User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Directv in My Reflection

We have Directv at our home in Tempe, AZ. What equipment do I need in order to have that same service in our 2022 Reflection 337RLS?

I had read that all you needed to do was to take one of the Genie's from your home and pair it with the same type of satellite receiver and you were good-to-go.

Directv told me to contact Winegard.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curtis,

You will need to take the main Genie unit with you for the first TV. If you have additional TVs (i.e. bedroom) you'll also need to bring a (small box) Genie Mini Client for each additional TV. If you are going to have multiple TVs you'll need a Directv coax splitter to split the line from the dish to each TV.

The newer Genie main units (H44, HR44, HR54, or HS17 Genie 2) have a built-in power supply for the dish. If you have a different model Genie main unit you will also need a PI-29Z power inserter installed somewhere between the main Genie and the dish. If so it's easier to purchase an extra one and leave it installed in the Reflection instead of moving it back and forth from home.

I couldn't bring myself to splurge for a Winegard rooftop automatic dish, so I use a regular dish (just like you have at home) on a portable tripod. I purchased my tripod kit from tvforrv.com and recommend that type of kit versus a fixed tripod you might find at Home Depot. The tv4rv model is fully adjustable which makes it very easy to level it. The tripod mount is also handy if you have trees blocking your view of the sky. You can download an app for your phone which uses your camera to see the sat positions in the sky superimposed on the screen and move the tripod to a spot with a good view.

Since my dish isn't automatic I need to align it manually when I set it up. I've used several inexpensive meters in addition to attempting to use the one built into the Genie itself and it was difficult and time consuming with all of them. So I now use a Directv "AIM" meter that I picked up on Ebay which is what a pro installer might use. It makes it very easy to align the meter quickly and in one pass. I usually take about 15 minutes to set up the tripod and align the dish.

I was able to connect everything in my Solitude using the factory-installed 'Cable' coax lines to each TV. I installed my splitter in the wet bay where the factory 'cable' coax lines terminate.

Hopefully this is enough to get you started but if you need more info let me know.

John
    John and Vicki
    2022 Solitude 375RES-R
    2021 Ford F-450

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent feedback and very much appreciated John!! Happy trails to you and Vicki.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add a bit to what @wireslv said, there is no more HD TV with DirecTV on portable/carry-out automatic antennas. If you want HD with DirecTV, you'll need to use the manual dish on a tripod that he mentioned.

Now - welcome to the forum! You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wireslv View Post
    Curtis,

You can download an app for your phone which uses your camera to see the sat positions in the sky superimposed on the screen and move the tripod to a spot with a good view.
    John
    John,

Would you please post the name of that app for aiming? I still use an old 18" round antenna as I can get by without HD. I do wish they still included the audible signal strength meter on the new HD receivers so they could be used for aiming.

Jerry
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    John,

Would you please post the name of that app for aiming? I still use an old 18" round antenna as I can get by without HD. I do wish they still included the audible signal strength meter on the new HD receivers so they could be used for aiming.

Jerry
    The app I use is SatFinder Lite. There are several others but this one is free and gets the job done. Once you install it go to the Sat List and un-check the all of them except the DirecTV ones. If you still have a round 18 inch dish you only need the 101.0 sat in view. If you have the oval one you want 99.2, 101.0, and 103.0.

-John
    John and Vicki
    2022 Solitude 375RES-R
    2021 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The app I use is SatFinder Lite. There are several others but this one is free and gets the job done. Once you install it go to the Sat List and un-check the all of them except the DirecTV ones. If you still have a round 18 inch dish you only need the 101.0 sat in view. If you have the oval one you want 99.2, 101.0, and 103.0.

-John
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Apparently the meter you are using is pretty expensive. Did you ever consider just dumping the DirecTV and going with Dish. If I'm seeing the right meter, you could purchase a nice Dish auto-aiming system for much less?

We stay with Direct at home (and in the trailer) because it's the only way we can follow Texas Rangers baseball games.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Apparently the meter you are using is pretty expensive. Did you ever consider just dumping the DirecTV and going with Dish. If I'm seeing the right meter, you could purchase a nice Dish auto-aiming system for much less?
    It is, but I just kept my eye on the auctions until I found a used one for a price that I could accept. A Bird Dog meter would also work as a possibly less expensive option. Really any meter will work if you only need the SD channels on the 101 satellite. The HD channels and locals on the 99 and 103 are much more difficult to peak up without a decent meter.

I did look hard a Dish and was really close to making the jump. However I saw too many postings from people who were unhappy with the picture due to compression artifacts. Knowing myself, that would drive me nuts so I just stuck with DirecTV.

-John
    John and Vicki
    2022 Solitude 375RES-R
    2021 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is, but I just kept my eye on the auctions until I found a used one for a price that I could accept. A Bird Dog meter would also work as a possibly less expensive option. Really any meter will work if you only need the SD channels on the 101 satellite. The HD channels and locals on the 99 and 103 are much more difficult to peak up without a decent meter.

I did look hard a Dish and was really close to making the jump. However I saw too many postings from people who were unhappy with the picture due to compression artifacts. Knowing myself, that would drive me nuts so I just stuck with DirecTV.

-John
    Yeah, that would drive me nuts too, even though I manage to get by with SD resolution while in the trailer.

I have no trouble hitting the 101 satellite just aiming with a compass but it requires a really clear opening in the trees. Not very forgiving. My biggest problem is not having a build in audible signal strength meter to use in aiming. I carry an old SD receiver for nothing but aiming. It sounds like a lot of trouble, but I've got it down to a quick operation. I'd definitely change if we spent more time in the 5th wheel. Also, it appears the future of satellite TV is limited.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curtis,

You will need to take the main Genie unit with you for the first TV. If you have additional TVs (i.e. bedroom) you'll also need to bring a (small box) Genie Mini Client for each additional TV. If you are going to have multiple TVs you'll need a Directv coax splitter to split the line from the dish to each TV.

The newer Genie main units (H44, HR44, HR54, or HS17 Genie 2) have a built-in power supply for the dish. If you have a different model Genie main unit you will also need a PI-29Z power inserter installed somewhere between the main Genie and the dish. If so it's easier to purchase an extra one and leave it installed in the Reflection instead of moving it back and forth from home.

I couldn't bring myself to splurge for a Winegard rooftop automatic dish, so I use a regular dish (just like you have at home) on a portable tripod. I purchased my tripod kit from tvforrv.com and recommend that type of kit versus a fixed tripod you might find at Home Depot. The tv4rv model is fully adjustable which makes it very easy to level it. The tripod mount is also handy if you have trees blocking your view of the sky. You can download an app for your phone which uses your camera to see the sat positions in the sky superimposed on the screen and move the tripod to a spot with a good view.

Since my dish isn't automatic I need to align it manually when I set it up. I've used several inexpensive meters in addition to attempting to use the one built into the Genie itself and it was difficult and time consuming with all of them. So I now use a Directv "AIM" meter that I picked up on Ebay which is what a pro installer might use. It makes it very easy to align the meter quickly and in one pass. I usually take about 15 minutes to set up the tripod and align the dish.

I was able to connect everything in my Solitude using the factory-installed 'Cable' coax lines to each TV. I installed my splitter in the wet bay where the factory 'cable' coax lines terminate.

Hopefully this is enough to get you started but if you need more info let me know.

John
    I have same model Reflection, but 2019. Had the roof mount antenna installed. Think it’s called “Traveler”? Then had a receiver at the house that I just moved from a room to the RV when needed. That receiver was not a genie, but connected to the whole house DVR and the rest of the house had genies. But it also had its own DVR. We moved and DTV basically took that unit. I tried taking my main genie out to the RV but it wouldn’t work. The antennae showed it found the satellite but nothing showed up on my TV. I remember being told at install time it needed to be SWM capable? The receiver? I called DTV and they told me I could only get a receiver (without DVR, the H-24). So this is supposed to work in the RV, but not capable of recording. Anyone know if I can just buy a used HR-24 and use the card from the H-24? My RV has a power box that I turn on to connect the antenna to satellite. Then has a powered unit in-line to connect the co-ax to. I think it has something to do with the SWM, but I’m a neophyte on all this. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Todd Dean
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Silverado 2500 Gas, std Bed, 2 WD
    BW Companion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast