User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bonehead move today

So was going to get the 5er ready for a jaunt this week and hooked the truck up and pulled It out of the shed to back it up to my house and plug it in. It’s much easier to load and prep it at the house as opposed to taking everything down to the shed. Anyway evidently I didn’t completely loosen one of the JT Strong Arms. When I went to raise it to drop it off I heard a pop. The strong arms are just that...strong. Where they are attached to the front of the front storage area it pulled the storage bottom down about two inches. I about puked. There was a gap between the metal “floor” and the frame you could stick your hand through in the center. I studied it, prayed about it, and decided to jack the camper back up and put a piece of 6x6 under the center of the bend and carefully lowered back down. Then I took some self tapping screws and screwed them in from the inside of the bay into the front of the frame. Worked like a charm. Lesson of the day is to double check the strong arms.
    "Never give up, Never slow down, Never grow old, Never ever die young"
    (James Taylor)

2019 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Skippy View Post
    So was going to get the 5er ready for a jaunt this week and hooked the truck up and pulled It out of the shed to back it up to my house and plug it in. It’s much easier to load and prep it at the house as opposed to taking everything down to the shed. Anyway evidently I didn’t completely loosen one of the JT Strong Arms. When I went to raise it to drop it off I heard a pop. The strong arms are just that...strong. Where they are attached to the front of the front storage area it pulled the storage bottom down about two inches. I about puked. There was a gap between the metal “floor” and the frame you could stick your hand through in the center. I studied it, prayed about it, and decided to jack the camper back up and put a piece of 6x6 under the center of the bend and carefully lowered back down. Then I took some self tapping screws and screwed them in from the inside of the bay into the front of the frame. Worked like a charm. Lesson of the day is to double check the strong arms.
    No fear, we did something similar. I used a jack to put it back in place then got a 2” angle iron 4-6’ long put it inside and drilled holes and reattached the JTs good as new for 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the Steadyfast system and I have the same fear! I put warning stickers (they came with the system) over the door of the compartment where the leveling control is, and another sticker right next to the leveling control. It doesn't mean I'll actually pay attention though!

2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad part is that I have developed an extensive departure and setup checklist but since I was at my house I basically did it by memory. Never again!
    "Never give up, Never slow down, Never grow old, Never ever die young"
    (James Taylor)

2019 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the same thing to ours the same way. That floor was only attached by glue. We got some industrial type glue to glue it back in with some clamps first. That sealed it back up, then we put screws in across the whole back. Not been a problem since. I do try to make sure to loosen the strong arms first but I have to admit there has been a couple of times of having to stop quickly after starting to retract the levelers. Kind of one of those out of sight out of mind.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 08-17-2020 at 07:25 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad part is that I have developed an extensive departure and setup checklist but since I was at my house I basically did it by memory. Never again!
    Yeah checklists are good!
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Yeah checklists are good!
    If they are followed. Many aircraft had lost a battle with gravity due to the failure to follow a checklist.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guilty as charged.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We almost did the same thing a couple years back. As we found the JT system really didn’t provide much more stability, and as we’d almost did the same thing, we just made sure we took the screws completely out of the system...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bonehead move today

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are jt strong arms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 31mb
    2020 Ford F350 Lariat SRW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast