User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tires (again)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tires (again)

I was just on the GD website to look at the current prices, and my 2600RB increased by about $8000. What I found interesting is that Good Year tires are now listed as MANDATORY, with a $391 upcharge. I would have gladly paid this upcharge, but it was not an option when I purchased in November 2020. I guess GD finally made an intelligent decision based on the many complaints about the "other" tires. Whether there is really a problem or not, they have responded positively. 'nuff said.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    I was just on the GD website to look at the current prices, and my 2600RB increased by about $8000. What I found interesting is that Good Year tires are now listed as MANDATORY, with a $391 upcharge. I would have gladly paid this upcharge, but it was not an option when I purchased in November 2020. I guess GD finally made an intelligent decision based on the many complaints about the "other" tires. Whether there is really a problem or not, they have responded positively. 'nuff said.
    Is that why they did it?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing how much your camper list price increased since 2020 model. Goodyear Endurance tires would very well be worth the upcharge price; cost me lot more than that to switch to Goodyear Endurance last December after blowout with China Bombs. Be interesting to see when school starts back in September how many campers will be up for sale; that is if school year is like it was a few years ago before Covid - 19. That is if we get through Covid - 19 and things return somewhat near to normal.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up my 2970RL yesterday and it came with the Goodyears. They are nice to have but really if it came the Westlakes I wouldn't change them out until they needed to be.
    2018 F-150 Supercab 3.5, 3.55, Max tow, 1936# payload
    2022 Imagine 2970RL

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abartleman View Post
    I just picked up my 2970RL yesterday and it came with the Goodyears. They are nice to have but really if it came the Westlakes I wouldn't change them out until they needed to be.
    Some of us have the ability to not drink the koolaid

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    I agree. Our replacement trailer is currently being built and it will have the GY endurance tires.
    Has nothing to do with koolaide.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the rules of the forum should be amended - no politics, no religion, and no tires.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Myself and my camping buddy both had blowouts with China Bombs and we replaced with Goodyear Endurance tires. Mine was Westlake and his was another brand of tires made in China. We both said we would never use a tires made in China again - except maybe a wheel barrow tire, we both had damage to our campers. We both always checked tire pressure before every trip. If that's drinking Kool aide; give me some more.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Failure rates of recently made Chinese tires seem fairly low. On the other hand, the 87 mph speed rating of the GY Endurance vs 75 mph for my stock Westlakes confirm the GY is a more robust tire. I’m the first to admit anecdotal accounts don’t trump statistics, but they can sure nudge one to act.

In April I helped my buddy change a two year old Castle Rock after a blowout on a cool spring day. His tires were properly inflated, nowhere near overloaded, and we were following him at 61 mph (his standard towing speed) when the sidewall blew out without warning. His TPS was useless in this catastrophic failure, but the huge bang told him everything he needed to know. Fortunately there was no damage as there was enough shoulder to pull over immediately. This tire was obviously defective. There were 3 radial tears across the sidewalls and right through the bead! We each visited Discount Tire for upgrades to Goodyear Endurance within two weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D6756AA3-8B1A-4549-BD8A-31C9E3D4CF5F.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1,017.7 KB 
ID:	35138
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never understood the "Mandatory" part of an option. Why don't all manufactures just add the cost in and list them as standard features? I see it both ways when looking at different brands feature lists.
    It's like quality and RV in the same sentence.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast