User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
    More important to me is how do you get reception with a fixed mount. Not always facing southern sky? Usually in wooded area.
    Bill there are models - like the one I have that automatically lock onto the satellites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More important to me is how do you get reception with a fixed mount. Not always facing southern sky? Usually in wooded area.
    Most of the dome-style antennas - the ones most discussed in this thread - have the ability to orient their internal dish to capture the satellite signals, as @mageorge said.

However they will not do that when their line-of-sight view of the satellite is obstructed by trees, a close-by building or RV, or pretty much anything else. They need a clear line-of-sight view of the sky, usually the southern sky and in the U.S. usually about (I forget, please correct) 30 degrees or so above the southern horizon.

If you're usually in a wooded area, chances are that satellite is not for you unless you can get your antenna well up into a tree to give it the clear view it needs. If the tree moves much during windy conditions your signal will suffer.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These domes antennas will try to locate a constellation when you tell the receiver where you are (asks state and which constellation if both are visible). Then it will rotate and tilt to aim at that constellation. So it doesn't matter which way your vehicle faces. HOWEVER, if their view is obstructed (trees, mountains, etc) you won't get a signal, same as in a stick house.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't, that's why we are mounting on the ladder so we can remove if necessary when we're parking in spots with trees...I've been able to find reception at most spots but every now and again you'll be in a spot where there is just no way to get reception.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Most of the dome-style antennas - the ones most discussed in this thread - have the ability to orient their internal dish to capture the satellite signals, as @mageorge said.

However they will not do that when their line-of-sight view of the satellite is obstructed by trees, a close-by building or RV, or pretty much anything else. They need a clear line-of-sight view of the sky, usually the southern sky and in the U.S. usually about (I forget, please correct) 30 degrees or so above the southern horizon.

If you're usually in a wooded area, chances are that satellite is not for you unless you can get your antenna well up into a tree to give it the clear view it needs. If the tree moves much during windy conditions your signal will suffer.
    Yes, thanks. I have the Wingard dome. Thought maybe you hasd something special that enabled you to dut thru the clutter and trees.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123