User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    When the trailer is home are those cameras still accessible to you?

I have a home camera system and it would be nice to add trailer cameras to the home system when the trailer is at home.
    Great question....

It is absolutely possible. A bit more setup (and there is an assumption about the network/networks that they are connected to).

There are a couple of setup scenarios that come to mind, with interoperability between manufacturers being the only "real" deployment friction point.
    Bobby and Jessica
    2022 Reflection 311BHS "The Farmhouse"
    2012 F350 CC/CM Flatbed/7k bags "Johnny"
    Cats x 2 (Rosco the Rascal and Vinny Da Cat)
    Aussie Cattle Dog "BlueBell"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbygreenwell View Post
    Great question....

It is absolutely possible. A bit more setup (and there is an assumption about the network/networks that they are connected to).

There are a couple of setup scenarios that come to mind, with interoperability between manufacturers being the only "real" deployment friction point.
    You do have to be careful connecting ip cameras to a home network for security reasons. I use a NVR for my home cameras and it can be connected to my homes guest network, separate from the primary network. Many reports our there on certain surveillance camera manufactures with nefarious intentions to collect/steal data from home/business networks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Corky2 Completely agree. Unfortunately, it is not just IP cameras that are a security vulnerability....
    Bobby and Jessica

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbygreenwell View Post
    @Corky2 Completely agree. Unfortunately, it is not just IP cameras that are a security vulnerability....
    Yep ... I agree! I try my best to protect my privacy.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    You do have to be careful connecting ip cameras to a home network for security reasons. I use a NVR for my home cameras and it can be connected to my homes guest network, separate from the primary network. Many reports our there on certain surveillance camera manufactures with nefarious intentions to collect/steal data from home/business networks.
    I run my NVR on my home network but my cameras are on a sub-network behind the NVR. Like ya'll I have a lot of concern about hackers getting into my cameras. I have absolutely no concern about anybody watching video of my backyard (doubt they would find it entertaining), but I am highly concerned about someone using my cameras as bots in a botnet spewing out spam.

The biggest problem in IP camera security seems to be the way remote viewing is set up. Most is accomplished with router port forwarding. But, if you can remotely access your network this way, so can anyone else.

I set up a simple tunnel VPN using an Asus router, and feel very safe as all data going both ways is encrypted.

Interesting to see these cameras being effectively used in RV's.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I run my NVR on my home network but my cameras are on a sub-network behind the NVR. Like ya'll I have a lot of concern about hackers getting into my cameras. I have absolutely no concern about anybody watching video of my backyard (doubt they would find it entertaining), but I am highly concerned about someone using my cameras as bots in a botnet spewing out spam.

The biggest problem in IP camera security seems to be the way remote viewing is set up. Most is accomplished with router port forwarding. But, if you can remotely access your network this way, so can anyone else.

I set up a simple tunnel VPN using an Asus router, and feel very safe as all data going both ways is encrypted.

I have Asus products also and I'm a little concerned if China takes control over Taiwan. Might have to prevent system updates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post

Sounds like you have a solution that works well for you.

I wasn't sure how these were going to work (even though there are several videos on YT where they are being used in RV specific applications), but decided it was worth a few bucks to give them a run (so much so that I just bought a few more).

One of the tests that I ran was with them connected "wide-open" and running packet analysis on any spurious traffic phoning home. I have had experiences in the past where even the non-Chinese chipsets were sending traffic in the background.

Other than normal LAN traffic, I did not see anything that caught my attention, even though that is not how they will be employed normally. That is not saying there isn't something I didn't see (which by now I think we all agree that is where technical layers come in), but I was pleasantly surprised.
    Bobby and Jessica

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How far away from a router is your trailer.
    Tim and Nora
    2021 Reflection 315 RLTS
    2021 Silverado HD 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabnab View Post
    How far away from a router is your trailer.
    Router is in the rig (Pepwave series) with as minimal interference in setup location as possible.

I have an application to do frequency survey(s), but that is mainly to check the congestion on the 2.4ghz band (this camera is not dual-band), but really haven't tested "range" from access point to end point, yet.

That is absolutely not a bad idea, though.....Rig is 36.5 ft, so there should theoretically never be a distance limitation), but it wouldn't be terrible information to have available.
    Bobby and Jessica

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of some form of security like this, but what's the use of putting a monitor in the rig itself?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast