User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Route Suggestions

My wife and I will be traveling from Gunnison Colorado to Taos New Mexico later this month and I am looking at routes. For those of you that have traveled in that area, is it better to take Highway 50 east to Poncha Springs and then south on 285 toward Alamoso or take 114 to Saguache and then to Alamosa? Highway 50 seems like the logical way to go but you have to go over Monarch Pass. I've never been on 114 so I don't know what it is like. I am looking for suggestions.
    2021 Transcend Explorer 260RB

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    My wife and I will be traveling from Gunnison Colorado to Taos New Mexico later this month and I am looking at routes. For those of you that have traveled in that area, is it better to take Highway 50 east to Poncha Springs and then south on 285 toward Alamoso or take 114 to Saguache and then to Alamosa? Highway 50 seems like the logical way to go but you have to go over Monarch Pass. I've never been on 114 so I don't know what it is like. I am looking for suggestions.
    Highway 50 is going to be your best "back road" bet. Or going a little bit farther (okay, quite a bit farther), I-25 to Santa Fe and over, mostly freeway. If you have a subscription to RV Life, you can use the RV Trip Wizard and it will route you the best way with your rig.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50, 285, 64 will get you there OK. I seriously doubt you'd want to take 114.

We've been over Monarch pass. I don't recall anything special about it other than up-up-up and down-down-down. You just have to take it easy. Folks do it all the time.

Google would send you on 114. RV Trip Wizard would not allow it.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Highway 50 is going to be your best "back road" bet. Or going a little bit farther (okay, quite a bit farther), I-25 to Santa Fe and over, mostly freeway. If you have a subscription to RV Life, you can use the RV Trip Wizard and it will route you the best way with your rig.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Thanks MoonShadow. We are going to be in Santa Fe the week prior and will be heading back to Texas via Taos and I don't want to go back the way we came. I guess that I need to pony up the $50 and get a subscription to RV Life. For as inexpensive as it is, it's probably a good investment. I used a combination of RVParky and Mapquest to plan our trip. This will be our first long trip in our trailer. I am looking forward to it but a little nervous at the same time. I've pulled trailers since I was a kid growing up in Kansas but we don't have many hills there. I am trying to find the routes that will cause me the least amount of anxiety.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    50, 285, 64 will get you there OK. I seriously doubt you'd want to take 114.

We've been over Monarch pass. I don't recall anything special about it other than up-up-up and down-down-down. You just have to take it easy. Folks do it all the time.

Google would send you on 114. RV Trip Wizard would not allow it.
    Thanks Traveldwag. I've driven over Monarch Pass a few times in a car or motorcycle so I'm familiar with the up up up and down down down part. I've just never pulled a travel trailer over it so it gives me a little anxiety just thinking about it. By looking at the map, 114 looks pretty twisty but it's hard to tell if it's RV friendly and you are correct, Google did send me that direction. I think that I need to take a look at RV Trip Wizard.