User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses, very helpful!

I'm still on the "do I really need it" fence but the rear-view while driving in heavy traffic for lane changes seems to be a big factor.

Looking at several brands and the reviews I didn't see anything that stood out until I read a older thread here where one person said my next camera will be a VisionWorks which got me looking at it. The interesting thing about VisionWorks is it's a AG company that makes cameras for commercial AG equipment which is a very harsh environment. Not long ago I was looking for a rear-view spotter camera for my tractor (example: for stump grinder) and could not find a market for it. A VisionWorks AG camera is exactly what I needed but never found it at the time I was looking. Very impressive specs and I like that it's made in USA.
    Regarding the Vision Works camera. I have an F150 with 22' MLE (this is not a long distance configuration). I thought based on reviews and spending what I felt was a lot of $$ on a camera, I would have a very reliable system. Well, it's awesome when you are sitting still. Here's my thought; maybe for a tractor moving at 2 mph, it's awesome and that why the AG industry loves this setup? But at 65mph on the freeway this thing is choppy, freezes, loses the signal so the monitor goes black for a second, re-establishes signal, comes back on, then freezes, etc., etc., etc.,.

I would say it's a very expensive "better than nothing" solution, but for the money, save it. I did contact Techno RV (where I purchased it) to find out if there is anything to be done (such as a repeater antenna or something). They quickly responded to let me know they would get in touch with Vision Works and I would get a call from them directly. That was 10 days ago. I plan to reach out directly to VW but have been traveling and haven't taken the time yet. I really wish this was a great system, but it just isn't. After having a motorhome with a wired system, I'm convinced that's the only good solution. I haven't seen any reviews of a wireless system that would make me want to put $400 out again - ever. Not after being convinced this was going to be the answer.

Take from that what you will.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    You may also want to look at Tadi Brothers. They got their start in the trucking industry. If it will work on a semi it should work on an RV. I was heavily leaning towards their equipment when looking before I decided I did not need one. I believe the reviews also gave them high marks for US based customer service.
    Tadi Brothers does make a Furion adapter for their rear backup camera. I have a Tadi Brothers rear camera setup on my 5er. I am able to use a LockPick interface to view extra mounted camera locations (i.e. bed for hitch, tailgate for original, Furion mount for Tadi Brothers) on my factory sync radio with navigation screen using Ford factory steering wheel controls. It can switch between all camera views, including any optional side or front cameras, on my Nav screen while driving.

A problem that I discovered with the Tadi Brothers system was with the connection between the camera and its supplied extender antenna. Unless 12v power is always applied to both, the pairing between the camera and extender would need to be completed over again. Pairing requires access to both the camera (in furion mount on trailer) and extender, which is a PIA IMO.

Talked with Tadi Brothers about this problem, and they never would addressed it to make it work. Basically stated that a constant camera-to-trailer 12v power was required to maintain the pairing. Unless willing to keep a constant 12v power source from RV to the camera, I would not recommend the Tadi Brothers setup. I do however recommend the Lockpick interface, its a great way to view multiple camera locations using the Ford factory Sync nav radio.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased and installed the Furion observation camera (because of the pre-installed mount). I agree with what's been said... nice to have, especially in traffic! Just adds to your comfortable level while in multi lane traffic. DW is still the primary guide for backing in and the camera is great when I lose her in the mirrors!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and I forgot, I have had no issues with buffering or freezing on our 2950rl (~34'). Color gets strange in bright sun and street lights will drive.you a little crazy at night... just seeing flashes out of the corner of your eye

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Regarding the Vision Works camera. I have an F150 with 22' MLE (this is not a long distance configuration). I thought based on reviews and spending what I felt was a lot of $$ on a camera, I would have a very reliable system. Well, it's awesome when you are sitting still. Here's my thought; maybe for a tractor moving at 2 mph, it's awesome and that why the AG industry loves this setup? But at 65mph on the freeway this thing is choppy, freezes, loses the signal so the monitor goes black for a second, re-establishes signal, comes back on, then freezes, etc., etc., etc.,.

I would say it's a very expensive "better than nothing" solution, but for the money, save it. I did contact Techno RV (where I purchased it) to find out if there is anything to be done (such as a repeater antenna or something). They quickly responded to let me know they would get in touch with Vision Works and I would get a call from them directly. That was 10 days ago. I plan to reach out directly to VW but have been traveling and haven't taken the time yet. I really wish this was a great system, but it just isn't. After having a motorhome with a wired system, I'm convinced that's the only good solution. I haven't seen any reviews of a wireless system that would make me want to put $400 out again - ever. Not after being convinced this was going to be the answer.

Take from that what you will.
    Thanks for the reply! Could you post again after you hear from Vision Works. Do you think it's possible that the problem might be specific to your system? I ask because most reviews don't mention this issue and it sounds like it's a problem that would be talked about in reviews.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my Douxury IP69 camera system started buffering badly, we found one (or both?) of the antennae on the monitor had come loose in handling. Checking to be sure they’re both screwed in tight fixed it. It does a good job for just $140. They even provide a free SD card upon request, so it records a continuous loop.

I did have to do a little soldering since the provided plug didn’t match, but I prefer a solid connection. Their bracket fits the base but I removed the Furrion wing and carefully caulked the hole the wiring passes through, with the solder joint inside the wall. So I spent a little less money but did a little more installation work and it works well, but am not sure it’s a vital feature. It’s just “nice to have” on the road as a center mirror.
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We have one (a Furrion), but to add to what others have said, it's not that useful. My wife is an excellent spotter and we use two-way radios while backing into a site. She gets me situated much better than I could do it with the camera. The camera is somewhat useful for double-checking when to pull back over after passing a semi or something...Rob
    I agree with Rob, except I would get the Furrion camera again. It's not as useful as the 12" screen in our truck, but it does help with situational awareness while traveling, especially in traffic. I agree with the other posts that say the Furrion camera is overpriced. However, ours has worked flawlessly.

Happy camping.
    Dave
    2022 Imagine 2670MK - ProPride - TV Ram 1500
    2018 Isata-3 24FW - Toad 2019 Wrangler 2.0 Turbo
    2015 Tiffin Allegro 36LA - Toad 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
    2011 Spree 323RLS, 2007 Zeppelin 281- TV Armada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Could you post again after you hear from Vision Works. Do you think it's possible that the problem might be specific to your system? I ask because most reviews don't mention this issue and it sounds like it's a problem that would be talked about in reviews.
    Will do. I hope it is an issue with my system and not common. I didn't see anything in the reviews or any videos I watched, but of course they show the installation and not what it looks like tooling down the road. Just returned home today and plan to try calling tomorrow...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkayak View Post
    When my Douxury IP69 camera system started buffering badly, we found one (or both?) of the antennae on the monitor had come loose in handling. Checking to be sure they’re both screwed in tight fixed it. It does a good job for just $140. They even provide a free SD card upon request, so it records a continuous loop.

I did have to do a little soldering since the provided plug didn’t match, but I prefer a solid connection. Their bracket fits the base but I removed the Furrion wing and carefully caulked the hole the wiring passes through, with the solder joint inside the wall. So I spent a little less money but did a little more installation work and it works well, but am not sure it’s a vital feature. It’s just “nice to have” on the road as a center mirror.
    Thanks. I have checked the antennas, wiring, and settings. I don't know of anything else I can do with it. Hopefully, VW will have some advice.
    Chad

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Will do. I hope it is an issue with my system and not common. I didn't see anything in the reviews or any videos I watched, but of course they show the installation and not what it looks like tooling down the road. Just returned home today and plan to try calling tomorrow...
    Thanks!
    I had an interesting conversation with my dealership salesman regarding getting a back-up/observation camera. They sell the Furrion cameras but he told me more than half his customers don't get a camera. He said he has a Furrion camera but suggested I wait and see how trailering goes without a camera first. He had not heard of VisionWorks but said people do report problems with various brands, especially on the road at highway speeds.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast