User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a convection microwave, plenty of terrific meals can be made with minimal time. Prepare the dish beforehand and then cook as soon as you stop. Electric skillets are great too. My wife and I enjoy stir-fry and so many options for quick, healthy meals or even breakfast for dinner or gourmet grilled cheese. Of course this assumes you have inverter or generator power while in the lot. If not, a nice selection of meats and cheese for a charcuterie with some fruit and veggies and a hummus or dip require nothing but a fridge. A nice egg salad, chicken salad, or seafood salad makes for good options too.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJoSo View Post
    Great idea. My luck, I'd start a grease fire in my trucks engine compartment.
    I've heard of this but never seen it done. Something to consider for burgers maybe.
    Yea... I too was skeptical the first time I heard about it on the trail while offroading. But if you can imagine being in a Jeep all day driving over high degree off camber obstacles on 4+ (out of 5 rated) trails for 3 to 4 hours, and then being able to see and taste the results... it certainly made us believers.

The key is to ensure you fold the tin foil wrap edges unto to itself (on all open sides) to form a tight seal and secure it in a location on top of the engine on or near the intake manifold. We use this method even more so now that we pull a 30+' trailer and have to sometimes stop at highway rest stops along the way with no power.

BTW, this same method is great for firepit or campfire cooking as well. Because of the direct flame and greater heat of a firepit or campfire, cook times are greatly reduced. We do this too and just pay more attention to the process to ensure not over cooking.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaV View Post
    Hi Guys, I know this is a silly question but we are going on the big trip next month, I am just curious to know what do you guys like to cook while camping. I know there are a lot of people who like to eat noodles, but I need to know other than noodles.
    My basic menus always contain hamburgers, pulled chicken (crockpot prepared), hamburger casserole, hot dogs & beans. Also use Hamburger/Tuna Helper boxed prepared meals. Salads are quick and easy. Mac & Cheese works well.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So now we have a name for camping out at Walmart (or some other parking lot intended for shoppers)...... "lotdocking"...... I always thought of it as "moochdocking"......

I know... I know..... lot's of people do it......

Anyway...... Why not just purchase some food at commercial location(s) at/near the "lotdocking" 'campground' you use? If nothing else it will help support the good folks who allowed you to stay there.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    If you have a convection microwave, plenty of terrific meals can be made with minimal time. Prepare the dish beforehand and then cook as soon as you stop. Electric skillets are great too. My wife and I enjoy stir-fry and so many options for quick, healthy meals or even breakfast for dinner or gourmet grilled cheese. Of course this assumes you have inverter or generator power while in the lot. If not, a nice selection of meats and cheese for a charcuterie with some fruit and veggies and a hummus or dip require nothing but a fridge. A nice egg salad, chicken salad, or seafood salad makes for good options too.
    We will have a generator that we can use for the microwave. This was an idea, We were looking at any other ideas.

Breakfast is easy. Cerals both hot and cold, bagels etc.

We do have places we would like to eat at while traveling, such as Black Hills Burger and Bun in Custer SD.

I am looking into a lithium battery 200ah, charger, and an inverter. I am currently doing my research. The goal is to start out on a lithium battery 200ah and a charger, and maybe an inverter. I want to be able to grow the system with additional components, like solar. Eventually power both legs of the 50amp rig.
    Last edited by RoJoSo; 10-29-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    So now we have a name for camping out at Walmart (or some other parking lot intended for shoppers)...... "lotdocking"...... I always thought of it as "moochdocking"......

I know... I know..... lot's of people do it......

Anyway...... Why not just purchase some food at commercial location(s) at/near the "lotdocking" 'campground' you use? If nothing else it will help support the good folks who allowed you to stay there.
    I think moochdocking is staying at a family or friends place and mooching off their electric and water.
    No idea where I got the term lotdocking. I just figured calling it that bc we are in a parking lot. LOL!

We have stayed at Cracker Barrels and ate there and others of the like. I was curious as to what peple do at parking lots or Truck / Rest Stops.

If we get to Custer SD, we do want to try Black Hills Burger and Bun in Custer SD. If the timing is right. They have odd hours.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    We also carry a few different varieties of canned soup with tomato basil being our favorite... nothing like a bowl of hot tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich for a quick dinner.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJoSo View Post
    I think moochdocking is staying at a family or friends place and mooching off their electric and water.
    No idea where I got the term lotdocking. I just figured calling it that bc we are in a parking lot. LOL!

We have stayed at Cracker Barrels and ate there and others of the like. I was curious as to what peple do at parking lots or Truck / Rest Stops.

If we get to Custer SD, we do want to try Black Hills Burger and Bun in Custer SD. If the timing is right. They have odd hours.
    If that is what moochdocking is than we're guilty for sure! We have a few friends who have utilities set up at their homes (usually ranches or farms) who we visit and stay on their property.

I'm not much help for overnight stops as we always stop at campgrounds (or reasonable facsimiles for one night stop overs). So the meals vary from the ever ready standby - grilled cheese and tomato soup, to cooked meals.

fwiw.... we usually make sandwiches ahead of time to eat lunch along the way to our next location.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving this to the cooking section
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do get some premade food at Costco for some nights (love their Asian Orange Chicken and the deli made meat loaf with mashed potatoes!) but our Weber grill get a lot of work for hamburgers, steaks, pork chops, lamb chops and chicken. Alway nice to do a Papa Murphy’s in our oven! The Furion residential oven in our Solitude is so great!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast