User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceB View Post
    I think this is a great idea and a great business opportunity. I would have welcomed a class like this. When I bought my TT two years ago, I had never even camped, let alone tow a travel trailer. In fact, my first towing experience was leaving the dealer's lot. Needless to say, I didn't have a lot of confidence. I've learned a lot in my short time, but would still take a class like this if it was offered. I don't think I'm alone in this.
    Why don't the dealers offer something like this? It seems like it would be a natural fit for them. I know General RV offers RV seminars on a variety of topics, but I've never seen anything on "how to tow." I've also seen some interesting things on the road, being passed or following other campers. I also make note and hope I don't do some of the things I've seen.
    I’m sure the reason why dealers haven’t offered classes is that lawyers have nixed the idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    I’m sure the reason why dealers haven’t offered classes is that lawyers have nixed the idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting point, as I was excited to see that LazyDays in Tampa offers driver training course, but when I looked them up on Youtube, it appears they only let you drive through their camping area and parking lot. Maybe someone on here has taken the course and can chime in on if they go any where else besides their grounds.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Dont choose the 405 at rush hour, Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Ha Ha Ha......I have to do 75 miles each way on the 405 to take trailer back to Mike Thompson for service, warranty work.....with morning appointments I'm mixing it up with crazy commuters.....quite the teaching lesson traversing the two busiest intersections in the country.....405/101 & 405/10

Cal
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the "lawyers" is a key point for dealers. Also, some people think they know everything (really bothers those who do) and would never say I need training. The ones you will get for this training are smart enough to sign up and learn , and also the ones who probably need it less than the others. Having towed for more years than I want to admit, I would take a course just to learn a little more about the fifth wheel side. Knowing others who have towed a trailer behind there tractor in the yard and think they can do anything , they would benefit from it more but would never take the course.

Brian

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,
    I would certainly sign up for a class if it was hands on with my own trailer.

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cris:

First of all - THANK YOU for your part in making this forum so great.

Second - I thought that you, and maybe others, might enjoy the attached as you pursue the next chapter on your road trip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Travel Trailer testing in the UK - Page 1 of 3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	18525Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Travel Trailer testing in the UK - Page 2 of 3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	18526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Travel Trailer testing in the UK - Page 3 of 3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	18527
    2018 Reflection TT 315RLTS
    2014 F250 Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4
    50 gallon Titan fuel tank
    2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Oh Crud Jim, I think that was me! I'm just kidding. Glad you made it home safely.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    We followed a solitude for a few miles in Phoenix yesterday. The driver spent 90% of their time with the FW curb tires a foot in the adjoining lane. Other drivers were giving him a wide berth. This person needs your training badly.

Jim
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    As I ride off into the sunset in my webmaster career, and am exploring other options, one thing that keeps coming back is RV Driver training. Would any of you sign up for training that took the applicable Commercial Driving knowledge and transferred and interpreted it into RV Knowledge? Pre-trip, driving, weights, turns, emergency maneuvers, maintenance, etc. Practice at the range, some driving practice, feedback, drone footage, etc.

Would any of you be interested in something like this? What else would you like to see covered?
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris, I think its worth the effort exploring the idea, but being honest here, I'm not sure how successful it would be. A lot of it would depend on the cost and your target audience.

The dealerships really do a bad job instructing owners when they buy an RV. During the PDI they just usually give a quick walk around of the RV sub-systems to the new owners but don't really go too in depth on towing or hitching. Even if a new owner was to ask for specific training I'm not sure they would do it or if it would be accurate. Never had one really take the time and actually show me the hitching and unhitching part from beginning to end on a bumper pull or connecting the WDH or a 5th wheel. Even though I know how to do it, it would have been nice for them to go through it. They never touched on balancing the load or even mentioned tongue / pin weight. They are doing it for free so I guess you can't really expect much from them.

When we purchased the Solitude, before we actually signed the final papers, I was surprised the dealer even had us fill out and sign a document listing our TV specifications that we would be using to tow the Solitude. It listed Year, Make, Model and maximum towing specifications. However nothing about payload. They had not done this when we bought the Imagine from them. I suspect it was because our new Solitude is over 10,000# GVWR. They do it probably for liability reasons. Other dealerships may not even ask at all.

Me personally, would I take a training course in towing? Probably not. I don't consider myself an expert, I'm not a semi driver, but I've towed various lengths of trailers, 20-35 foot and backed up, turned and parked a lot of different trailers, RV's, my Fathers motor home, car trailers, boats. Surge brakes, electric brakes. Our new Solitude is by far the longest and heaviest I've ever towed at 37 foot and first 5th wheel. Its a little different because of the pivot point than a travel trailer. You just have to get to know the little quirks of what you are towing and that just takes practice doing it.

Even the Texas Class A Non-Commercial test, special requirements part, I mean who cares about how many lights a farm tractor has to have beginning in 1959? How many rear brake lights, reflectors and tail lights and what color are they? Didn't the manufacturer get it right when they built the trailer? Now the max lengths and widths of trailers allowed on Texas roads, ok maybe nice to know.
    Now the combinations test, that goes through hitching and unhitching a 5th wheel, connecting air brake glad hands, turning right and left, following distances and curb spacing, although all of it being related to semi's. The skills test, actual on the road testing, they just what to make sure you can turn it and back it up and use the mirrors, takes all of 30-40 minutes.

My wife on the other hand - yes - I would pay for her to take a course. She has never towed or backed much at all. Even when we had our 20 foot boat, backing down the ramp to launch, she had a problem using the mirrors. She tends to over correct backing and ends up all jack knifed. The she gets all frustrated, also its a confidence problem with her. She thinks she cant do it, so she gives up.

But the only way you get better is by doing it.

Just my .02
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,

Howard and Linda Payne of RV-Dreams.com and the Escapees RV Club both offer RV driver training during their educational rallies (RV-Dreams) or boot camps (Escapees). The training is done by independent contractors (as you would be) and is not always available at each event because the instructors (all retired truckers as far as I know) are not always available in that area at that time. You might consider contacting both of those organizations and see if they might want to establish a business relationship with you. We attended an RV-Dreams educational rally prior to going full-time and I know there were a number of people there who wanted the training because they had never driven anything bigger than a passenger car before. (Grammatically, that should be, "...was a number of people...," because number is singular. Never sounded right to me.)

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 03-21-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Correct "RV-Dreams"
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post
    Ha Ha Ha......I have to do 75 miles each way on the 405 to take trailer back to Mike Thompson for service, warranty work.....with morning appointments I'm mixing it up with crazy commuters.....quite the teaching lesson traversing the two busiest intersections in the country.....405/101 & 405/10

Cal
    Cal: Are you saying the California drivers are not courteous and mindful that you are towing a large trailer LOL LOL LOL ….. Don
    2018 Reflection TT 315RLTS
    2014 F250 Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4
    50 gallon Titan fuel tank
    2007 Shelby GT Mustang

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast