User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 Lincoln Navigator

I am purchasing 2021 Grand Design 2500 RL which has a GVWR of 7495 lbs.
    My 2020 Lincoln Navigator has a maximum loaded trailer weight rating of 8300.
    The 2500 RL UVW is 5857.

I usually have wife kid and dog in the vehicle which adds 400 lbs plus equipment and food. Not sure how much the equipment and food is but im guessing around 1000 lbs.

Do you think its safe to tow ?

Thanks,

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without knowing the payload of your Lincoln, I will guess the navigator is a upper end optioned vehicle which equals more weight. There should be a sticker inside your drivers door which indicates the payload or working that passenger and cargo should not exceed "x weight in pounds/kg". Can you advise what that number is? Compare that to your GVWR.

UVW is a fantasy number which will increase as you load you trailer with propane, groceries, clothing, chairs, bbq's etc.

To get the real number to your navigator, load it up full of fuel, kids, gear as you would to go camping and take it to the nearest CAT scale and get your real weight. Once you have that number, compare it to the GVWR which should also be on the sticker of the Navigator to determine where you are at on weight.

GD list the hitch weight of the 2500 at 581 pounds. This will likely also increase once you load the trailer with goods and propane. Confusing, yes, but at least you will KNOW what your TV weighs fully loaded and you can determine how much room you have and if the 2500 is appropriate for your navigator
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will overwhelm and overload the Navigator with your trailer
    We have the same trailer
    It’s not just towing capacity but equally important is payload capacity
    Your Navigator is 1,677 to 1,703 lbs. Not much

Your 2500rl will be about 8000 lbs x 15% on the tongue or about 1200 lbs. that with very little liquid in it
    Add 300 lbs of human, dog weight in the SUV and you are already up to 1500 lbs. the weight distribution hitch another 75-100 lbs. who knows what else you carry in the SUV but you are past it’s payload capacity limit.SUV suspensions are made for super soft rides not towing this heavy of a trailer

How does this affect the SUV. It will strain the rear suspension and potentially take years off its life. Your alternator is not big enough nor is the cooling for the tranny or radiator. Most importantly with exceeding capacity you’ll be subject to potentially more sway and the tail wagging the dog. Some may be apparent immediately

Not trying to scare you or be a nay sayer. Many will tell you they’ve towed like this for years. We have the same trailer and tow with a 410 ho V8 Hemi , gear ration 4.13, payload capacity 3200 lbs, towing capacity 12,000 lbs. most people will exceed payload capacity long before towing capacity.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChomperoni View Post
    The 2500 RL UVW is 5857.

I usually have wife kid and dog in the vehicle which adds 400 lbs plus equipment and food. Not sure how much the equipment and food is but im guessing around 1000 lbs.

Thanks,
    “Do you think it is safe to tow?”

This question is impossible to answer

The trailer should fit under the specs of the Nav and with a top wdh I personally would have no issue doing it but I have no idea who you are to determine if it is safe. How long of trips are you planning?

I never go over 63mph. If I had a 450 truck I wouldn’t go over 63mph.

One modification I personally would make to the Lincoln is LT tires which will affect its ride all the other times you are not towing

The last thing I noticed you said “I am purchasing”
    Are you looking or have you already bought?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    “Do you think it is safe to tow?”

This question is impossible to answer

The trailer should fit under the specs of the Nav and with a top wdh I personally would have no issue doing it but I have no idea who you are to determine if it is safe. How long of trips are you planning?

I never go over 63mph. If I had a 450 truck I wouldn’t go over 63mph.

One modification I personally would make to the Lincoln is LT tires which will affect its ride all the other times you are not towing

The last thing I noticed you said “I am purchasing”
    Are you looking or have you already bought?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    I have put a downpayment down and waiting for it to arrive from factory. Thanks for the answer.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    You will overwhelm and overload the Navigator with your trailer
    We have the same trailer
    It’s not just towing capacity but equally important is payload capacity
    Your Navigator is 1,677 to 1,703 lbs. Not much

Your 2500rl will be about 8000 lbs x 15% on the tongue or about 1200 lbs. that with very little liquid in it
    Add 300 lbs of human, dog weight in the SUV and you are already up to 1500 lbs. the weight distribution hitch another 75-100 lbs. who knows what else you carry in the SUV but you are past it’s payload capacity limit.SUV suspensions are made for super soft rides not towing this heavy of a trailer

How does this affect the SUV. It will strain the rear suspension and potentially take years off its life. Your alternator is not big enough nor is the cooling for the tranny or radiator. Most importantly with exceeding capacity you’ll be subject to potentially more sway and the tail wagging the dog. Some may be apparent immediately

Not trying to scare you or be a nay sayer. Many will tell you they’ve towed like this for years. We have the same trailer and tow with a 410 ho V8 Hemi , gear ration 4.13, payload capacity 3200 lbs, towing capacity 12,000 lbs. most people will exceed payload capacity long before towing capacity.
    I was worried about the payload capacity. Not making me feel better. That's for sure.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were looking the appropriate TV for a 2400BH (and considering if we should go to a smaller trailer) which is about the same size as your trailer. I put together this spreadsheet, which included the Expedition. The expedition had a little more payload margin, but ran out of tongue margin much earlier. I would guess the Navigator is going to have lower ratings due to the additional weight.

In the end, we went with the Tahoe and the 2400BH. We also optioned the maximum tow package with the Tahoe which includes, among other things, a different rear diff ratio. We're living in it full-time and have towed it about 1,500 miles. I'd say it tows well. I can feel the tractor trailers move us a touch when they're going by much faster, but nothing alarming. We've also driven in some windy conditions (flags out straight) and never noticed the trailer pushing us around. In unpopulated areas without flags, I often first notice it's windy because the gas mileage falls by a MPG or so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table.PNG 
Views:	46 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	32155
    Chris, Tara, our two daughters, and our dog Slate full-timing
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Chevrolet Tahoe

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChomperoni View Post
    The 2500 RL UVW is 5857.

Thanks,
    Absolutely not. Maybe in a straight line without distracted drivers on the road, emergencies, mountain passages and poor weather conditions. The suspension is too soft and the truck is too light. I certainly wouldn't put my family in that setup.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Maguire View Post
    Absolutely not. Maybe in a straight line without distracted drivers on the road, emergencies, mountain passages and poor weather conditions. The suspension is too soft and the truck is too light. I certainly wouldn't put my family in that setup.
    A Navigator weighs 6000 lbs???

About the same as your 250

They are capable to tow with that engine as well
    Tons of power

I wouldn’t hesitate to jump into this setup and go anywhere

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    A Navigator weighs 6000 lbs???

About the same as your 250

They are capable to tow with that engine as well
    Tons of power

I wouldn’t hesitate to jump into this setup and go anywhere

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    It's not what it can tow but what it can carry - its payload is too low due to soft suspension. We disagree, wouldn't be the first time for either of us. Cheers!
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast