User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safely transporting spare propane tank - is my truck bed OK?

Hi all

I find different points of view on this, so looking to you great folks for some perspective.

I have a 2021 imagine 2400bh and we are getting ready for our maiden voyage. We purchased a Blackstone Tailgater grill. I know I can change out the hose and use the RVs quick connect port. But concerned about using too much propane.

So, I am considering bringing a spare 20 lb tank just for the grill. Traveling from NJ to Florida. Towing with a 2021 Ram 1500 with 64 box. Is it safe to transport the tank (assuming I secure it in a crate and strap it in)? If yes, best place in the box to carry it?

Thanks all. Stay safe

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jeff and Maureen
    Jersey Born and Raised
    2021 Ram 1500 5.7L, 3.92 Axle Ratio
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem with the spare 20lb tank. You will find that a milk crate is perfect to transport a 20lb bottle.

Put it in the milk crate, then strap it in place in the bed. Make sure the valve is off and you are fine.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also carry a spare 20lb tank for the blackstone. I keep it wedged in the corner of my toolbox/bed side and have a base that attaches to the tank. I keep it held in with 2 bungee cords and it is in the same spot when I arrive. A ratchet strap would probably be safer. The only issue I see is in an accident the tank could become a projectile, so there is that to consider.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jboleske View Post
    Hi all

I find different points of view on this, so looking to you great folks for some perspective.

I have a 2021 imagine 2400bh and we are getting ready for our maiden voyage. We purchased a Blackstone Tailgater grill. I know I can change out the hose and use the RVs quick connect port. But concerned about using too much propane.

So, I am considering bringing a spare 20 lb tank just for the grill. Traveling from NJ to Florida. Towing with a 2021 Ram 1500 with 64 box. Is it safe to transport the tank (assuming I secure it in a crate and strap it in)? If yes, best place in the box to carry it?

Thanks all. Stay safe

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also have the Blackstone Tailgater. I travel with a 20 lb. tank for the grill. I put it in a milk crate and put at the front of the bed right behind the cab.

I have decided to use the single tank so that I can put my grill ANYWHERE I need it located. I'm not limited by my quick connect and 12 feet of hose.

I have a bed cover and think the tank is perfectly safe. No more unsafe than the two tanks on the front of your trailer.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often carry an extra tank for our generator. Ratchet strap in the corner of the bed (in my case usually the back corner up against the tailgate). I also have a sturdy bed cover, but as long as the tank is secure not sure that matters.

I like the milk crate idea for ease of securing the tank. Don’t want it moving around.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Propane is safer than gasoline so no worries at all

I actually just remove a tank off the trailer to use for our Napoleon BBQ. But the furnace is rarely used so 20 lbs of propane last the season
    YMMV

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a good example. Tie the tank to the crate, then the crate to your truck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails propanemilkcrate.jpg  
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm another one that carries one in a plastic milk crate.
    Transporting lp is perfectly safe as long as the bottles are sitting up right. In a lot of places its illegal to carry them laying down on their sides.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Oasis Firefly carbon foam AGM and Victron multi plus 12/ 3000 / inverter charger are in the basement freeing the area aft of the hitch to add another propane container. In addition we increased the bottles to 30 pounders.

We have a 30 ft gas quick connect hose to run our dual fuel Westinghouse IGen 4500 inverter generator and connect our Magma grill.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the supportive suggestions. I like the idea of not being limited by the quick connect hose for the Blackstone. Plus, my son loves to tailgate and he will borrow it and I'd rather not have to swap out hoses.

By the way, I see the Blackstone Tailgater on Amazon for about $245. I got mine on sale at BJs for $129 - great deal!

I think we are about ready to roll. Last question - - Are my Westlake tires going to hold up? I see so many differing opinions. How often should i pull over and let them cool?

Thanks all

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast