User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    You already have easy lube axles, with grease fittings. Follow the suggested directions, and there are no benefits to adding Bearing Buddys.

But, if it makes you feel better, go ahead.
    I do like that you can easily determine how much grease is in the reserve with the bearing buddy without removing the drum/hub. Before a trip I add grease until the reserve is full. I also like the fact that dirt and moisture can't get into the grease cavity. I've been using bearing buddy's for decades and never had a wheel bearing fail.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Bearing buddys keep the grease under constant pressure, that is just looking for a place to exit. The seals are the most likely exit. Then you will have grease on your brakes, and a big mess to fix.

People will sell you all kinds of things you shouldn't use.....Slide supports come to mind right away. It is up to the individual to be skeptical of those wanting your money.
    I have never heard of a bearing buddy causing a good seal to leak. But if you have a bad grease seal then it will probably leak grease at some point without a bearing buddy.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    I do like that you can easily determine how much grease is in the reserve with the bearing buddy without removing the drum/hub. Before a trip I add grease until the reserve is full. I also like the fact that dirt and moisture can't get into the grease cavity. I've been using bearing buddy's for decades and never had a wheel bearing fail.
    I guess I don't see the need to keep pushing more grease into bearings. I hand pack my bearings every 3 years (depends on mileage), and there is always plenty on them. You don't need "reserves" if it isn't leaking out.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never heard of a bearing buddy causing a good seal to leak. But if you have a bad grease seal then it will probably leak grease at some point without a bearing buddy.
    True but, If the grease isn't under pressure, it will be a slow ooze type leak..... Under pressure, it will leak more faster.... And ALL grease seals will fail if used long enough.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have, but only once. He pumped grease in vigorously enough to pop the seal off the back of the bearing assy.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    True but, If the grease isn't under pressure, it will be a slow ooze type leak..... Under pressure, it will leak more faster.... And ALL grease seals will fail if used long enough.
    The bearing buddy only applies 3 psi of pressure on the grease. A wheel bearing grease leak from a bad seal can cause braking failure even if it's a slow ooze type leak. With the bearing buddy you at least have a visual indication of grease level on the road. Grease seals should be inspected periodically.

From BB FAQ:
    3. With Bearing Buddy® installed, how often do I need to repack my bearings?

Answer: We don't recommend inspecting your bearings more frequently than once every 5 years, provided you properly maintain the grease level in the hubs, and your bearings and seals are in new condition when you install genuine Bearing Buddy®. The Bearing Buddy® system maintains a constant pressure of 3 p.s.i. on the grease inside the hub. Since the hub is always full of grease (with proper maintenance) there is no need to repack your bearings. Some customers have reported that their Bearing Buddy® units were removed for the first time after 10 to 15 years of use, and the bearings still looked like new.
    Last edited by Corky2; 11-17-2021 at 05:48 AM.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow up to my original post... I reached out to Lippert to ask what routine maintenance should be regarding grease. I explained that the manual does not make any reference to utilizing the grease zerk between re-packing/inspection/maintenance. Here's their response:

Thank you for contacting Lippert Components for support with this issue. In regards to your concern, you are correct with standard procedures for grease/oil on the axles. Our standard recommendation for zerk fittings is a good couple pumps every now and then. More consistent if, you are more of a fulltimer. If its more of a seasonal thing, you can pump out before a trip and repeat process along the way if its long distance. If its shorter distance you can re-pump before you head back and that should be just fine. We wouldn't recommend pumping until you see it coming out of the fitting, just due to concerns with grease contamination on anything in the brake or hub assembly. If it does come out however, don't be too concerned, it's just simply that our standard recommendation is to only do a couple pumps.

In case that is of interest to anyone. Helps me feel better about the fact that it wasn't loaded with grease from the factory, and that I don't need to load it up like I'm used to doing with my boat trailer.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the hub is always full of grease (with proper maintenance) there is no need to repack your bearings.
    Just curious. What do they consider proper maintenance? To me, it's repacking every year or two. I have bearing buddy's on my boat trailer but repack every year cuz they go in the water. Occasionally seeing the effects of water intrusion.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Just curious. What do they consider proper maintenance? To me, it's repacking every year or two. I have bearing buddy's on my boat trailer but repack every year cuz they go in the water. Occasionally seeing the effects of water intrusion.
    Proper maintenance to me is inspecting the wheel hubs and braking system periodically, replacing parts and making adjustments as needed.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    According to the Lipper Axle Maintenance Guide, they recommend bearing inspections every 36,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. And every 3,000 for electric brake inspections. They use Lithium Complex NLGI No. 2 grease, so make sure you use the same or compatible grease.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast