User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    So...all this to say, that when it comes to payload, and especially on the particular truck I pointed out in the original picture, it's not all that important, because this one is an arbitrary one anyhow. One should pay closer attention to the axle ratings and actual tire ratings and be sure to be within those limits.
    In the jurisdiction where this truck is located, the law states that a truck over 10,000 gvw must have a safety inspection annually, so dealers will sometimes order trucks in de-rated to 9900 gvw to get around that requirement. Had this dealer not done that, that particular truck may have a gvw closer to say the 11000 mark and it's true payload would be considerably higher.
    Wait... What?? No way, the sticker is the final word an what a truck can carry forever and always!!!!!! There is no getting around it!

(read heavy sarcasm)

Assuming a 4x4 short bed crew. That truck would have had a 2,997lbs payload without the de-rated sticker
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Wait... What?? No way, the sticker is the final word an what a truck can carry forever and always!!!!!!
    LOL

I hear ya.

Funny how in this day and age, a simple number on a sticker can be the judge and jury and can be the deciding factor in DOT infractions or going free.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    LOL

I hear ya.

Funny how in this day and age, a simple number on a sticker can be the judge and jury and can be the deciding factor in DOT infractions or going free.
    And pulling personal RV's it means even less, at least as far as the DOT is concerned.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    And pulling personal RV's it means even less, at least as far as the DOT is concerned.
    True. I've seen numerous 1500s pulling 5th wheels around here. It's crazy to say the least. DOT doesn't care about RVs in this state that I've seen. They won't even pull over the ones that appear to be threats to the safety of the general public and shouldn't be on the roads. But if they did...that little 15 cent sticker is what they would look at so lets just make up numbers and slap them on. LOL
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    It's not for the manufacturer to avoid taxes, it's for the end consumer to avoid paying higher registration fees and taxes (depending on jurisdiction). Most municipalities charge taxes/registration based off GVWR. The higherthe GVWR, the higher the fees. In Texas I pay more to register the trailer than truck because higher GVWR on the trailer. Some municipalities even force higher GVWR to be considered a commercial vehicle and thus can charge even more.

Full Timing Family
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R
    2021 Ford F450 King Ranch
    As a proud (not so much) member of the "2 truck club" I can give real numbers. My 2019 F250 KR was ~1800/yr in taxes, my 2019 F450 KR is about 3800/yr. That will fall as time goes on, but the uplift is just about 2X. And it's not a small number, over the course of a 5 year ownership, you're looking at somewhere between a 5-10K difference in taxes on a 450 vs a 250. Which is why in SC, you see a WHOLE lot of 250 class vehicles with triple axle trailers behind them. Yes, you see that everywhere, but 350s and duallys aren't that common around here. For somewhat obvious reasons!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    What a shell game.
    And leads to horrible results. If you can't trust the numbers (and you can't, at least not a 250 or a 450, two of the "derate queens"), people make up their own. And then you wind up with a 21K GVWR trailer behind a 250, which I see quite commonly. Everyone knows the numbers are make believe, so, if they're going to make up the numbers, guess it doesn't matter much, right?

The numbers you really need to watch are the axle ratings and the tire ratings. Those, IMHO, are "real" numbers. The 10K or 14K numbers aren't worth the paper they are printed on, they're made up; which is obvious since you can actually pay to get a different sticker put on there (derates).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why my truck is registered in a state that doesn't hit yiu fir going over a magic number, for the weight the components are rated at.

And sticker police, my truck doesn't have a holy yellow sticker. It was long gone when I bought the truck. Door it was on was replaced.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CX500T View Post
    That's why my truck is registered in a state that doesn't hit yiu fir going over a magic number, for the weight the components are rated at.

And sticker police, my truck doesn't have a holy yellow sticker. It was long gone when I bought the truck. Door it was on was replaced.

No yellow sticker? I guess that means you can't even put a gallon of milk in the back without being "overloaded"?!

I honestly do support "stickers", more generally; the manufacturer providing realistic guidelines as to the capabilities of the vehicle to the purchaser. The issue, as with many things, the "sticker" has become politicized by "magic numbers", licensing, taxation and lots of other government madness. There are literally millions of trucks rolling around with 9990 and 14000 stickers. Some of those trucks I'd be afraid to tow a 2K trailer behind, some I'd hook a tandem dual up to and not bat an eyelash. The idea of requiring ratings on components is a very good idea. The idea of driving taxation/licensing/"class" and lots of other things from those ratings is a terrible idea.

I do feel that the white sticker provides some value, the one that describes your axle weight ratings. There really should be more data there though, the axle ratings on my F250 were limited by the tires, for example; an easy upgrade if you wanted to tow more. They should really provide ratings for axles, brakes, rims/tires and suspension. That way, if you want to go "over" you know what components you'll need to work on to increase your limit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats basically what I did but it took a lot of work to find component ratings.

I had a few auto industry contacts and worked on the first generation super duty when I was an automotive engineer.

Basically, the 10.5 Sterling axle on 99 up 250s and SRW 350s is good for at least 8200 pounds. That's the lowest rated housing.

Brakes are identical to SRW350s and some years the DRW as well.

At least with Ford the "you don't have axles or brakes" argument 250 vs 350 is a sticker limit not an engineering limit.

Now Ram, there are significant differences 2500 to 3500m

2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There is a similar tool for Ford trucks. It gives you all the numbers (including curb weights) from which to calculate payload:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

Rob
    Cool, thanks for sharing that.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast