User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year we spent the last weeks of September and into early October this year in the Durango area and Grand Junction. Definitely open for business, but rain made us adjust some of our plans. We hit the Million Dollar Highway during peak leaf season.

The CG in Mesa Verde National Park has a large number of FCFS sites. And since a visit to that park already requires a lot of driving, it would be worth spending a little to have that head start on your day. I did come across some info that said that CG is rarely full.

And when considering Canyonlands, look into camping at Dead Horse State Park. Very close to the Island in the Sky section of Canyonlands and they have a viewpoint of the Colorado that is similar to Horseshoe Bend outside Page AZ. Also, Dead Horse is one of the state parks in Utah that is very dog-friendly.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlk111 View Post
    Is that book like the "Milepost" book of traveling B.C., Yukon to Alaska. I think I need one. Does it show mile markers with descriptive notes...That book is a must for a trip north. It has so much information with many side roads included.
    No. It is not like Milepost; it is singularly focused on grade. One trick pony for sure but it gives me what I need to feel confident in route planning.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D6D3CB24-34F3-41FE-B7FE-02DFF641205E.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	37871
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been 3 times and going back

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Never been to the mountains...any real mountains. Talked about going Colorado for 30 years and finally planning to do it next year. Our plan is to travel for 4+ weeks starting last week of August. As I've been planning the route and checking out places to stay (using RV Trip Wizard mainly), I notice an abundance of public campgrounds which seem to be limited on hook ups. We're planning to start from the North of the state and work our way south (including a side trip to Canyon Lands in UT).
    Wondering if anyone can advise:

How easy it is to find dump stations and fresh water throughout the state?
    Are most campgrounds going to remain open until end of September?
    Is it easy to find places to just pull over and camp for the night if we do not make reservations in advance?

Thanks!
    Blessed to visit 3 times so far and we are going back this summer for the middle part of the state..
    From the top of course RMNP stayed at Elk Meadows in Estes Park easy to get to all entrances there. A must hike is Emerald Lake hike.
    Further down on the right side we hit Pikes Peak stayed at Green Mountain I think. It’s not the best accommodations but it’s right outside of entrance to Pikes Peak.
    Beautiful drive to Royal Gorge stayed at Mountain View Campground which is top notch..
    Do the zip line over the gorge you will not regret it..
    Head to Alamosa for the Great Sand Dunes NP.. KOA is in need of many repairs so look elsewhere..
    Bottom left for Mesa Verde stayed at Ancient Cedars . Not the high rent district but it right across from the park..
    If your in the Breckinridge area stay at Tiger Run a bit pricey but very nice.
    Riding the chairlifts during the summer time is awesome..
    For any places to stay on the road AllStays has never failed us for accurate up to date reviews.
    Sorry for the horrible grammar and no flow at all to the post but it’s recent info..
    Have fun you will not regret going just plan ahead for park entrance passes etc..

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'm making good progress getting reservations for this "bucket list" trip. But I have a specific question about getting around the Million Dollar Highway...I have seen the YouTube vids and received my Mountain Directories (thanks Rob, Second Chance, for the suggestion). I've decided that while I definitely want to drive the Million Dollar Highway with our truck, I definitely do not want to drive it towing our camper. So, if I need to get from North to South, where we will park in Mancos, CO (coming from Somerset), what is the best route around that highway? They all seem a bit sketchy to me unless I go way around. Anyone been there, done that?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'm making good progress getting reservations for this "bucket list" trip. But I have a specific question about getting around the Million Dollar Highway...I have seen the YouTube vids and received my Mountain Directories (thanks Rob, Second Chance, for the suggestion). I've decided that while I definitely want to drive the Million Dollar Highway with our truck, I definitely do not want to drive it towing our camper. So, if I need to get from North to South, where we will park in Mancos, CO (coming from Somerset), what is the best route around that highway? They all seem a bit sketchy to me unless I go way around. Anyone been there, done that?
    Scratch that everyone. I was misreading the Mountain Directory. After looking at more detailed maps, I see I can go around without adding too much time and it appears to be less intense drive.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scratch that everyone. I was misreading the Mountain Directory. After looking at more detailed maps, I see I can go around without adding too much time and it appears to be less intense drive.
    Glad you have it worked out. I was going to suggest Moab to Cortez to Mancos. What park in the Mancos area are you looking at?

Best regards, Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2013 Expedition EL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
    Glad you have it worked out. I was going to suggest Moab to Cortez to Mancos. What park in the Mancos area are you looking at?

Best regards, Chris
    I found that I can take 62 at Ridgeway to 145 at Placerville down to Cortez and it didn't add much time overall. We have reservations at Echo Basin Ranch. I'm using RV Trip Wizard mainly and hoping that the reviews are accurate. We're not looking for concrete and landscaping, just reliable power and security of the camper while we're running every day and sleeping at night.
    Chad

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at flattestroute.com. Easy to use, on the home page there is a link to a demo on using the site.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that I can take 62 at Ridgeway to 145 at Placerville down to Cortez and it didn't add much time overall. We have reservations at Echo Basin Ranch. I'm using RV Trip Wizard mainly and hoping that the reviews are accurate. We're not looking for concrete and landscaping, just reliable power and security of the camper while we're running every day and sleeping at night.
    I asked because we stayed in Echo Basin in early October. The park is run by people who obviously care about what they’re doing. They have artificial turf pads instead of concrete next to where you park your rig. When one rig checks out, they come by with a blower and rake and clear them, including the pine needles. I could have done without some of the construction noise and the sounds of them using heavy equipment to chop down the plants next to some of the ponds, but otherwise really liked the location.

A couple of tips for visiting Mesa Verde. First download their podcasts in advance and listen to them to gain a greater appreciation for the ancestral Puebloans. Second, the park maps don’t show it, but Spruce Tree House is NOT open for self-guided tours (so don’t anticipate doing that one).

Also, the Welcome Center in downtown Durango has a ton of materials and the staff is very helpful. The bakery “Bread” just a half block away has amazing cookies.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2013 Expedition EL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
    I asked because we stayed in Echo Basin in early October. The park is run by people who obviously care about what they’re doing. They have artificial turf pads instead of concrete next to where you park your rig. When one rig checks out, they come by with a blower and rake and clear them, including the pine needles. I could have done without some of the construction noise and the sounds of them using heavy equipment to chop down the plants next to some of the ponds, but otherwise really liked the location.

A couple of tips for visiting Mesa Verde. First download their podcasts in advance and listen to them to gain a greater appreciation for the ancestral Puebloans. Second, the park maps don’t show it, but Spruce Tree House is NOT open for self-guided tours (so don’t anticipate doing that one).

Also, the Welcome Center in downtown Durango has a ton of materials and the staff is very helpful. The bakery “Bread” just a half block away has amazing cookies.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Thanks for the tips Chris. Happy to hear Echo Basin was a good call. Reviews were good too. We're only there 5 days of our 5 week trip. We're both very excited to go. However, first we're headed on a three week journey to FL, before staying there for a month. But I do have all the reservations confirmed now for Colorado next year. Then we're planning AK in 2023. Love retirement!
    Chad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast