User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water heater won't ignite when on battery.

We have a 2020 imagine 2500rl. The power in our campsite went out so I tried to use the water heater on gas. It would not ignite. The "fault" light on our control panel was also lit. I tried to turn the gas switch for the water heater off and then back on. Same thing it clicked a few times then the fault light came on. I waited a few minutes did the same thing again with the same result. All other propane appliances were working normally. The refrigerator, the stove, etc.

When the power at the campsite came back on I again tried to run the water heater on propane. It ignited immediately.

What would cause this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    --
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hampal View Post
    We have a 2020 imagine 2500rl. The power in our campsite went out so I tried to use the water heater on gas. It would not ignite. The "fault" light on our control panel was also lit. I tried to turn the gas switch for the water heater off and then back on. Same thing it clicked a few times then the fault light came on. I waited a few minutes did the same thing again with the same result. All other propane appliances were working normally. The refrigerator, the stove, etc.

When the power at the campsite came back on I again tried to run the water heater on propane. It ignited immediately.

What would cause this?

It sounds like a control board failure. Have you checked the fuses on the control board? I have an Atwood GC6AA-10E 6 gallon water heater that is famous for bad control boards so I carry an extra made by Dinosaur Electronics.

http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/index.htm
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2282 View Post
    It sounds like a control board failure. Have you checked the fuses on the control board? I have an Atwood GC6AA-10E 6 gallon water heater that is famous for bad control boards so I carry an extra made by Dinosaur Electronics.

http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/index.htm
    The UIB64 is likely the board you need. I played around with the OEM one for quite some time. Replaced it with the UIB64 and problem solved.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hampal View Post

What would cause this?

I would check the battery voltage when shore power is disconnected. Sounds like low voltage.
    2020 Chevy Crew Cab RST
    2020 Transend 30RBS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. There was a 2nd problem a day or so later that may be related. The propane stove also would not ignite and I found a strange workaround for both problems. If I switched the refrigerator (which is on the opposite side of the TT if it matters) over to gas, both the stove and water heater would ignite. Does this sound like a propane pressure regulator that's gone bad? If its bad I'm not sure why one appliance would work but 2 others wouldn't.

I know there is a recall on the pressure regulators used on my TT and I am scheduled to drop it off tonight to have it replaced. Do you think that will fix the problem?
    --
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hum that's odd. It doesn't sound like a regulator issue. So if the fridge is not on gas the other appliance do not receive gas? Did I read that right? Try closing your propane valves on the the tanks and then opening them slowly. This is a long shot. Also, check under your slide where your fridge is to see if there a kink in the lp line.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I find that air gets into the gas line and has to be purged. I usually turn the range on, use a piezo lighting stick and hold it next to a burner as I turn the burner on and hold it down until I get a good flame. Then I turn on the other 3 burners until I am sure gas is flowing again.

This happens sometimes after replacing one of the propane tanks after a refill or if we haven't used the range in a long time.

The next time the water heater does that go outside and have someone inside turn it on. Listen for the gas solenoid valve to click, the ignitor to spark and see what happens. If it's intermittent I'd suspect gas flow before I replaced the control board if all else looks/sounds OK.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar issue with the hot H2O heater in my 2019 Solitude. Periodically the propane will not ignite when the igniter fires. Seems as at the last spark it will ignite and blows itself out. Fault light comes on the panel. Once you cycle the on/off switch it will try to light again. 50/50 chance it will light or blow its self out again. Any thoughts??

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a thermal fuse that comes off the control board. You can do a quick test of the control module by taking off the thermal fuse and connecting the lead from the control board directly to the plug that you removed the T Fuse from. If it's a bad control board the water heater will not ignite. If it ignites, the T fuse is junk. Make sure you turn off the water heater before you do this.
    Both my board and Tfuse went junk on our first camping trip with our 4 day old Imagine.
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    I have owned 5 Bumper Pull
    Trailers and a Tent Trailer in the last 40 years.
    We love Boondocking
    Tow vehicle 2014 F150 EcoBoost.
    Theater Seats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a concern that came up today. Ran out of LP Gas from both 30-lb tanks, should've planned better, and decided to get one refilled due to the time factor. Re-installed it back into compartment, tightened on connector hose, opened valve slowly listening for leaks - none noted. Went inside to get range and oven re-lit, knew the line had filled with cold air and would need to be purged, but couldn't get gas flow to these devices after many lighting attempts. Sure it may take a few more attempts to purge out lines but any tips here??? Follow up...tried purging again this a.m. and finally got gas flowing. Just took a little longer due to the cold air. Thanks to all.
    Last edited by LBT4RVLife; 10-23-2021 at 07:27 AM.