User Tag List

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

It's only oxidation...how hard could it be?

LMAO! Wow! Okay, so my camper was starting to chalk out on one side - the side that faces the NM sun at 5K feet every day. I decided that I could take care of it myself. I'm a man's man, I have polished things...I was in the Navy! My vehicles are always waxed and shined. I've got this!

So I bought a Dual Action polisher, and some pads. I started working on the trailer and noticed that the Meguiars 49 was not doing what I needed it to do - cut through the oxidation. Hmmmmm. More power!!!

So I buy a polisher - both from Harbor Freight. Not a tool that I make my living with, so HF works just fine. I buy a real wool bonnet to Velcro on to it. Velcro again is the single greatest invention ever created. Wool bonnet cuts through crap. I love it. I go buy more. I'm on to something!

So I finish the trailer, and look at it, and its terrible! Swirl marks, holograms, icky. I think...Hmmmmmm. So I grab the DA polisher, and the Meguiars 50 cleaner wax. Start doing my 20x20" patches and working the polisher. That trailer is TALL!!! I wipe down the polish after working it. It's better, but not done. What am I missing?

I go back to the Meguiar's 49, and pull out container, and re read it. It is there that I see the mistake... Wipe immediately after applying. Oh, yes. I already knew that, but I didn't do it. Damn. Back out with the polisher with the wooly booly pad, the bottle of 49, and a clean towel. Presto!!! We have clean! No more swirl marks, and it looks like new. I had to clean the dried polish off, and the only way to do that was with the polisher. So I'll have to do it all over again, but that is fine.

Only lessons to pass on is to watch the polisher on the decals. I have a couple of spots that are "iffy". I'll have to figure out how to get that resolved.

Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geeze, this sounds like something I'd do. Glad it turned out OK. When you say this was your "camper", are you talking about your 2014 369RL?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Yes. It's only 40 feet. How hard would that be?
    hee hee hee.
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, I believe you are a glutton for punishment. You wore me out, reading your post. I had to find a couple adult beverages, sleep awhile before I could respond
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris - excellent post !........you did a wonderful job in justifying my costs for current and future inside storage.

If you can't get the decal issues resolved, I suspect all you will have to do is ask GDRV for new ones and you will have them faster than you can change "wooly booly" pads ! The efforts to change them out will be child's play for a man of your dedication and work ethic.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time try Bar Keepers Friend.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been going through the same "experience". Got it done finally. At least now just waxing the rig doesn't seem near as daunting a task as it used to.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Only lessons to pass on is to watch the polisher on the decals.
    Chris
    I learned to polish vehicles when I was 16, pretty sure it was enamel paint, buffed out nice and pretty. 35 years later I decide I am smart and can polish my fiberglass based 5th wheel. Needless to say I totally trashed it. It was never right after I "polished" it. Smarter now, I just wash it with mild soap.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully full body paint will eliminate some of these problems?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys . Just wanted to share. Have you ever looked into Ceramic Coating? We did our 2015 320X two years ago. Just brought it home to give it a bath. Looks like it just my case off of the showroom floor! Check out Bob Moses Ceramic in Phoenix. It is the best investment we have made since getting the trailer. Had the truck done about 8 months ago! So easy to clean and maintain. Just thought I’d give you an option. Good luck, Doug .