User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Great info poppy and Capt Jim. I've heard the Firestone bags are also good but this outfit installs Airlifts because they have an internal bumpstop in case the bag bursts or loses air it won't totally drop on the mount. Google shows some good info on them. I think I will probably add them and it won't take much to level it. I guess with 3800+ pounds pin weight plus spray liner plus 150 pound hitch and 100 pound tonneau cover it's getting pretty heavy back there!
    I have Airlifts with the internal bump-stop. But I'm not sure why. If the bag fails it isn't going to set the bed so far down that the Ford suspension won't take over. None-the-less, here I am - with them. My thinking is that I got them to help level out the truck. But I only need an inch or so of level at most. And I'm not sure I need that. I can't tell that they help or not with the load (RV, hitch, aux tank); I played with the air in them on the last trip and am no sure I noticed a difference with 10 pounds vs. 60 pounds. Tried them with no load on a recent trip and still not sure if the helped. But at least I can bring the truck up and inch or so (or more if I wanted) to maintain the pitch I want from back to front.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    I have an F350 dually diesel. My Air Lift bags provide the correct level for the truck (the lights are not pointing upwards), smooth out the ride and I would not tow without them. Clearly worth every penny I paid. Don't mess around with Timbrens (fancy bump stops) or other useless solutions - the only things that will level that truck out are airbags,
    So I tried your suggestion with the PVC pipe. I measured from the ground to the peak of the wheel well arch on the front and rear wells with the truck fully loaded (motorcycle in bed and camper attached). I chose this location as it is in line with the axles. On other note: the Blue Ox 2,000 WD hitch was attached at 10 links.

The difference between the front wheel well measurement loaded vs unloaded is only 1/2". In other words, fully loaded the front dropped 1/2". The rear dropped 2 3/4". That means I need to raise the rear up 2 1/4" to get it back level.

Will the airbags mentioned in this thread do that? Do the measurements make sense?
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Why the sway bar? Was the stock suspension that soft that your truck rolled too much while towing?

What convinced you to go with Hellwig over the Firestone and Air Lift?

Finally (hope I'm not asking too many questions!) but in your research was the ratings on the airbags consistent across brands? Seems like most with my size trailer went with 5000 lb bags while the max on the Hellwig is ~2,800. Was your choice intentional based on the GVWR of your 2800BH?
    Howard,

I got the Hellwig rear sway bar before we got our Imagine. Our F-150 has become the preferred vehicle for Joy to haul the kids in, since three child seats fit in the back seat of a full size SuperCrew easier than they do in the Explorer. I figured since she's going to drive the F-150 like it's a sports car then it might as well handle like one. Actually we knew we were planning on getting a new travel trailer that would be near the upper end of our F-150's capacity, and I figured that tightening the truck's roll stiffness would help it's towing stability as well. My reason for adding air springs after getting our Imagine was mainly just to stiffen up the F-150's rear suspension so that it wouldn't feel quite so "squishy" going over big bumps when towing; our F-150 doesn't squat too much in the rear because our Equal-i-zer hitch is adjusted such that the truck's steer axle maintains it's unloaded weight. So having the sway bar already installed and knowing that different air spring manufacturers used different mounting configurations (directly under the frame, brackets offset to the side of the frame, etc.), the decision to go with Hellwig for air springs was pretty easy once I realized that they have designed the sway bar and air spring mounting configurations to be compatible with each other. The air springs also come in handy when towing my small tractor (~4,500 lbs.) on a flatbed trailer. I think that Hellwig's 2,800 lbs. rating is the capacity per bag; other brands might be using 2 bags X 2,500 lbs. each to achieve the 5,000 lbs. total capacity.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    So I tried your suggestion with the PVC pipe. I measured from the ground to the peak of the wheel well arch on the front and rear wells with the truck fully loaded (motorcycle in bed and camper attached). I chose this location as it is in line with the axles. On other note: the Blue Ox 2,000 WD hitch was attached at 10 links.

The difference between the front wheel well measurement loaded vs unloaded is only 1/2". In other words, fully loaded the front dropped 1/2". The rear dropped 2 3/4". That means I need to raise the rear up 2 1/4" to get it back level.

Will the airbags mentioned in this thread do that? Do the measurements make sense?
    I don't measure the wheel wells. On a flat concrete pad, with the airbags deflated (10 lbs), I measure the left and right corners of the rear bumper (I use the top of my step bumper). That's where I put my line on the PVC pipe. When the truck is under load from the fiver, I inflate the airbags so that the bumper rises to the line. The trick is to do this on a level surface, so when I'm at a campground that has a very uneven pad, I'll pull the rig onto the campground roadway to inflate. By the way, after you've done this a few times, I suppose you can rely on air pressure readings, but I like the visual of the marked pipe.

Works every time - no angry oncoming cars flashing me their brights anymnore and perfect handling on the truck - literally indistinguishable with how she steers when not pulling.

Now - all of this said, I don't have a clue how this technique works with a TT vs a fiver.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the Timbrens and SuperSprings on the 015 F250... Hind site, I believe the Timbrens were all I needed. Level and very stable in all conditions. Saves on plumbing and compressors. Our rig is an 300GK 5th. It's not one of the heaver Solitudes. Also went with the Bilstien 5100's (I think 5100 is right) all the way around.... Jury still out on those. All in all, very happy with the TV performance
    Chuck & Cat
    2015 Ford 250 King Ranch
    2017 Solitude 300GK

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chuck, glad to hear all is well. Does your F-250 have a decent payload #, I'm thinking the real world pin weight of your Solitude would be around 3000 lb. The suspension improvements help driveability, but do not increase carrying capacity. Best to you!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2268.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	15771Thank you Steve. Yes, I am well aware of Sticker capacity.... I am also well aware of the ongoing debate (of which I have chosen to not involve my self with)... I will say that my combo rides great, Stops perfectly and does not bounce all over the road under bumpy conditions.... I have seen many DRW's trucking down the road that just look stressed while pulling their load..... I do keep in mind that the 15 F250's share brakes with the 350 and 450, Same power train, same frame as the 350 and mostly the same gearing. (though the 350 does offer more gearing choices as well as the 450 too)... With all this said. the 300GK is the heaviest i will ever pull with the 250... Next one up will be no less than a 450.... (Honestly, I believe 90% of the 350's out there pulling are probably "over capacity". If all were really under capacity, bags. springs or timbrens should never be needed). (IMHO) Stay safe and keep the round things down!! C
    Chuck & Cat
    2015 Ford 250 King Ranch
    2017 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metrofxr View Post

ID:	15771Thank you Steve. Yes, I am well aware of Sticker capacity.... I am also well aware of the ongoing debate (of which I have chosen to not involve my self with)... I will say that my combo rides great, Stops perfectly and does not bounce all over the road under bumpy conditions.... I have seen many DRW's trucking down the road that just look stressed while pulling their load..... I do keep in mind that the 15 F250's share brakes with the 350 and 450, Same power train, same frame as the 350 and mostly the same gearing. (though the 350 does offer more gearing choices as well as the 450 too)... With all this said. the 300GK is the heaviest i will ever pull with the 250... Next one up will be no less than a 450.... (Honestly, I believe 90% of the 350's out there pulling are probably "over capacity". If all were really under capacity, bags. springs or timbrens should never be needed). (IMHO) Stay safe and keep the round things down!! C
    Glad your F250 is working well for you, I loved mine. I'm in the business and offer a little friendly advice, research the F450 payloads VS F350 before you buy. I passed on a 2019 King Ranch F-450 because it had 4600LB payload versus my F350's 5300! The big draw on the 450 is the huge rear axle and bigger brakes so they are rated at higher trailer weight and gross combined weight. Most do NOT have a higher payload rating than a 350 dually. The 350 has a shocking amount of payload really, mine is not on the helper spring with over 4K in the bed. I want the bags to raise it back up an inch or two is all.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info and thanks for your input! I have heard that about the 450 capacity.... I'm not in the market yet as am happy with all... I will never overlook a well equipped F350! (or 250 for that matter
    Be well!
    C
    Chuck & Cat
    2015 Ford 250 King Ranch
    2017 Solitude 300GK

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metrofxr View Post

ID:	15771(Honestly, I believe 90% of the 350's out there pulling are probably "over capacity". If all were really under capacity, bags. springs or timbrens should never be needed). (IMHO) Stay safe and keep the round things down!! C
    A bold statement. However, folks like me are towing the equivalent of the Solitude 374TH (mine weighs 18,850 with a pin weight of 3,720 as weighed on a CAT scale) every day with their 350's? This very large coach is well within the towing specifications of my truck. In fact, I'm guessing most fivers towed by 350's on the road weigh less mine. My previous coach was far lighter and I towed that with the same truck (and it still required airbags to properly level it). Now, think about springs. Under a heavy load, they compress regardless of what they are rated at and they compress more as the load increases. When the truck is empty, the headlights are properly aimed according to vehicle specs. When the bed is loaded, the springs compress and the headlights will inevitably rises (the truck does NOT squat equally front and back), hence the usefulness of airbags to level the load. Of course there is also the major issue of steering control - lightening the front end reduces contact pressure and affects control. My point is that there is no way I can put a 3,700 lb load in my truck, even though well within specs, and not lower the back end.

Now for my "IMHO". I believe that most 350's are not "over capacity" and in fact the situation is just the opposite - but hey, who knows for sure? I am sure that most rigs that are squatting in the rear are not using airbags or other load compensating devices. Also, an improperly balanced coach probably contributes to that. I also observe that most rigs are in fact properly balanced and level, so your statement doesn't seem correct to me.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast