User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do not have to buy a hitch from CW. Go to a real hitch shop before your trailer is delivered and get a quality hitch. After you take delivery of the trailer, they shoud be able to set it up correctly I would not trust CW for anything. I can not even imagine a dealo from them good enough for me to buy a trailer from them. Just don't set the bar very high for service and you'll probably be fine.
    I towed a pull behind for 10 years with a Reese hitch and had zero issues.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo999 View Post
    Hi,

I've ordered an Imagine 2400BH from Camping World. The dealer will charge me about $500 to fit an Eaz-Lift ReCurve R3 weight distributing hitch.

I thought I might first do some research on WDH and buy something that I wanted, rather than having to take the dealer hitch. For example I was considering ProPride. However the dealer said their tech won't fit anything else and they will set up the Eaz-Lift as part of my collection. Is this typical? If I buy a new hitch do I then have to try and sell the Eaz-Lift?

I am new to trailering and I don't feel competent enough to fit my own hitch when I pickup the trailer. There will be too much I need to check and worry about without that. So this is an easy option to have the dealer fit the hitch and check it's all working ok with my towing vehicle.

What do you do when you buy a new trailer from a dealer?

Thanks
    You are not required to buy the hitch they sell. If you already did research on ProPride, buy it! When I had a bumper pull, Propride was the 3rd WD hitch I bought and wished I'd have just spent the money on it to begin with. As has been mentioned, it will feel like the trailer isn't there. Good Luck
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve bought five TT that needed a WDH. Not a single dealer, good or bad, set it up right. They will not make the effort or take the time to fine tune your setup.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    These trailers being bought at camping world must be used trailers ? Grand Design has never allowed camping world be a Grand design dealer in the past.
    There are a few instances around the country where an independently owned dealership was a GD dealer and was bought out by CW. I guess GD didn't take the dealership status away from them.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt if any dealer would install a hitch they don't sell. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself in the parking lot you are stuck with what they sell (they may have other ones available) or seeing if they will deliver it.

I have a Blue Ox sway pro and neither the Flagstaff or Grand Design dealers carried them so I installed it myself in the parking lot both times.

Also keep in mind many dealers will not properly setup the hitch so there is a goo chance you need to have it re-done anyway.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any reputable hitch dealer will install it for you. Asb far as that goes, Uhaul will bolt it on for you as far as the initial installation, it requires wrenches and an impact wrench. Even a mis-adjusted or non-adjusted hitch is not unsafe to drive with and it will certainly get you home or to your storage location.
    There is no difference between towing with a hitch that has not yet been set up and the dealer telling you it looks good and sending you down the road and a hitch that been just bolted on.
    The worst you will see is maybe a llite sway and thats not the end of the world.
    Once you get it settled in, call an independent RV service guy to set it up for you. It will probably run a couple of hundred, which is cheap for peace of mind and a safe hitch.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone it's good to know that I don't have to stick with what they offer.
    I shall watch a few youtube videos on how to install a ProPride and see if it feels do-able to me in the parking lot.
    I can then hopefully get the trailer safely to an independent technician who can check my handy-work.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone it's good to know that I don't have to stick with what they offer.
    I shall watch a few youtube videos on how to install a ProPride and see if it feels do-able to me in the parking lot.
    I can then hopefully get the trailer safely to an independent technician who can check my handy-work.
    Propride has excellent telephone support. Call them with any and all questions.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Their installation manual is available on line. It is excellent. And, when I had questions about the install, my calls were taken by the owner of the company. Even on a Sat. afternoon. He does have a couple of others now that assist with those calls, and they are all fantastic on providing total support.
    I'd suggest:
    1. Plan on just removing the tanks and tank tray and carrying them separately for the first tow home. Makes initial install easier, and you can then later work on putting them back, and moving what may need to be moved later.
    2. Get their chain and power cord extension kit. Verify if you can return if not needed. Better to have, and not use than not have and need.
    3. Since you will be at CW already, plan on one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-8...003VAX3IC?th=1 - length to be determined after you have installed.
    4. Don't forget a pin or lock for your receiver, and something to pin the lever on the ball socket (I used a bolt and nut).
    5. You may want to get it early, and work through "how to" assemble at home a couple of times, so you aren't starting from zero in the lot.

As long as you can torque the major bolts to spec., even being very off on the initial setup will still allow you to get home very safely.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dealer (not CW) did the same thing. They asked if I needed a hitch, which I did, and gave me a grand total of one choice. The gal didn't even know what the part number was so I didn't know what I would be getting. After a few emails and asking "do you at least have a link to it so I can see what I'm getting" (which thoroughly stumped her), I found out it was a Sway Pro. They were going to charge me $300 over the retail price plus installation. No thanks. I had it towed to the local KOA so I could break it in while deciding what to get, which ended up being a Weigh Safe.
    Jeff
    2021 30G Toy Hauler
    2021 RAM 2500 6.7L HD

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast