User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I would really start at (advice I should have taken myself) "Can I make a DRW work for me" as the decision point rather than "Will this SRW tow my rig". DRW is a better towing experience, need it or not.
    This is SO well stated. Not saying a dually is right for everyone, but it will yield the best towing experience: period.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    We were pulling a Solitude 379FL (42.5 feet, 14K+) with a 2006 F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel. There was some sway and doing the math it proved that the rear truck tires were maxxed out in capacity. I was losing sleep worrying about having a blowout in the Tennessee mountains!!

Looking at options I found that the 2006 F350 SRW has the exact same axle as the F250, and other than a couple of extra leaf springs giving 1k more bed weight, they are within a few hundred pounds of towing capacity. The engine and complete drivetrains were identical. Therefore I determined that I needed dually's, not a new truck.

My solution was to add a dually kit which we bought from Arrowcraft near north of Detroit, Michigan. Please see https://arrowcraftproducts.com . It does NOT add capacity. It just adds stability and halves the weight on each rear tire. The kit (which I installed in about 3 hours), 7 shiny alloy rims, and four new (thinner) tires, two fiberglass fenders, hardware and a body shop to install them totaled about $4200. There is NO MORE SWAY and the rear truck tires don't get as hot. It was a great remedy for us and it looks great!

Attachment 31220
    Very interesting. I always wondered why someone might buy one of those dually conversion, and you have explained it very well. If you are in the market for a new truck, it was only an extra $1400 when I ordered mine in 2017.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None. I have a F350 SRW with the original Michelins (20"). They have 32000 miles. They have worn well and I am religious about getting them rotated and balanced every 6000 miles (tops). I am pulling a Solitude 2930RL with GVWR of 15K lbs., dry, about 11K lbs. Pin box weight is 2,174 lbs. Truck pulls and handles really well with the Solitude. F350 has a GVWR of 11,500 lbs. Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gdocca View Post
    None. I have a F350 SRW with the original Michelins (20"). They have 32000 miles. They have worn well and I am religious about getting them rotated and balanced every 6000 miles (tops). I am pulling a Solitude 2930RL with GVWR of 15K lbs., dry, about 11K lbs. Pin box weight is 2,174 lbs. Truck pulls and handles really well with the Solitude. F350 has a GVWR of 11,500 lbs. Hope this helps.

That's even more closely related experence than I have. Though his quoted pin box weight is the empty weight, not loaded. Just be aware of that.

I pull a GD 303RLS, GVWR 11,995, with a SRW F-350, GVWR is 11,500 lbs. The kicker is the weight of the diesel engine versus gas which effectively lowers the payload. I run the original Michelin 20" also. My tow rating is something like 15.7k. My payload rating is 3,131 lbs. That's below the solitude so everything looks good on paper. But add me, the wife and the weight of the goodies in the truck and I would never make it.

To each his own and I would not say anyone is in the wrong, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that Solitude behind my truck for anything other than a short trip. I'd be looking at more truck, except for what I am about to bring up.

I don't know what kind of license you have but you might want to check your state's licensing laws. Your Solitude and my truck, even though it is a SRW, would push me out of my license class. I only have the standard Class C license good for up to 26,000 +/- GCWR. My current combination falls below that. I won't go higher.

I've experienced blowouts on the trailer tire before. With a dual-axle rig, they are largely non-events. The trailer continues down the road for a distance required to stop with one tire just fine. Blowouts on the TV would be something else entirely and I have no wish to experience that.
    Bruce and Lynn - South Central PA
    2016 F-350 Lariat Crew - 6.7L PS, 4WD, SRW, LWB
    B & W Companion
    2019 Relection 303RLS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    Really a minor deal, but you might want to consider: Do you like hand-washing your truck? You may not be able to get a dually into a car wash, due to the width. Certainly not saying that this would over-ride safety but, in our case, we didn’t need a dually for our 303. Our 350 goes through a car wash without any issues, so I can have more time sitting outside enjoying the 303 and a beverage...
    What does this mean, "wash the truck"? I buy white trucks that only occasionally look dirty and when they do a rain soon comes along to clean them off. Our 2017 350 has been washed once by me (only because I had the power washer out for the trailer) and washed and waxed once almost two years ago by the guys detailing our trailer.

I'm sorry if that report makes some guys have nightmares.

P.S. The truck has seen very little Canadian winter. This year it will see more and I'll probably be more diligent about washing.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A dually will be a better towing experience. Comes down to where do you live/drive when not towing. We live in Ontario Canada and dual wheel trucks absolutely suck in snow. If I lived where snow is rare or non existent, I would have a dually. Being where I am, SRW is the only way to go if it is your daily when not towing.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    What does this mean, "wash the truck"? Our 2017 350 has been washed once by me (only because I had the power washer out for the trailer) and washed and waxed once almost two years ago by the guys detailing our trailer.

I'm sorry if that report makes some guys have nightmares. \
    Wow just wow.....
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Wow just wow.....
    X2 !....... @boyscout - Mark, this is just sad and not right.......yikes !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd wash it....even though it's just a Ford, but still....show it some love boyscout.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I'd wash it....even though it's just a Ford, but still....show it some love boyscout.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast