User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the fans off the control board! I bought a cheap thermostat and just Y'ed the 12V wire ahead of the control board to "hotwire" the fans to the battery. When a fan dies, and it WILL, Norcold uses the cheapest 12V fans on the planet, it will take out the fuse, and you will then quickly lose a fridge worth of food. Insane design, there's no reason for a bad fan to stop the fridge!

Also, if you're going in to do one fan, do them all. Get Noctua fans to replace them, about 20 bucks each, rated for some obscene amount of hours between failures. I've had them in various computer for 10+ years, probably close to 10 fans across all my systems, running 24X7, and still have not had one even act up (get noisy). They are fantastic fans. Get the ones that IP67 rating, that way any water that gets in there won't cause you any problems.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkbch View Post
    I called Grand Design who called me to get in touch with the dealership who told me to bring in the RV in a month. I didn’t want to wait so I ended up buying two new fans and installing them in the upper vent.
    Which fans did you buy and was it much of a challenge to change them out? I currently only have one fan on the top section but it does not seem to keep the freezer cold enough and so am thinking that putting in two fans on top might help.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    Which fans did you buy and was it much of a challenge to change them out? I currently only have one fan on the top section but it does not seem to keep the freezer cold enough and so am thinking that putting in two fans on top might help.
    I added fans to the upper section to move more air, they are zip tied to the grate. I haven't been into the replace the fans on the back, but, I'll be using similar fans to these (which is what I used on the top grate):

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-PWM-NF.../dp/B00KFCR0PQ

Those are the best of the best; IP67 rated, tons of CFMs, and huge MTBF. I have Noctua fans that are 10 years old, haven't been off for a minute since I installed them and still quiet and smooth. They are truly the gold standard in 12V fans.

Note, all the IP67 fans are 4 wire fans. You have to cut off the connector and tie two of the wires together to make them work correctly without computer control (tells them to run full speed all the time).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    I installed these fans. I like that they light up, which allows me to know if they are working or not. I did not remove the broken fans as it was hard to reach them, I just unplugged them.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkbch View Post
    I installed these fans. I like that they light up, which allows me to know if they are working or not. I did not remove the broken fans as it was hard to reach them, I just unplugged them.
    The specs say this fans are 11.4"x10"... Where did you find room to mount these and how many did you install? Any pictures?
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold 2118 fridge won't turn on

@IBEW Sparky ; I attached two fans directly on the upper vent cover. Unfortunately I didn’t take pictures. The install was similar to this video.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123