Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Flyhighone View Post
    Attachment 21860

I get strange looks all the time towing my 2400BH with the Diesel Audi Q7, however, I keep it below 6,600lbs, and was really surprised that it made up to Idyllwild’s 7,000’ elevation @ 95-degrees without issue. The 3.0 diesel mated with the 8-speed transmission Just do an excellent job. I’m averaging 13-14mpg down the highway @ 65mph.
    Welcome to the forum BTW. Sounds like a nice setup.
    Now back to the Thread, which I can’t believe I read the whole thing. Lol. I’m wait for the electric SD. Then we’ll have a real truck. Lol. For the mean time I’ll take my diesel over a gasser for all the heavy hauling.
    2018 F-350 6.7L diesel SRW CCSB Lariat with OEM rolling tonneau
    Pullrite Superglide OE Series #2914, Titan 55Gal Tank(midship)
    2018 Momentum 354 M-Class no mods yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just retired from a mid sized local government. I worked in the fleet shop. We have had over the years all the brands with diesel's and gas engines. The last couple years we were doing everything we could to buy gas motor trucks. The down time and repair bills are just crazy on modern day diesel. With many jobs costing over 10K to repair. A lot of the time the body needs to come off, that adds to the repair cost. Everything repair on a diesel will be more expensive. With that being said. My personal truck is a 2017 F250 with the 6.2 gas and 4:30 gears. It's rated to tow 15k. But if your towing around that weight or more you have to have a diesel. You really don't have a choice. Maybe the new 7.3L will bump up the tow rating to 18K.

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It all comes down to using the right tool for the job, in my opinion. The reason you see all of those big gasoline powered semi trucks out there is because of their superior cost of ownership, and their superior power and fuel economy.
    Oh wait, you don’t.

But that doesn’t mean that gas doesn’t have its place in the world. It does! When I towed under 10K, I did it with gas. If I was still towing under 10K, I would still have gas. I live in the Southwest, and climb a lot of mountains. Anything over 10K requires a diesel here, in my opinion.

It may be different for you. But as you put the stress of forced air induction on a gasoline engine, you shorten the longevity of it as well. The diesels have their issues right now. Mine is deleted because of all of the emissions related issues I have had with my ‘13 Ram. It has been frustrating at times. But I wouldn’t have changed it. I still have that truck, 6 years later with 120K miles on it. It still pulls really hard, even with 3.42 gears and 34” tires on it. It’s a beast. I wouldn’t consider going back to gas, only moving up to a HDT instead.

If you don’t want to own a diesel, that is okay. There are plenty of trailers that you can pull effectively with a gas truck. You should pick one of those, and use the right tool for the job.
    Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtaylor View Post
    I just retired from a mid sized local government. I worked in the fleet shop. We have had over the years all the brands with diesel's and gas engines. The last couple years we were doing everything we could to buy gas motor trucks. The down time and repair bills are just crazy on modern day diesel. With many jobs costing over 10K to repair. A lot of the time the body needs to come off, that adds to the repair cost. Everything repair on a diesel will be more expensive. With that being said. My personal truck is a 2017 F250 with the 6.2 gas and 4:30 gears. It's rated to tow 15k. But if your towing around that weight or more you have to have a diesel. You really don't have a choice. Maybe the new 7.3L will bump up the tow rating to 18K.
    Thanks for posting, and telling the truth about the cost of diesels in a fleet situation. Its exactly what I have been trying to tell people. Joe Blow buys a diesel pickup or two and doesn't have a problem so he thinks that they are all that way. They just don't know. I have been around diesel powered Caterpillar equipment since I was kid. those engines would run 30 to 35,000 hours. And in fleet service gasoline engines work better because of their dependability with all the different help & drivers getting behind the wheel. As far as semi diesels they are a bigger class of diesel engine & they seem to have much more dependability. Plus when a semi is running coast to coat he's not doing it for pleasure & fun. That semi is making the man a living. So when the engine wears out he can afford to rebuild it & keep making a living. Other words the engine is paying its way. Not so with many RV'rs. All its doing it costing you money.
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    It all comes down to using the right tool for the job, in my opinion. The reason you see all of those big gasoline powered semi trucks out there is because of their superior cost of ownership, and their superior power and fuel economy.
    Oh wait, you don’t.

But that doesn’t mean that gas doesn’t have its place in the world. It does! When I towed under 10K, I did it with gas. If I was still towing under 10K, I would still have gas. I live in the Southwest, and climb a lot of mountains. Anything over 10K requires a diesel here, in my opinion.

It may be different for you. But as you put the stress of forced air induction on a gasoline engine, you shorten the longevity of it as well. The diesels have their issues right now. Mine is deleted because of all of the emissions related issues I have had with my ‘13 Ram. It has been frustrating at times. But I wouldn’t have changed it. I still have that truck, 6 years later with 120K miles on it. It still pulls really hard, even with 3.42 gears and 34” tires on it. It’s a beast. I wouldn’t consider going back to gas, only moving up to a HDT instead.

If you don’t want to own a diesel, that is okay. There are plenty of trailers that you can pull effectively with a gas truck. You should pick one of those, and use the right tool for the job.
    Chris
    I prefer gasoline power myself but also used 10K as the limit for towing with gas. After several years of looking, I finally found a well taken care of, low mile 2006 LBZ Duramax with the Allison 6sp, pretty much a one year truck with minimal emissions equipment. I still own my 2004 1500 for driving daily and so almost every time I start the Duramax, it is always getting fully warmed up, 99% of the time pulling 18K. I believe that the problems that arise with diesels are with short trip, stop and go, grocery getting type of use. Many folks need to daily drive theirs and this kind of operation is what leads to EGR issues and frequent and incomplete regens on the newer trucks. I am fortunate to be able to only use mine when towing. I've only put 6K miles on it in a year and a half.

Duramax
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2412.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	21871

Daily Driver
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silvy.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	21872
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtaylor View Post
    DT,
    You hit the nail on the head. Here in NB, Canada it seems like all the fleet vehicles are going Gas and their leasing the Diesel rigs.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid the diesels may be going the same route as the old gas engine cars like dodges slant 6. When they had to start putting catalytic converters on them they lost power, gas milage and started having mechanical problems. Shortly after that they went away. Diesels will not go away but putting 3 or 4 hundred thousand trouble free miles on them may be a thing of the past.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I'm afraid the diesels may be going the same route as the old gas engine cars like dodges slant 6. When they had to start putting catalytic converters on them they lost power, gas mileage and started having mechanical problems. Shortly after that they went away. Diesels will not go away but putting 3 or 4 hundred thousand trouble free miles on them may be a thing of the past.
    I think were just seeing an adjustment period, the same as we did with gas engines. When they first started cracking down on gas emissions look what happened. big power losses, poor reliability, etc. Everyone said it was the end of sports/muscle cars, they would never be the same and look now. Unreal power that is reliable and efficient. Even the most powerful engines of the 60's & early 70's cant hold up to even a average sporty car engine today let alone something like the hellcat or demon.

They left diesels alone for quite awhile. But now were in that same early emission crack down. All while not only not losing, but actually gaining significant power. Most if not all the issues brought up are caused by emission related requirements. At some point the curve will start going the other way.

This whole argument can be boiled down to if you don't pull heavy then a gas engine may be better choice. They are, at the very least, cheaper to buy, fix, and maintain (not accounting for mileage). But if you prefer diesel then more power to you, its a free country.

If you pull heavy, well then there is no choice. Gas can't match the grunt of a diesel yet (and frankly never will). The new ford may be as close as it ever gets. we'll see. Remember all its power is at the top of the rev range, low end grunt is going to be relatively lacking. Electric will probably be the next realistic option someday. Some hybrid option with a combustion engine/generator feeding batteries/electric motors. Torque wouldn't be a problem then

There was a reason the big three dropped big blocks. My bet is Ford sees an opportunity with the diesel "problems" to capture some market share from the middle of the market where a diesel is not quite needed but the small blocks of today aren't enough, especially in the commercial fleet market. It is fords first pushrod v-8 in a real long time. More than likely cheaper and easier to build than the OHC engines they have been using

YMMV
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we can start a new trend and start a Bronco Hybrid and GD TT. Group

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    There is no doubt that the 2010+ diesels have issues. Most of those are negated if you use them for their purpose. But even in those cases, they have issues. So do all engines. You buy what you want, and hopefully go in with your eyes open. I remember when I was looking at a diesel 6 years ago. People were trying to dissuade me from buying one. They did so because of what they believed they knew. Many of them had never owned diesels before, but were telling me why I shouldn't! They had no clue. Now I do. I've owned both. I have driven Semi's. I know the benefits. Drive a gas engine revving to 5K pulling mountains. Then drive a diesel engine pulling the same load over the same engine. Stressed? No. You're not stressed. You're not worried about your engine blowing up. You're pulling the hill at 2K rpm, not 5K. Everything has a purpose. Gasoline engines are great, especially if you're not towing heavy, or over big mountain passes. BUT you're going to hear that engine revving like crazy.

My selfish advice is to buy a diesel that can be repaired anywhere, by pretty much any diesel mechanic. The Cummins 6.7 is similar in design to all of their engines. Every semi on the road runs a straight 6. That's by design. The engines are more simple, and more easy to work on. No one ever has to remove the cab of a Ram/Cummins to work on the engine. Every diesel mechanic knows Cummins. Many have never seen a Powerstroke 6.7. Some have seen the Duramax 6.6. No matter what you pick up, do it because it is what you want. Just go in with your eyes open. Gas trucks are great. I loved my Tundra. But for towing my 385, I wouldn't use anything else...except a dually. I'd use a dually.

I do believe the diesel issues will resolve themselves. The SCR and DEF issues maybe gone soon. The CP4 pump issues may be resolved with going with Denso. I am thrilled at the availability of 10 speed trannys now with diesel engines. That is wonderful, and severely overdue.
    Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast