User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing vehicle 17MKE

Hello, Can I tow a 17MKE with a Land Rover Defender. The Defender will tow 7716 pounds and has a tongue weight of 770 pounds. My husband has a F150 but I would like to do an occasional solo trip and prefer a SUV. Look forward to hearing from you.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not likely within specs but I am sure it will tow it

I would but ymmv

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Cayenne S works very well with those same (2) specs. Tongue weight is easily managed by watching your load distribution, since the 17MKE is designed with low tongue weight. You don’t list your GVWR, which could be your limiting factor, especially if you’re traveling with more than two people. Your husband’s F150 might have a similar GVWR, depending on how each is equipped. So you’re in the ballpark, but it depends on your specific vehicle ratings and traveling style.
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A simple and precise way to know what you really have to work with is to take both your F150 and your Rover to a Cat scale. Weigh each fully fueled with both you and your husband sitting in them. Subtract this weight from the GVWR and the difference is how much you can add in terms of tongue weight, WDH, cargo, dogs, and other passengers (in addition to the two of you). This will help you compare the two as potential towing vehicles.
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkayak View Post
    A simple and precise way to know what you really have to work with is to take both your F150 and your Rover to a Cat scale. Weigh each fully fueled with both you and your husband sitting in them. Subtract this weight from the GVWR and the difference is how much you can add in terms of tongue weight, WDH, cargo, dogs, and other passengers (in addition to the two of you). This will help you compare the two as potential towing vehicles.
    Just put a deposit down on our 2022 17MKE and I understand exactly what you're going through. I have a Mercedes GLE350 that is much more comfortable than my husband's 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 but I'm still crunching the (towing) numbers. Here's a YouTube video that I LOVE...and it's helping...but for some reason I can't seem to easily wrap my female mind around it. Hope it helps you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIhRJe1O5eY

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitsma View Post
    Hello, Can I tow a 17MKE with a Land Rover Defender. The Defender will tow 7716 pounds and has a tongue weight of 770 pounds. My husband has a F150 but I would like to do an occasional solo trip and prefer a SUV. Look forward to hearing from you.
    Just put a deposit down on our 2022 17MKE and I understand exactly what you're going through. I have a Mercedes GLE350 that is much more comfortable than my husband's 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 but I'm still crunching the (towing) numbers. Here's a YouTube video that I LOVE...and it's helping...but for some reason I can't seem to easily wrap my female mind around it. Hope it helps you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIhRJe1O5eY