User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can look that up. I was a hd truck mechanic for lots of years and when we first started using DEF we were told by our supplier that drivers should not keep it for long periods as there is a shelf life. Sorry thats all I remember. I’ve been retired for 5 years now.......don’t know if things have changed. I do know DEF has been used in europe for years.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the folks at PEAK, "when stored under optimal conditions — between 12°F and 86°F — DEF has a shelf life of up to two years. If stored in warmer temperatures, shelf life decreases." https://www.peakhd.com/lifeblood/flu...contamination/
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to date boxed Blue DEf

If you buy Blue Def in your local Walmart or auto supply store here is how to date it.

It will have a stamped code on the side of the box which reads something like this: GA21 331 1068
    GA = the designator of the plant that manufactured the DEF
    21 = the year of the manufacture date plus 1, so this DEF was made in 2020.
    331 = start with 365 days in a year. Subtract 331 from 365 = 34. So this DEF was made on the 34th day of the year or Feb.3
    1068 = batch code

I've heard that DEF is good for about 1 year (unverified).
    Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1315.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	25656

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donblaz View Post
    You do know there is a shelf life on DEF right?
    Good way to sell more DEF
    . Water doesn't have an expiration date. Urea fertilizer in liquid form can be stored for years. So water + urea is good for years
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    . Water doesn't have an expiration date. Urea fertilizer in liquid form can be stored for years. So water + urea is good for years
    The problem with this "Stored for years" idea is that the containers this stuff is sold in is not completely Air Tight and the Urea begins to crystallize when stored, and, crystallized DEF is a really, really, bad thing for your Diesel Engine.

The best thing for your Diesel truck is the freshest DEF you can find. If you do buy jugs of DEF don't keep them longer than 6 months without using them, this stuff has really poor shelf life for automotive applications.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
    Shopping is crazy .... we have supplies because we stock for hurricane season and use it up over spring /summer .... I needed some DEF so stopped at Walmart there were only 6 on the shelf ... usually plenty in 2 places one shelf was empty the other had the 6 .... it is going to be long few months ... later Frank
    I just read this earlier while my wife was in a Sam's Club, so I asked her to check and see if they had any DEF. A couple minutes later, I got a Yes, $12.00 you want 1 or 2? I was below half so I opted for one 2-1/2 gallon case.
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend with a 2016 Dodge (Cummins). He regularly kept his DEF tank topped off. Eventually had problems. Found out that the DEF in his tank had gone bad. $600 later he was good to go. Needless to say he doesn't do that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shelf Life of DEF
    It will degrade over time, but if stored at temps between 10 degrees and 90 degrees, DEF has an expected shelf life of one year. You can extend the shelf life to two years by storing at a temperature that stays around 75 degrees.... I normally do not buy ahead ... but have couple of 2 1/2 during this dark cloud ... mine are in garage which has a/c kept at about 77 ... if I wait until light comes on I can put in 5 gallons .... best way to keep it fresh here in Fl ... summers are hot .... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got burned at wallyworld yesterday. Lesson learned. Beside checking date on DEF, remove cap and check to see if seal is broken. There are human scum that refill jug with water and return for refund.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12