User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford F250

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right it's worth it if you are pulling over 12,000 pounds all the time. Nothing beats 1000 ft lbs of torque! The distance and terrain you travel in also is a consideration. Pulling in the mountains is much different than in the flat south or mid-west. However the price of new trucks has become profane! I had considered replacing my 05 Ram Cummins and went out to kick some tires. Most any respectable truck now will cost over $50k. I looked at a King Ranch dually diesel 4WD a few weeks ago that had an MSRP of nearly $90k! So the average person has to decide what they actually need with no overkill. The person starting this post is going to pull something under 10K lbs and has a pin weight of under 1500.....unloaded of course. They really don't need the added expense of a diesel to accomplish this. I would however pay a little more for an F250 over an F150 to get bigger brakes, suspension, etc. The 7.3 gas is getting rave reviews and should be looked at . Diesels get very complicated when they break down. Cab removal from the frame is a big turn off for me. I guess it all comes down to how deep your pockets are. What is nice and what is needed are not always the same.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently I pull a 5500 lb loaded travel trailer with a Ford Expedition that tow 9600 lbs. I typically drive 60 mph at 2500 rpm. I can go faster but with trailer sway it just does not feel safe. That engine has 90k miles on it, has pulled the RV has no major trouble pulling that weight. That is my only bench mark.

The F250 6.2L V8 - 4x2 160" WB 6-3/4' Box Gear ratio 4.30 can tow a maximum of 15,400 lbs. The GD 295RL trailer is ~8800 lbs. So tow weight is not crazy. According to Ford, the model we are looking at has a payload capacity is 2991 lbs with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. Ford recommends using the formula of 15% of weight of two for king pin weight. The GD 295rl has a hitch weight of 1391. After the RV is hooked up according to Ford and GD, Cargo Capacity remaining will be about 1600 lbs. (F250 2991 - 1391 (GD 295rl UVW1 RV King Pin Weight)). With all my family and the stuff we put in the trailer in the front of the axel, it is never 1600 lbs. So we will not exceed the capacity of the F250.

We looked at the diesel engine, but just do not not feel it is worth the extra $10k. I have seen comparisons of the F250 gas and diesel on youtube pulling 9k lbs and the gas mileage was not a significant difference. The diesel engine is heavier and will last longer, but does reduces the payload capacity of the 3/4 truck according to Ford. It is only a few hundred lbs, but it boost the tow up to 17,000 lbs. I just do not think I need a truck that can pull more than double what the RV weights. Especially if there is not a gas mileage difference. With diesel being more expensive than gas, that kinda killed the diesel engine for us.

Everything I have read says the 250 and 350 is only different based on some springs in the back suspension. My real worry is not can the vehicle gas handle it, but how is the ride? The Expedition can be a rough ride, I want something that my wife will be comfortable in... Any thoughts are welcome, the feedback has been helpful.
    Last edited by FreddieMac; 03-10-2020 at 07:36 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I did. I picked out the 5th wheel I wanted and then went and got the truck to fit. I currently have a F350 and a 32' 5th wheel. Problem is if you want a bigger trailer in the future than you may have to get a bigger truck. It's something to think about. I knew that going in so the F350 fit for me. I am however going to get a bigger 5th wheel this summer a 344 GK. That will be at the limits of my truck but that's it. It's just me and the wife so no kids. We don't camp so we don't take the grand kids. Lots to consider when dropping $100,000 on a RV and another $80,000 on a truck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    Here is what I did. I picked out the 5th wheel I wanted and then went and got the truck to fit. I currently have a F350 and a 32' 5th wheel. Problem is if you want a bigger trailer in the future than you may have to get a bigger truck. It's something to think about. I knew that going in so the F350 fit for me. I am however going to get a bigger 5th wheel this summer a 344 GK. That will be at the limits of my truck but that's it. It's just me and the wife so no kids. We don't camp so we don't take the grand kids. Lots to consider when dropping $100,000 on a RV and another $80,000 on a truck.
    Yes, that is exactly what we did. We went and selected the fifth wheel at an RV show. Now we are buying a truck to match that particular 5th. I am a bit away from retirement but we are buying this 5th for retirement. I know I will be buying other cars and trucks in the future and only need this to last 5 to 7 years. We want something with a bit more power than we currently have, but this 5th wheel will be our forever RV. She and I really never need the latest and greatest stuff. The TT experience and living in it full time during the flood a few years back taught us a lot. We selected this RV based on that experience.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
    According to Ford, the model we are looking at has a payload capacity is 2991 lbs
    The biggest limitation of a truck when towing 5th wheels is not the tow rating but the payload rating. I would recommend ignoring the published tow ratings as they are based on base model trucks (e.g. 2wd, single cab, stripped model). Instead, look at the ACTUAL payload sticker of the truck you are interested in. This sticker is located in the driver's door jamb.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @FreddieMac The typical pin weight for a 5th wheel is 22 - 25% of the trailer weight. The pin weight published by GD will be lower than the actual weight, it doesnt account for propane tanks, battery and obviously cargo or any water in the tanks. As far as tow vehicle weights, dont go by published numbers on those either, they are for base models stripped down. Best bet is to goto a dealership and look at the trucks weight stickers (axle capacities, loading information, gvwr, etc.. ) and then make an informed decision. There are numerous people who buy a 3/4 ton truck thinking they can pull "anything" which, sure they could, but is it really the safest option, probably not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    The biggest limitation of a truck when towing 5th wheels is not the tow rating but the payload rating. I would recommend ignoring the published tow ratings as they are based on base model trucks (e.g. 2wd, single cab, stripped model). Instead, look at the ACTUAL payload sticker of the truck you are interested in. This sticker is located in the driver's door jamb.
    FYI, I do not think these are for a base, regular cab, etc. Ford has a really good towing guide. All the capacities are broken down based on type of towing (traditional or 5th wheel/Goosneck), engine, gear ratio, and type of body (Regular, Supercab and crew cab). https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...tyPU_Oct15.pdf

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
    FYI, I do not think these are for a base, regular cab, etc. Ford has a really good towing guide. All the capacities are broken down based on type of towing (traditional or 5th wheel/Goosneck), engine, gear ratio, and type of body (Regular, Supercab and crew cab). https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...tyPU_Oct15.pdf
    OK, don't say I didn't warn you :-)
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I have been told by current owners of the 6.2 Ford gas you will see an improvement in non towing MPG with a 7.3 because the 10 speed automatic is not available with a 6.2 and it is with the 7.3. This engine puts out enough torque to utilize the 8th, 9th and 10th gears (all considered to be overdrive). Everyone is different. Their travel itineraries are different. We always find a campground close (100 mile radius) to what we want to see and visit. Then driving without the 5th wheel we "run the roads" until we see or do everything. Then we hitch up and move to somewhere else a few days later. We travel a lot in Colorado. So a tow vehicle capable of pulling our trailer over steep grades then giving us respectable mpg to run around is a prime objective. My old Cummins is perfect for this because we get 11/12 towing our Reflection 27RL and then get 20+ mpg site seeing. Newer diesels cannot match this because of EPA emissions devices. If I were to replace my tow vehicle right now I would strongly consider an F250 with the 7.3. According to some youtubes I have watched, the trip computer shows non towing mpg on the 7.3 to be 15-16 mpg without pushing hard on the speed. A current diesel will not get more than 3-4 mpg more than that at a cost of an additional $8k. Driving over 65/70 reduces mpg at a non linear rate due to the air you are pushing and it's like this on all vehicles. zTwo vehicles ago, we had an F250 with the 7.5 (460) and it got 9/10 mpg practically everyday.....towing and non towing! Once I ran a 90 mile stretch of Interstate in the eary morning fog at 40 mph not towing anything. I had topped the tank before getting on the Interstate. I noticed once I arrived at the lake the fuel gauge had not moved much. I have driven this route many times through the years and pretty much knew what it took in fuel. So after exiting the Interstate I topped the tank again to do a hand calculation on my mpg because it had to be more than I had ever seen. To my amazement it was over 14 mpg!! However driving at 40 mph is boring and will get you run over on the Interstates, unless there is heavy fog. I don't recommend it! These youtube videos I'm referring to states that their speed is 70+mph. If they would drive 55/60 in one of those higher gears it would probably be more than the claimed 15/16.
    Last edited by Likes to tow; 03-10-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    OK, don't say I didn't warn you :-)
    I hear ya, but we will probably have to order the truck we want because I doubt we will find it on the yard. I can only trust the guides. You see, I live in redneckville, there is not a ford truck on two lots I have walked that are not jacked up, with 4x4, and more chrome than a 57 chevy.... Most of the "trucks" I see on lots are status symbols, not trucks built to work. Kinda like the end of the Cars movie when the old Willies jeep is trying to get all those chromed out, jacked up vehicles off road.
    Last edited by FreddieMac; 03-10-2020 at 09:15 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast