User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New go-to roof cleaner

I found this cleaner in the RV section at Walmart called "Miracle Mist" and it seems to live up to the name. Couldn't find hardly any info about it on the forums, but seems to have plenty of happy reviews from walmart. Previously I've used spray n forget rv cleaner, which was awful, dawn which did more, but still left half the job undone, and simple green, which is my go-to for the outside of the camper, but does marginally better than dawn at cleaning the roof. Has anyone else used Miracle Mist? The front section of my roof was bright white before I even got halfway down the roof spraying it. I don't know how to put pictures in my post, but check out the difference here:
    http://imgur.com/a/YLEtfFj
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 240RL, Powerhorse 2300i x2
    11/02 Dodge Ram 3500, 4X4, QC/LB, DRW, ISB250/460, NV5600, 3.73, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80R17 Curt A16 rail mount

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, removing enough material that your roof is now "bright white" may not necessarily be a good thing. I don't know that I've ever seen any evidence that bright white roofs
    are better protected than roofs that still have all their material. Personally I don't see the need, but that's just me.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how a white roof keeps the water out better than a discolored roof. I follow the manufacturers recommendation for cleaning and am good with the results.

Not sure what is in the product you found but I would question if it is safe for the TPO.

You may want to get ahold of the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for the product. It should give you some idea of what base chemical it contains.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those products are made literally across from where I previously had membrane production in Cartersville, GA. You do not want to be using either the clear or the mold/mildew remover on TPO. The degreasers in the formulation will strip key elements of the additive package for TPO that protect the membrane from degradation, and the uber thin RV TPO versus my commercial product already uses the least amount they can get away with. Further, the mold/mildew contains bleach, the lowest buck, most effective fungicide but also brutally corrosive.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    FWIW, removing enough material that your roof is now "bright white" may not necessarily be a good thing. I don't know that I've ever seen any evidence that bright white roofs
    are better protected than roofs that still have all their material. Personally I don't see the need, but that's just me.
    No material removed, just spray it on, let it sit a few minutes, and wash off. Unlike Lippert's own reccomendation of a brass wire brush....
    It is not a matter of protection, as algae and mildew won't degrade EPDM, but being a mid profile 5er, the front 1/4 of the roof is plainly visible from the front, and it's unsightly when dirty. Left long enough and dirt/algae become permanent stains.

Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    I'm not sure how a white roof keeps the water out better than a discolored roof. I follow the manufacturers recommendation for cleaning and am good with the results.

Not sure what is in the product you found but I would question if it is safe for the TPO.

You may want to get ahold of the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for the product. It should give you some idea of what base chemical it contains.
    I have the Alpha Systems roof which is EPDM. Miracle Mist lists sodium hypochlorite (bleach) 1-10% and sodium percarbonate (oxyclean) 1-10%, as well as a proprietary detergent. I can find just as many people who swear off bleach of any sort on rubber roofs as I can find people who swear by it when diluted properly and rinsed thoroughly (important when using bleach on anything). From everything I can find, so long as the cleaner is non abrasive and contains no petroleum products, it's fine for EPDM.

Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Those products are made literally across from where I previously had membrane production in Cartersville, GA. You do not want to be using either the clear or the mold/mildew remover on TPO. The degreasers in the formulation will strip key elements of the additive package for TPO that protect the membrane from degradation, and the uber thin RV TPO versus my commercial product already uses the least amount they can get away with. Further, the mold/mildew contains bleach, the lowest buck, most effective fungicide but also brutally corrosive.
    My roof is EPDM, not TPO. I am confused as to what exactly you say will damage my roof. Is it the bleach, or detergent? Sure bleach is caustic (only acids are corrosive), but that only applies to bodily tissue and metals. Being that it didn't cause any skin irritation after an hour, I'd say its diluted to safe levels as well. After I finished, there was no slimy bleach residue left behind, and the only bleach odor was on my hands. I'd say the detergents did their job. What's your point again?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the EDPM roof too. The following is off the dicor website.

" CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric-based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof and/or may void your warranty. Use caution when working on top of your vehicle. The wet membrane may be extremely slippery."

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frenchy, I will assume from your Avatar your no stranger to corrosion, for me it’s not so much the use of properly diluted bleach, it is the potential for formation of corrosion on the fasteners that attach the membrane to the roof.
    Yes I have used bleach on both types of membranes only as a spot treatment.

The folks that store there RV’s outside or full time are probably getting more damage from the UV rays than the use of a bleach based product.

[I]”Unlike Lippert's own reccomendation of a brass wire brush....” glad I missed that in the instructions.

To answer your question, I have not used Miracle Mist I may have looked at but in the end I’ll stick with an RV specific formulated product. Sorry but I have to give a shout out to Gabe’s Pride RV cleaning products. The Streaker Remover product works great for roof cleaning and it passed the Love Bug remover test all in one product.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    . Sorry but I have to give a shout out to Gabe’s Pride RV cleaning products. The Streaker Remover product works great for roof cleaning and it passed the Love Bug remover test all in one product.
    I'll 2nd Gabes pride. Not only is it a great product from a family business . They are honest, good people and GD design owners to boot !
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    I found this cleaner in the RV section at Walmart called "Miracle Mist" and it seems to live up to the name. Couldn't find hardly any info about it on the forums, but seems to have plenty of happy reviews from walmart. Previously I've used spray n forget rv cleaner, which was awful, dawn which did more, but still left half the job undone, and simple green, which is my go-to for the outside of the camper, but does marginally better than dawn at cleaning the roof. Has anyone else used Miracle Mist? The front section of my roof was bright white before I even got halfway down the roof spraying it. I don't know how to put pictures in my post, but check out the difference here:
    http://imgur.com/a/YLEtfFj
    That is a pretty good review. Just used simple green on mine, and with a lot of scrubbing (which you have to be really careful about) it came out decent. I will definitely give this miracle mist a try next time! Thank you for posting!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    Frenchy, I will assume from your Avatar your no stranger to corrosion, for me it’s not so much the use of properly diluted bleach, it is the potential for formation of corrosion on the fasteners that attach the membrane to the roof.
    Yes I have used bleach on both types of membranes only as a spot treatment.

The folks that store there RV’s outside or full time are probably getting more damage from the UV rays than the use of a bleach based product.

[I]”Unlike Lippert's own reccomendation of a brass wire brush....” glad I missed that in the instructions.

To answer your question, I have not used Miracle Mist I may have looked at but in the end I’ll stick with an RV specific formulated product. Sorry but I have to give a shout out to Gabe’s Pride RV cleaning products. The Streaker Remover product works great for roof cleaning and it passed the Love Bug remover test all in one product.

Love bugs are the worst!