User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second what another poster mentioned, consider Canada. At least on way out or back. We did similar trip last summer. Caught GD factory tour and RV museum on way out and crossed border north of Detroit at Port Huron. Visited Niagara Falls from Canadian side. Found fuel lot more expensive in Canada but with favorable exchange rate campgrounds and other things the same or less. If you do go this route highly recommend Christmas store in Frankenmuth, Michigan and old city
    in Quebec. We made reservations as we went, usually a few days out, because didn’t want to be tied to a schedule. I studied areas we planned to go and made of a list of my top 3 campgrounds in that area. Didn’t always get my first choice but always got a spot. And if you go to Canada don’t have any guns on board.

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you’re an aviation buff and are taking I-70 you might go to the Wright-Patterson AFB Air Force Museums. You can do a virtual tour online to see if it’s your cup of tea but if you like airplanes at all its not to be missed! I understand there is RV parking nearby. It’s near Dayton, Ohio.
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did the same trip 2016

Quote Originally Posted by colo native View Post
    I am planning a 2020 fall trip from Colorado to Maine, with stops at Rv Hall of Fame and Museum, maybe a GD factory tour, Niagara Falls, Cooperstown, Hyde Park NY, Lincolns grave site, Acadia. I really don't want to do the tolls but if I have to I will(would like to spend money on other things). Should I get an EZ pass? or do I take I70 instead of I80? Any suggestions for other stops? I am thinking this is a month or so trip. I am open to everybody's wisdom. Thanks
    My wife and I did almost the same trip in our new 2017 337RLS including a visit to GD (We live in Castle Rock CO going to New Hampshire then down the east coast). When I started mapping out our route my GPS recommended E470, I called express toll just to see what traveling the one section of E470 would cost me. I was surprised when they told me $80.00 for one way (this is a 14 mile section), the reason for the high cost we were told was, we would have 4 axles, 2 on truck, 2 on the fifth wheel which would make us commercial traffic. I did not call any of the other toll companies in the other states guessing they were probably similar as far as 4 axles. So I then decided to buy an RV specific GPS, recorded all of my specifications into the GPS and clicked avoid tolls. I felt that was a great decision after the trip, when looking at the total time frame going to New Hampshire from Colorado the difference between tolls and no tolls was less than four hours plus we got to see the back roads of America, the small towns, shops and rural areas side (which was Awesome). The unit I purchased was a Rand McNally RVND 7735 which was compatible Good Sam's Trip Planner at the time. I am not advocating for the Rand McNally GPS because Good Sam's has changed their Trip Planner format and I do not feel it works as well as it once did, but there are other RV specific GPS out there to look at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin' Dreamers View Post
    If you’re an aviation buff and are taking I-70 you might go to the Wright-Patterson AFB Air Force Museums. You can do a virtual tour online to see if it’s your cup of tea but if you like airplanes at all its not to be missed! I understand there is RV parking nearby. It’s near Dayton, Ohio.
    You don't even need to be an aviation buff. Any patriot should see this incredible museum.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Dave & Becky
    Always camping with the K9s. The boys are grown and rarely join us anymore.
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS
    2012 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB 6.7L PSD
    (now retired) Mildly massaged 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EZ Pass has a monthly fee...somewhere around a dollar I think. They also give a discount for tolls that amounts to a few percent.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    EZ Pass has a monthly fee...somewhere around a dollar I think. They also give a discount for tolls that amounts to a few percent.
    I pay no monthly fee for my NY EZ-pass.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was referring to the Ohio Franchise...but I have used mine from Iowa to New York. Its nice to be able to travel state to state on one ticket! Funny though...All these toll roads and their fees... There is not one toll road in Michigan, yet these pay to play toll roads aren't any better to drive on than the ones in Michigan. Who is getting all of that money! That's an entirely different forum!!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a NY EZ-Pass even though we live in Indiana; picked up perhaps a decade ago while traveling on the NY State Thruway = I-90 on our way to our kids' place in New Hampshire. It works wonderfully; but we have a different one for the truck + Solitude than we do for our car, since the tolls are different. (We have the F-350 on the same EZ-Pass as the car, since without the trailer, it's the same toll.)

An alternate route across Ohio from Indiana is U.S. 30; it used to be awful, but in the last decade has been updated/rebuilt, so it's as quick as I-80/90 = Indiana/Ohio toll roads across Ohio. Of course, we live in Warsaw, IN, so we're about an hour south of Elkhart, and that may be more south than you want to go. Our route to Nashua NH now typically takes us on U.S. 30 to I-80 (connections south of Cleveland) to I-84 through Connecticut and up to Worcester MA and north to Nashua (I've not listed every little bit of it). Google maps gives the route on the Indiana and Ohio toll roads, then through the NY State thruway a distance of 903 miles from our house; but it's 911 (only 8 more miles) on that southern route. The fuel and time for those 8 miles is negligible, but the reduction in tolls is substantial: only a bit in Massachusetts. And the roads are generally decent to good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    Ez pass fees and rules vary from state to state depending on where you got it. No monthly fee or separate registrations in NH. No discount either. But all states in the system will honor it, no mater which state you got it through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thehandwerker View Post
    My wife and I did almost the same trip in our new 2017 337RLS including a visit to GD (We live in Castle Rock CO going to New Hampshire then down the east coast). When I started mapping out our route my GPS recommended E470, I called express toll just to see what traveling the one section of E470 would cost me. I was surprised when they told me $80.00 for one way (this is a 14 mile section), the reason for the high cost we were told was, we would have 4 axles, 2 on truck, 2 on the fifth wheel which would make us commercial traffic. I did not call any of the other toll companies in the other states guessing they were probably similar as far as 4 axles. So I then decided to buy an RV specific GPS, recorded all of my specifications into the GPS and clicked avoid tolls. I felt that was a great decision after the trip, when looking at the total time frame going to New Hampshire from Colorado the difference between tolls and no tolls was less than four hours plus we got to see the back roads of America, the small towns, shops and rural areas side (which was Awesome). The unit I purchased was a Rand McNally RVND 7735 which was compatible Good Sam's Trip Planner at the time. I am not advocating for the Rand McNally GPS because Good Sam's has changed their Trip Planner format and I do not feel it works as well as it once did, but there are other RV specific GPS out there to look at.
    I will never take my RV on E470 because of the tolls I think that is the highest toll road in the country because it is private. I too have a Rand McNally 7735 which is good but it has tried to take me places that the rv should never go. I am still trying to work out the return trip.
    2015 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.7 PSD
    2018 315 RLTS

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast