User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery charging

I’m trying to decide if I want to take both batteries out of my Solitude and put them in my garage on a trickle charger or just plug the Solitude into our home 50 amp service and just leave it for the winter. Are there any cons to leaving the batteries in? I didn’t know if the cold would effect them?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I would leave them in place and the trailer hooked up shore power. A good converter will adjust itself so as not to overcharge the batteries.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to come up with reasons to leave them in or take them out.

The only thing I can come up with is to take them out so they don't freeze. Can they freeze? I don't even know, but I use to remove mine when we lived in the Atlanta area. I just stored them in my garage and they were fine in the spring. Atlanta winters are certainly less sever than in Idaho tho.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lead-acid batteries that are fully charged freeze at about -90F. Cold doesn’t hurt charged batteries until it gets insanely cold.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the responses

2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't resist repeating my prior posts.
    A lead acid battery that is fully charged doesn't freeze until it gets to -74F. Ask anyone from a northern climate, it is never a problem for car batteries even here on -30 nights in Minnesota. Sure, they loose output power, like for starting a car, but never freeze unless they are severely discharged.
    Batteries do slowly self discharge, even disconnected. But it is very temperature dependent. The warmer the faster. See the following chart.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lead acid discharge.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	37744

Even in Atlanta, it will be a year or more before you get to a 50% discharge. Mine, in cold Minn. go from Oct. to April in the RV and boat, outside, with no attention whatsoever, and always have close to a full charge on them when I check them in the spring. Been doing it that way for many, many years. There is really no need to uninstall and lug them anywhere, or to deal with trickle chargers/maintainers etc.

Just make sure -
    1. They are in good condition otherwise, and topped up with distilled water, if needed.
    2. They are fully charged to start off.
    3. They truly are completely disconnected. (I disconnect cables, some install switches to completely cut all current flow).
    4. Texas in the summer requires more vigilance than most places over the winter for long term storage!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I can't resist repeating my prior posts.
    A lead acid battery that is fully charged doesn't freeze until it gets to -74F. Ask anyone from a northern climate, it is never a problem for car batteries even here on -30 nights in Minnesota. Sure, they loose output power, like for starting a car, but never freeze unless they are severely discharged.
    Batteries do slowly self discharge, even disconnected. But it is very temperature dependent. The warmer the faster. See the following chart.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lead acid discharge.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	37744

Even in Atlanta, it will be a year or more before you get to a 50% discharge. Mine, in cold Minn. go from Oct. to April in the RV and boat, outside, with no attention whatsoever, and always have close to a full charge on them when I check them in the spring. Been doing it that way for many, many years. There is really no need to uninstall and lug them anywhere, or to deal with trickle chargers/maintainers etc.

Just make sure -
    1. They are in good condition otherwise, and topped up with distilled water, if needed.
    2. They are fully charged to start off.
    3. They truly are completely disconnected. (I disconnect cables, some install switches to completely cut all current flow).
    4. Texas in the summer requires more vigilance than most places over the winter for long term storage!
    Good information…thanks

2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    .....There is really no need to uninstall and lug them anywhere, or to deal with trickle chargers/maintainers etc.....
    Do agree on disconnecting them and lugging them out = PITA. But, before I started (Deltran Battery Tendor) trickle charging my boat(s), riding lawn mower, ATV's, Jeep, and car batteries, I was only getting maybe 2 yrs out of my jetski and ATV AGM's, 4-5 yrs out of my car/boat/lawn mower non-AGM's. Since using the trickle charger on them, my Ski/ATV batteries last 6+ years, and my non-AGM's last 10+ years.

IMO, trickle charging has doubled (plus) the "normal" service life of all my batteries. I would highly recommend for that reason ($$$) alone!

My 2012 Mustang is still running on its original Motorcraft factory battery. Just sold my '06 Chrysler 300 which had 11 years on its second battery - didn't trickle charge the first one and it only lasted 4.5yrs!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why go through the hassle of wrestling two batteries? Leave them in place and plug in your shore power or maybe just plug in a battery tender when the trailer isn't being used.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
    Why go through the hassle of wrestling two batteries? Leave them in place and plug in your shore power or maybe just plug in a battery tender when the trailer isn't being used.
    That is whats nice about the Deltran system..... you place quick connect positive/negative cable wire permanently (bolt) mounted on the battery terminals while its installed in the vehicle. Once parked near your tender, you just connect up the cable with a quick connect while not in use. Two minutes or less and your batteries are kept topped off and their life extended beyond the normal number of service years with no more yanking out/putting in the batteries.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast