck Pull a 320MKS?

I've checked the weights and the 320MKS will be within the ratings of my truck, but what do you guys think? My truck is in my sig. I don't plan on loading the MKS up to the GVWR, EVER. I don't boondock and never carry more than enough water to flush the toilet when we travel. We have about 1000lbs of things in the TT we currently own.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    I've checked the weights and the 320MKS will be within the ratings of my truck, but what do you guys think? My truck is in my sig. I don't plan on loading the MKS up to the GVWR, EVER. I don't boondock and never carry more than enough water to flush the toilet when we travel. We have about 1000lbs of things in the TT we currently own.
    Open the door and snap a picture of the sticker and post it here. Or post the GVWR and axle weights. It should also list your CCC.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Open the door and snap a picture of the sticker and post it here. Or post the GVWR and axle weights. It should also list your CCC.

The sticker says my GVWR is 10800#. Front 4550 GAWR and Rear 6780 GAWR. It says the combined weight for occupants and cargo should never exceed 4101#.

I know how to add up for TT, but I'm not sure how to understand 5th wheels as they're riding more on the full truck.

I see the unloaded Hitch Weight is 2040#, so that should leave me with about 2060# left. Based off my current travel trailer, we only have about 800# of things in there at any given time. I'm a believer in the truck can tow what they rate it as, so I'm assuming I'll be about 800-1000lbs left on the truck one all my things are in there and loaded up. But maybe you can tell me more. Thanks!
    Last edited by EddieK82; 03-08-2021 at 04:55 PM.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sticker says my GVWR is 10800#. Front 4550 GAWR and Rear 6780 GAWR. It says the combined weight for occupants and cargo should never exceed 4101#.

I know how to add up for TT, but I'm not sure how to understand 5th wheels as they're riding more on the full truck.

I see the unloaded Hitch Weight is 2040#, so that should leave me with about 2060# left. Based off my current travel trailer, we only have about 800# of things in there at any given time. I'm a believer in the truck can tow what they rate it as, so I'm assuming I'll be about 800-1000lbs left on the truck one all my things are in there and loaded up. But maybe you can tell me more. Thanks!
    The key number here is the 4101 lbs. What that number represents is the CCC it cargo carrying capacity of the truck, sans a full tank of gas, all people who would ride in the truck, the hitch, and other miscellaneous stuff.

What's is left over is what your pin weight can be.

For example:
    My trucks CCC is 3273 lbs. Include me, the wife, the dogs, my daughter, my tools and other "under the back bench" stuff, a full tank of gas and DEF, and the B&W Companion hitch, my remaining CCC is right around 2200 lbs.

When we load the coach with just our camping stuff and about 1/3 of a tank of fresh water, our calculated pin weight on a CAT scale is 2700 lbs. We have a washer and dryer in the front closet that puts most of that weight on the pin. We have dual pane windows as well, which adds weight.

So on our situation, we are about 500 lbs OVER or remaining CCC. If we get stopped and weighed, we get a ticket.

So to know completely, I recommend loading everything that would be in the truck when you hitch up, including the hitch, full tank of fuel, and other 2 or 4 legged family that would be going with you, and going to the closest truck stop, download the CAT Scale app, pay the $12.00, and get a full weight. That will tell you your individual axle weights, and your total weight. From there, you can determine your true CCC. If it's more than say 2500 lbs, then you should be fine.

As you can see, it's not really an easy question to answer.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, great. I have the cat app and will go there next time I cross into Jersey. Thanks!
    Ed & Kaitlin

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	33884

Attached is the scale with the things that will be in my truck. Minus the hitch, which is 150#. My truck can't exceed 10,800#.

10,800, minus 7480# = 3320# Left.

3320 - 2040(hitch weight) = 1,280# left.

I should be OK even if I add a washer/dryer and generator/clothes in the rig. I'm thinking I'll be around 500lbs under the truck capacity.

I am looking at F350 diesel trucks, but have to wait on one for a year or so.

What do you think?
    Last edited by EddieK82; 05-04-2021 at 10:18 AM.
    Ed & Kaitlin

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Advertised/unloaded pin weights aren't useful. Loaded for travel the 320MKS will put between 3,000 and 3,200 lbs. on the pin (23% of the trailer's GVWR).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	33884

Attached is the scale with the things that will be in my truck. Minus the hitch, which is 150#. My truck can't exceed 10,800#.

10,800, minus 7480# = 3320# Left.

3320 - 2040(hitch weight) = 1,280# left.

I should be OK even if I add a washer/dryer and generator/clothes in the rig. I'm thinking I'll be around 500lbs under the truck capacity.

I am looking at F350 diesel trucks, but have to wait on one for a year or so.

What do you think?
    You will have to get the actual weight. Weight the truck, with everything in it, including 2 and 4 legged family, cooler, hitch, etc.

Then, weight the entire rig, that will give you your actual pin weight.

The advertised pin weight is the "stock" trailer. The pin weight on the sticker is with the trailer empty, with all the options you ordered it with. No propane or battery(ies) either.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By those calculations, I'm going to be pretty close the max this truck can handle. I don't get the rig until mid-end June.
    Ed & Kaitlin

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By those calculations, I'm going to be pretty close the max this truck can handle. I don't get the rig until mid-end June.
    Possibly. We are in the process of reconfiguring what we bring with us, and where in the coach is stored.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast