User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    LOL, same just didn't mention it! Used it once so far, and heading out again in a few weeks. The only worry is the extender does not have the screwdown, hold it in place pin. Were you able to find an extender that has that on it?
    It does wiggle some, so I'll have to keep a close eye on the bolts for wear and stress.

What I did to try to mitigate wiggle is 2x split washers and one of those lock nuts with the plastic/teflon center. As I said, will be keeping a close eye on it.
    I haven't installed the extender, yet, but I ordered a hitch stabilizer with it (big U-bolt, plate with lip, etc.). I'll probably install it tomorrow after we move to an electric-only site for the holiday weekend.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    LOL, same just didn't mention it! Used it once so far, and heading out again in a few weeks. The only worry is the extender does not have the screwdown, hold it in place pin. Were you able to find an extender that has that on it?
    It does wiggle some, so I'll have to keep a close eye on the bolts for wear and stress.

What I did to try to mitigate wiggle is 2x split washers and one of those lock nuts with the plastic/teflon center. As I said, will be keeping a close eye on it.
    Here’s the answer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BPRDRJ9...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkayak View Post
    That's exactly what I ordered.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered, thanks guys!
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^Those work very well. Been using them 2 years.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkayak View Post
    OK... just installed my extender with the stabilizer. I'll have to say I'm not super impressed with the stabilizer. I can still move the bike rack some and I'm concerned that with the weight of the bikes on it, there will be more movement. I've ordered the Curt anti-rattle pin/bolt with the nut that goes on the inside of the shaft (from eTrailer). We'll see if it makes it to the kids' house before we leave the Cincinnati area Sunday.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have used the Stromberg Carlson 2 Bike Carrier ladder mount rack with no issues at all on our Imagine XLS.
    Paula & Mike *Retired and Loving It!
    Former Michiganders, now in Englewood, FL
    Imagine XLS 22RBE * GMC Yukon Denali
    Lenny the Wonderdog * 2 Bikes * 2 Kayaks

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    OK... just installed my extender with the stabilizer. I'll have to say I'm not super impressed with the stabilizer. I can still move the bike rack some and I'm concerned that with the weight of the bikes on it, there will be more movement. I've ordered the Curt anti-rattle pin/bolt with the nut that goes on the inside of the shaft (from eTrailer). We'll see if it makes it to the kids' house before we leave the Cincinnati area Sunday.

Rob
    I find the Thule’s stock bolt removes all side-to-side and most vertical slop. Adding the anti-rattle clamp finishes the job by holding it very firmly vertically, but I doubt it would do much side-to-side on its own. You probably need both. In addition you want your bikes clamped so firmly to the rack that they feel like they’re all one piece.

I watch my bikes in the mirror when the rack is on the Jeep and the camera on the trailer. It’s very solid.
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it has been mentioned before in this thread, but I added a class III hitch to the back of my Momentum a few months back. The mounting points for it is two pieces of 4" steel channel that is welded to the main frame (12" H beam) and runs from inside to inside of the main frame. So I've been following this thread and started looking for a very heavy duty 2 bike carrier. Did I mention that we just bought two Aventon Aventure 4" fat tire E-bikes too. Mine weighs about 65 lbs without the removeable battery and hers will come in about 50 lbs without the battery, so I was looking for a hitch capable of about 70 lbs each for two bikes. I came across the Hyperax Volt RV rated hitch and that is what I pulled the trigger on. Here is a link to it on Amazon....should be here next week, along with a 2 bike travel cover and a hitch clamp/stabilizer.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see these Swagman models mentioned much because everybody seems to be focused on the platform type racks vs. the hanging racks. The Swagman 3-bike and 4-bike Original models are solid and are approved the rear of an RV. We bought the 4-bike model, even though we only transport two e-bikes weighing about 50 pounds each. The 4-bike model has the least amount of bolted together parts and is rock solid tubular steel. We use a top-bar spanner for each bike then bungee cords to keep the bikes from swaying or bumping each other. We also use the anti-rattle hitch assist that is mentioned above.

I did not like the hardware that was provided to secure the hitch to the receiver. So I went to our local Ace Hardware and found a longer bolt that threaded all the way through the nut welded to the inside of the hitch and stuck out the other side of the hitch. So I run the longer bolt through the interior nut then use a second nut with a lock washer on the outside of the hitch to further lock down the hitch inside the receiver. This way the set bolt will never be able to wiggle loose from road vibration. That set-up plus the anti-rattle device make the hitch very stable.

In addition to lower cost for the hitch, I like the sleekness of the hanging hitch vs. the platform hitches. When we put the RV into storage, I can take the Swagman off and store it in my garage leaning against a wall. The narrow profile takes up very little space compared to the bulky platform hitches.

The main drawaback is the bit of extra work required to load the heavy bikes. You have to fully pick up the entire bike and rest the spanner on the rack vs. the two-step loading (front wheel followed by rear wheel) that many use for the platform racks.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...9651_200369651
    https://www.google.com/search?q=swag...s%2C111&sr=8-6
    2017 Reflection 29 RS
    2003 F350 Supercab V10 Longbed
    Pullrite Superlite (like Anderson)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast