User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Tow trailer vs. Fifth Wheel - why the disparity in pricing?

I'm going to buy a sizable toy hauler, but I get depressed when I see the price differences between the type you tow vs. fiver. I'm trying to understand why, in most cases, the tow type costs half as much as a fiver with basically the same, or similar, floor plans. Why the vast disparity in prices? Is it a safety issue, vanity, performance, what?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In broad strokes, a 5th wheel toy hauler will be of higher capacity and a better tow for large toys. Most every 5th will be step frame versus straight frame, will have taller interior height, more cargo capacity and storage, and will be more stout in construction throughout. Get into the weight and capacity ratings and comparing structure and components and you will soon find the differences wherein a tag along will be the lesser needing to reserve greater weight to scrounge capacity.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KausalityKid View Post
    I'm going to buy a sizable toy hauler, but I get depressed when I see the price differences between the type you tow vs. fiver. I'm trying to understand why, in most cases, the tow type costs half as much as a fiver with basically the same, or similar, floor plans. Why the vast disparity in prices? Is it a safety issue, vanity, performance, what?
    I see this and all of the other disparities ones sees in free market economy as a matter of supply, demand and what the market will support. As long as people are prepared to pay inflated prices for items, such as some almost 40% markup on new vehicles, and fifth wheels costing more than trailers, manufacturers and retailers will sell them at inflated prices. I dare say that if trailers were more in demand than fifth wheels they would be the more costly item.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lovells View Post
    I dare say that if trailers were more in demand than fifth wheels they would be the more costly item.
    Travel trailers by far are the most sold units. Last statistics I saw was >60% of all RVs are travel trailers, with 5th wheels ranking 2nd, and Class A/C third.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK So Not a supply and Demand Issue

Perhaps it is just because they can make more money from selling 5th wheels. The components are virtually the same and the chassis cost differential does not equal the price differential. Yes a 5th wheel has a slightly more complex chassis, but not that much.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow trailer vs. Fifth Wheel - why the disparity in pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lovells View Post
    Perhaps it is just because they can make more money from selling 5th wheels. The components are virtually the same and the chassis cost differential does not equal the price differential. Yes a 5th wheel has a slightly more complex chassis, but not that much.
    I think this of best reasoning. Yes they do cost more to build, they are a bit more complex and they do sell less of them, but it certainly does not equate to double the price. Maybe 20 or 25 percent premium but anything more is just profit.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they truly double though? When we picked up our 295 this fall, that's not what we were seeing. Now admittedly, we were just interested in 5th wheels, but a quick look at travel trailers on the dealer's website with a very similar floor plan to our 5th, was not 1/2 the price.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a comparison of apples-to-apples is necessary to claim there should not be a big cost difference between a travel trailer and a 5th wheel.

To begin with - a 5th wheel's frame is much more stout than on a travel trailer. It's heavier and includes much more framework in order to support the hitch pin box. And I don't think one can really say that the floor plans are the same.

Moving further along - just because of the nature of a 5th wheel the walls are more complex to build, the interior plumbing is different, there are stairs to build, etc.

I think comparing apples-to-apples you'd also have to compare the slides in each unit. I'll bet the fifth wheel has more and that they are bigger (think hydraulics). So now we're back to beefier frames, bigger steel and more of it.

so - just not seeing how to compare the cost of a trailer to that of a 5th wheel - all other things being equal.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started looking at GD floor plans in the Momentum category and couldn't find comparable in the tt and 5th class. However, in the Reflection there's the 303 which is kind of similar to the 297. Up here in Canada, there's 12k difference. Which is not much considering the extra frame, higher ceilings...

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looking at the GD website, a 38' Reflection travel trailer has MSRP of $70,500. A 37' Reflection 5th wheel is $82,300. This is apples-to-apples with similar features.

Perhaps your double figure is not simply travel trailer to 5th wheel, but base brand versus upscale. Options, quality of components, etc. Went back and looked at a 37' Transcend and MSRP is $41,200. Throw in a 37' Solitude at $110,000. Hope this helps.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast