User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Does anybody send their torque wrenches in to be calibrated? After a year or two..or five?
    Only when I worked on aircraft did I have torque wrench calibrated. FAA required annual calibration.

Aircraft Oil filters were torqued to 18-20 ft-lbs and spark plugs 25-30 or 30-35 depending on engine manufacture.

Working on RV the only time I use a torque wrench is on my Andersen hitch, wheel lug bolts and the AC hold down bolts. I still have my 1/4” torque wrench that I used working on fighter and bomber aircraft in the 60’s.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 10-02-2021 at 08:40 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody send their torque wrenches in to be calibrated? After a year or two..or five?
    You can check your calibration at home with some weights, a precise scale, a calculator, a bolt and nut torqued together, a box wrench, a tape measure, and string. You use the precise scale to weigh something like a 5-10 lb weight (I use weights from our home gym but any object will do). We have a cheap but very accurate digital kitchen scale.

Rig your wrench in a vise parallel to the ground, padding the handle of course. Put the socket on the wrench, insert the bolt/nut into the socket, put a box wrench on the nut, hang the weight from the other end of the box wrench, measure the distance from the centers of the ends of your box wrench, and you’re ready to test. You can set the clicker to various torques, gently lift and apply the weight until it just clicks, then compare your torque wrench setting to the actual torque (box wrench length x weight). The last time I did it I used a lag bolt torqued into a pine block, which let me vary the moment arm until it clicks. You want the arm (board or box wrench) to be much lighter than the weight. For extra credit, weigh the arm and include it in your calculations.

This doesn’t calibrate anything but it does confirm your calibration is still OK. Mine have always checked out OK, providing peace of mind for work on delicate things like bikes and motorcycles. Lug nuts are more forgiving of course. It’s also a good winter exercise for teaching kids about torque in a very hands on manner. Get your geek on!
    Last edited by dkayak; 10-02-2021 at 09:11 AM.
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most torque wrenches advertise an error rate of 3%. Unless you are putting heads on racing engines, that should put you within tolerances for anything you would be doing related to tires and wheels. Getting 120lbs of pressure in a trailer tire just ain't rocket science.

I even read some torque wrench review and it was found that the HF versions were as if not more accurate that some of the high $$$ ones that were tested.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked because I snapped a wheel stud once last year and the first thing the service guy asked was 'when was the last time you had your torque wrench calibrated?'. To which, I said, well, never, it's two years old.
    He said the garage sends them in for calibration every 6 months. Just wondered if everybody calibrated these wrenches annually or something.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Wow, no sales here - $89.95
    Home Depot Black Friday 2021 sale, Husky 250 ft-lb, 1/2" torque wrench, $49.99 free shipping...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiver5201 View Post
    Home Depot Black Friday 2021 sale, Husky 250 ft-lb, 1/2" torque wrench, $49.99 free shipping...
    TY very much. Just ordered one!!
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    TY very much. Just ordered one!!
    HAHAHA received 4 pairs of Milwaukee vice grips and a very large Milwaukee pipe wrench.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a CDI Snap-on torque wrench. Its expensive but accurate. Do too much of my own service (engine, trans, suspension, etc) on all my toys to trust anything else.

To me its not so much the torque wrench for these trailers as it is getting good quality lug nuts. No torque wrench is going to save you if you cant get on the lug...
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got the Husky back in June at Home Depot for the $49.95, check with the store as 4 local stores showed it in stock but none on shelve. Responses from 1 store was they ( 8 showed in stock) were probably shop lifted.
    Tom & Ellen McHugh
    Weldon Spring MO

2021 F350 Crewcab SB 7.3 gas
    GD 150 RD260

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12