User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has responded over the past four days. There are to many to thank individually. There has been a lot of great info from everyone. I think I have decided to go with the F350 XLT with the 7.3L.engine SRW. The diesels are just to pricey for my blood. The only major add on will be the premium XLT package, spray in bed liner, the 9900 lb package, Ford fifth wheel kit, and the tailgate assist step. I'm thinking of the 3.73 axle but the 4.30 is still in mind. I know nothing about fifth wheel hitches but the Anderson sounds like a good option. I don't want the dealer selling me what he wants to sell. I'm pretty much sold on the 337 RLS but the DW has an Artic Fox in mind. It is a beautiful trailer but the nearest dealer to us is 136 miles away. The dealer my 297RSTS came from is near 100 miles away and is too far for as many times as I have had to haul the trailer there. Anything else I need from the Ford dealer other than the puck system. Once again Thanks for everyone's input. We are in Texas until Early April so nothing will happen until after we get home.
    FYI- if you are going to use an Anderson hitch, you need a goose neck hitch in the truck, not a fifth wheel kit from the factory. If you go to Ford.com and select super duty trucks, you can search the inventory within 100 miles of whatever zip code you put in. Searchable by cab, bed length, motor, color, etc. When you find one you like, follow the link to the dealer's website to see the advertised price. Watch dealer fees- in FL they vary from zero to well over $1K
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    FYI- if you are going to use an Anderson hitch, you need a goose neck hitch in the truck, not a fifth wheel kit from the factory. If you go to Ford.com and select super duty trucks, you can search the inventory within 100 miles of whatever zip code you put in. Searchable by cab, bed length, motor, color, etc. When you find one you like, follow the link to the dealer's website to see the advertised price. Watch dealer fees- in FL they vary from zero to well over $1K
    Thanks for the info BigSwick.You saying the under bed kit is not necessary and just the Gooseneck hitch kit. This is all new to me since I have only done conventional towing.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info BigSwick.You saying the under bed kit is not necessary and just the Gooseneck hitch kit. This is all new to me since I have only done conventional towing.
    No No No. the Ford optional gooseneck kit is only 2 pucks and a ball.

The Ford factory “5th wheel prep kit” includes the under-bed kit with 4 locations to attach pucks and a center location to attach a ball. At $500 MSRP for the option it’s a deal. To install it later runs about $1,000 parts and labor. The goose ball kit that Ford sells as option is a canvas bag with 2 pucks and a Goose Ball. The Reese goose ball kit is less expensive and fits the Ford bed holes. The Reese kit includes 2 pucks to attach safety chains and one goose ball.

Here’s the Reese kit that fits the Ford OEM 5th wheel prep kit https://www.amazon.com/Reese-30137-E...dp/B004R33U1C/
    Last edited by Jerryr; 02-25-2021 at 08:26 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    No No No. the Ford optional gooseneck kit is only 2 pucks and a ball.

The Ford factory “5th wheel prep kit” includes the under-bed kit with 4 locations to attach pucks and a center location to attach a ball. At $500 MSRP for the option it’s a deal. To install it later runs about $1,000 parts and labor. The goose ball kit that Ford sells as option is a canvas bag with 2 pucks and a Goose Ball. The Reese goose ball kit is less expensive and fits the Ford bed holes. The Reese kit includes 2 pucks to attach safety chains and one goose ball.

Here’s the Reese kit that fits the Ford OEM 5th wheel prep kit https://www.amazon.com/Reese-30137-E...dp/B004R33U1C/
    Thanks Jerryr for the info. This is all new to me and I want to get it right the first time.
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with
    I may go look at the new 7.3l Ford and check the payload. I saw one new with everything I would want for less than a used diesel with 40000or 50000 miles on it.
    I don't know how you guys with gas get in and out of gas stations pulling a big 5th wheel. With my diesel I just go where the 18 wheelers go and use my EFS card.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    I don't know how you guys with gas get in and out of gas stations pulling a big 5th wheel. With my diesel I just go where the 18 wheelers go and use my EFS card.
    Other than my tractors I haven’t had a diesel vehicle in quite a while, but I used to get a lot of strange looks when I pulled up to the diesel pumps in my VW rabbit and got all of 10 gals.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that most truck stops, Walmart, Sams club can be gotten into if you just wait for a pump on the end. I don't have a fifth wheel yet but a 34 ft. trailer.
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gdjlrv View Post
    I have a 2020 350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel long bed SRW and the cargo capacity is 4,541 lbs.
    The following is information for forum members, especially those with a 2020 F-350 6.7 diesel Super Duty truck. About one year ago, I purchased a 2020 F350 Platinum 6.7 Diesel LB SRW. The labeled Payload capacity is 4,561pounds. Big payload capacity for a SRW. I specifically purchased this Ford over a Chevy 3500 I had on order that had a Payload capacity just under 3,800 pounds. Yesterday I learned Ford issued a recall to update the truck labeling that “overstates” Payload and GVWR. I called Ford Customer Assistance and my dealership and could not find out the impact to my truck’s Payload/GVWR. Basically Ford told me I would have to wait until I received my notice the week of April 6th. If the impact is substantial, I’m not sure what my next steps might be. There’s a longer backstory on the Chevy I had on order and how I ended up with Ford F-350 but it does not matter here. Below is a portion of Ford’s recall notice:

“Safety recall for select 2020 Ford F-Series Super Duty vehicles with 6.7-liter engines for labels with incorrect payload information
    Affected vehicles display overstated payload capacity values on the tire and loading information label, overstated accessory reserve capacity values on the safety certification label, and overstated weight values on the truck camper loading documentation. If the vehicles are loaded to the payload stated on the tire and loading information label, they may exceed the gross vehicle weight rating or gross axle weight rating. This may result in tire loading beyond rated capacity, suspension overload and increased stopping distance, which could increase the risk of a crash.

This action affects 9,979 2020 Ford F-Series Super Duty vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories and 1,750 in Canada. They were built at Kentucky Truck Plant from May 13, 2019 to, Sept. 19, 2020.”
    Bruce & Whitney
    2020 Reflection 337RLS, 16” Goodyear Endurance Tires, Combo Washer/Dryer (vented), Progressive EMS
    2020 Ford F-350 Super Duty Platinum SRW 4x4 CC LB 12,400 GVWR 4561 Payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bparrowhead View Post
    The following is information for forum members, especially those with a 2020 F-350 6.7 diesel Super Duty truck. About one year ago, I purchased a 2020 F350 Platinum 6.7 Diesel LB SRW. The labeled Payload capacity is 4,561pounds. Big payload capacity for a SRW. I specifically purchased this Ford over a Chevy 3500 I had on order that had a Payload capacity just under 3,800 pounds. Yesterday I learned Ford issued a recall to update the truck labeling that “overstates” Payload and GVWR. I called Ford Customer Assistance and my dealership and could not find out the impact to my truck’s Payload/GVWR. Basically Ford told me I would have to wait until I received my notice the week of April 6th. If the impact is substantial, I’m not sure what my next steps might be. There’s a longer backstory on the Chevy I had on order and how I ended up with Ford F-350 but it does not matter here. Below is a portion of Ford’s recall notice:

“Safety recall for select 2020 Ford F-Series Super Duty vehicles with 6.7-liter engines for labels with incorrect payload information
    Affected vehicles display overstated payload capacity values on the tire and loading information label, overstated accessory reserve capacity values on the safety certification label, and overstated weight values on the truck camper loading documentation. If the vehicles are loaded to the payload stated on the tire and loading information label, they may exceed the gross vehicle weight rating or gross axle weight rating. This may result in tire loading beyond rated capacity, suspension overload and increased stopping distance, which could increase the risk of a crash.

This action affects 9,979 2020 Ford F-Series Super Duty vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories and 1,750 in Canada. They were built at Kentucky Truck Plant from May 13, 2019 to, Sept. 19, 2020.”
    I am reading that as the payload number they put is wrong (math problems), or the scale they used was off by some amount, and if you actually used the payload number they have on the sticker, you may exceed the GVWR or axle ratings. I don't see anything in that info saying the 12,400 weight is wrong, or the axle rating on the sticker is either. Go to a CAT scale and put her on it, than you will know what your payload is, and you can see what, if any impact there is. The scale number you do is what your payload has always been, even before this recall since the GVWR and axle ratings are correct.

Heck, if I used my sticker payload, I would be 250 lbs. over GVWR.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 02-26-2021 at 03:39 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I am reading that as the payload number they put is wrong (math problems), or the scale they used was off by some amount, not the actual GVWR or axle ratings. A simple way to find out what your payload is, is on a CAT scale and see. I don't see anything in that info saying the 12,400 weight is wrong.
    I would guess a glitch in the software. It will probably end up right around where the Chevy was. They are all 12200-12400 now and the truck weights are fairly close also.

I would still be pissed if bought one based on that sticker!
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast