User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with shore power and Magnum MSH3012RV

Hi! I need some help please. I finished installing a Magnum MSH3012RV Hybrid inverter with 3 Li-ion Battleborn batteries. DC power works fine. When I plug the cord to the pedestal, AC power works for about 10-20 seconds then the pedestal breaker trips; the remote fault light turns on and the screen displays “Unknown Mode”.
    Has anyone encountered this issue before? Appreciate your knowledge and help.

I'm joining a short video to illustrate the problem here.
    Last edited by alkbch; 10-31-2021 at 08:07 PM.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @SolarPoweredRV is one of our resident experts on that topic...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkbch View Post
    Hi! I need some help please. I finished installing a Magnum MSH3012RV Hybrid inverter with 3 Li-ion Battleborn batteries. DC power works fine. When I plug the cord to the pedestal, AC power works for about 10-20 seconds then the pedestal breaker trips; the remote fault light turns on and the screen displays “Unknown Mode”.
    Has anyone encountered this issue before? Appreciate your knowledge and help.

I'm joining a short video to illustrate the problem here.
    I have three suggestions:

1, I am sure you have gone over your wiring, but go back out to the coach, first thing in the day, when you are fresh and verify every wire going into and out of the Magnum Inverter. Make this verification your only task until verification is complete. You will be amazed what a fresh set of eyes can discover.

2, Are you plugged into a true 50 amp outlet at the pedestal without any "Dogbones"? Have you checked the pedestal to ensure the outlet is wired correctly?

If you are plugged into a 30 amp outlet and you are using a "Dogbone" to connect your coach, there is a warning about Line 2 being in the same phase as Line 1 (which would happen if you have a Dogbone that splits the 30 amp service to provide power to Line 1 and Line2) in your Owners manual on page 47. If this is the case, try proper 50 amp outlet, or get a 30 amp to 50 amp Dogbone that has two, split, 30 amp plugs on it and only plug in one of those plugs (corresponding to Line 1).

3, Turn off every 120 amp breaker inside your coach and try powering on the Inverter without any load. You also might want to turn off the Charger to see if the Inverter, by itself, will still pop the breaker on your Pedestal.

Unfortunately, your display is not displaying a useful error code.

If the above does not cure your issue, you will need to get Magnum Tech Support on the line.

Good luck and let us know what you discover.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @SolarPoweredRV ;, thank you very much for your detailed message!

I went back in the coach this morning and checked the wires again. To the best of my knowledge they are plugged in correctly. I have a 6-3 wire coming from the ATS to the Magnum AC in, then another 6-3 wire from the AC out of the magnum towards the coach panel. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7895.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	37532

I am not using a dogbone on the pedestal. I have been at the same site for months and electric had been working fine so far.

I have tried flipping off all the AC breakers and switching on the inverter. I get a different error message with “AC overload”
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7899.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	37533
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @SolarPoweredRV ; your first point was right! It seems like I had not connected one of the wires properly to the magnum AC input. I reconnected them and tightened them again and I now have AC power in the coach; and I no longer trip the pedestal breaker.

Thank you so so much! I can’t express how much I appreciate your help.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkbch View Post
    @SolarPoweredRV ; your first point was right! It seems like I had not connected one of the wires properly to the magnum AC input. I reconnected them and tightened them again and I now have AC power in the coach; and I no longer trip the pedestal breaker.

Thank you so so much! I can’t express how much I appreciate your help.
    You are welcome and congrats.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK